Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Tutorials for QuickODE?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2012 04:41 Edited at: 28th Jan 2012 05:13
I downloaded quickode today to use for physics. I wanted to ask if there is any tutorial available for it, and also I was wondering if anyone can help me get Intellisense to parse the library? It would make it alot easier to get it working if I had the function prototypes pop up when I started typing!!! Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: I got some of the basics figured out, but my gravity keeps making me endlessly float upward. I am trying to use an FPSC level:

Any reason why I have become a balloon?
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2012 16:02
Hey, thanks for trying QuickODE!

Hm, strange, the objects even floated upwards when you where using a negative gravity?

Also you where creating a static box from the level model by using this:

But if this is a complex level model you want to make a static mesh from it instead, like this:

xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2012 18:17 Edited at: 28th Jan 2012 18:39
Hey pauli, I really appreciate you answering my post! Yeah, even with negative gravity, just floated right up over the level lol. No idea why that was happening. Like I said I really wasn't sure how to use this toolkit because I've never used a physics engine before so thank you for the tip about the static mesh . Is there any kind of documentation on your library or do you plan on updating it to work with intellisense at all? BTW when I made an example with a box as the ground the gravity worked fine, maybe the box/mesh thing was the problem. I'm going to try it now. I really like your library so far. Will the engine keep you within the level as well or do I have to provide that myself? I'm sorry I know very little about physics engines.

EDIT: The static mesh fixed the upward floating part, but now I just pass right through the floor!!! Any ideas how to fix that? Also, will I have to write my own code for climbing stairs and stuff like that? I should probably read a little more lol.

EDIT #2: Haha sry i forgot to mention that intellisense finally picked up the header and is giving me the info I need now
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2012 21:08
Quote: "Haha sry i forgot to mention that intellisense finally picked up the header and is giving me the info I need now"

When it stops working you can just delete the .ncb file, the intellisense will then regenerate itself and should work.

@Pauli - I will be in touch soon, been busy finishing other stuff.

xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Matty, I also downloaded your library Fulcrum Physics. I am having problems setting it up though. I downloaded the Physx SDK (v 2.8.1 I was told includes the 2.8.3 update?) and installed it but I am getting the error:

I know that this is not a problem with your library; however, I wondered if you may have any advice for me. I read the install file but I may have to look over it again because I must have done something wrong.
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I officially can't figure this out lol. I just keep falling right through the level with QuickODE. I have tried everything I could think of. I used the CreateStaticMesh(), I have used dbMakeMeshFromObject and then fed that result into CreateStaticMesh (). I have no idea why I keep falling through the level. Should I try to rebuild my ode.lib?
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2012 12:15
Quote: "Hey pauli, I really appreciate you answering my post!"

I'm glad someone is still using this, so I hope we can get your problem solved!
This also gets me motivated to work on an update for this library
I haven't worked on it for a while now, sorry...

Quote: "@Pauli - I will be in touch soon, been busy finishing other stuff."

The same goes for me, so no problem mate, just take your time!

Quote: "Ok, I officially can't figure this out lol. I just keep falling right through the level with QuickODE."

Ok, maybe you can upload a project with the required media? I think I'll have to take a closer look. It's hard to tell what's going wrong without actually seeing it.

xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats no problem. I guess I should just zip it up and attach it to a post? I never did that before on this site lol. Ok, I zipped it up and attached it to this post. This level has been giving me fits b/c I can't get the textures to work on it either. Oh, wait. I used the test level from DarkGDK tutorials for this one b/c I couldnt get the level to texture so that is why it is the demo level. I still fall through though. Maybe too you could give me a small example of how to make a working player controller box? If it's not asking too much I appreciate you taking the time to look this over. Sorry the file is too big with the texture bank but if you have fpsc you can just copy the textures over to the debug directory.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:00:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:00:33