Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK, Parallels 7/Win7 on a Mac - no wizards, kinda

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been trying to get this resolved for the last day-and-a-half.

I'm on a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, Parallels and 7/Win7. I'm taking a C++ programming class, so I have Visual C++ installed on my Win7 virtual machine. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the August 2007 Direct X and Dark GDK more times than I care to think about.

When Visual C++ opens, and I click File->New->Project, the Wizards option is not in the left panel.

The wizard files are in both locations they're supposed to be in the programs folder and the My Documents folder.

When I click Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories, then click the drop down menus for Show Directories->Include files and -> Library files, the required files are there, as has been discussed in other threads.

Someone has mentioned .vsz files and modifying them, but I don't have .vsz files, I have .vsdir files and icon files.

I'm at a loss, and cannot do my homework until I get this resolved. Can someone PLEASE help me? Is there a problem running this in Parallels?
hookkshot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 02:42
which visual studio are you using

Trixiesirish
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using Visual C++ 2008 Express. Apparently I'm not on immediate email notification. Sorry for the delay.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 08:37 Edited at: 1st Feb 2012 08:44
What school do you go to, out of curiosity?

To help you with your question, try this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=118371&b=22

Also this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=168718&b=22

Can your professor help you set up your environment?

Trixiesirish
Years of Service
User Offline
That thread was not remotely helpful. I saw it last week when I was researching this.

Going to Crafton Hills College in Yucaipa. No, the professor could not help me set up my envrionment (I'll leave it at that - I love the way she's teaching the class, and she's not a tech). The guys in the computer lab were rather helpful, and we think this is a Parallels issue. I'm now trying to do an install on VirtualBox, which, unlike Parallels, is free, and doesn't seem to ingratiate itself into the MacOS nearly as much. One of the lab techs was able to install all the components for the Visual C++ and Dark GDK on his MacBook Pro/VirtualBox installation and get the Wizards to come up. Now that I'm caught up with my Cisco homework, I can work on this today. Wish me luck.
Trixiesirish
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, installed VirtualBox/Win7 on my Mac running 10.6.8 and then everything according to the directions.

Got the wizards to come up (yay!), compiled my very basic code

#include "DarkGDK.h"

void DarkGDK()

{
dbprint("This is my first program!");
dbWaitKey();

}
, and when I go to run the code, I get four error messages:

Failed to get device caps
Failed to find valid stencil buffer
Unable to create device
Unable to setup 3D device

GAAHH! I googled this, found it might be a video memory error, allocated more memory to video, and still nada. I get the same when running the same on my laptop running XP.

Can anyone please help?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
It sounds like your virtual machine does not have 3d acceleration.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:51:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:51:56