Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Using AGK a mac?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 22:58 Edited at: 1st Feb 2012 23:00
The mac version of AppGameKit, I prefer to use macs though I also own PCs, it says mac is only tier 2 on the forums, but on the buy page I don't see two different versions, perhaps its because I am browsing on a mac, so if one was online on a PC, perhaps there are two versions, or perhaps they did away with 2 tiers and its only the one now, and you buy AppGameKit with both included.
Also if an app is made in the tier 1 Basic can the project be opened in the mac version and deployed to all platforms.

(Can a mod please add 'on' into the title of the post /I must of made a typo, I like things to be clear so it helps those doing a search.)

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 00:34
Quote: " it says mac is only tier 2 on the forums, but on the buy page I don't see two different versions,"

They come bundled together so you can't either tier by itself.

I did see a bit of chit-chat around the forums about tier 1 for mac, however.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 01:31
Does AppGameKit run on a mac, can I develop apps with it on the mac? and I dont mean running windows os simulations, I mean on a straight mac machine?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 10:20
Not in Tier 1 at the moment, sorry. Tier 2 is an SDK that can be used with Xcode.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
On Mac, use Xcode with the AppGameKit T2 SDK. This is how Steve Jobs meant it to be!
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:39
What I mean is open AppGameKit in a mac and start programming, compile on a mac, see the program running on a mac. compile to all platforms on a mac, (bar windows as I dont think it will work for that)
I am not talking about, program on a PC, then export to a mac in xcode for deployment for mac or IOS. I mean use AppGameKit on a mac, in the same way you use it on a PC.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:47 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 12:48
AGK comes with both versions, Tier 1 and Tier 2:
Tier 1
You program in Basic
Tier 2
You program using native languages like C++ and Xcode and include the AppGameKit SDK in your project to use the AppGameKit command set

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:48 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 12:48
Quote: "What I mean is open AppGameKit in a mac and start programming, compile on a mac, see the program running on a mac. compile to all platforms on a mac, (bar windows as I dont think it will work for that)
I am not talking about, program on a PC, then export to a mac in xcode for deployment for mac or IOS. I mean use AppGameKit on a mac, in the same way you use it on a PC."

Simply put, yes you can.

However, it's not as simple as that. Tier 1 (The easy peasy BASIC version) isn't available to you unless you use a PC.

You can however use XCode and AppGameKit Tier 2 to write Mac/iOS apps natively on the Mac.

I hope that clears it up a little.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:48
Ninja'd you Prof

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot create AppGameKit Windows progs on a Mac, just like you cannot create AppGameKit ios/mac progs on a PC
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:11
Unless you use a virtual machine...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:30
@Baxlash:
With regard to VM's, I'm guessing it's ok for a Mac user with a VM to make a Tier 1 app and publish it for the PC? Assuming they legitimately own a copy of Windows for the installation.

I know Apple are a little bit* anal about the licencing, and you are not allowed to run MacOS on anything but Mac hardware, which is a little unfair if you ask me.

* - Read as "extremely", I have a Virtual Mac running on my Win 7 rig which I was hoping to use to publish iOS apps. I am now having to publish to Android 1st and am saving up for a Mac which I plan on keeping in a drawer and never admiting to owning, lol.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:39
Quote: "I know Apple are a little bit* anal about the licencing, and you are not allowed to run MacOS on anything but Mac hardware, which is a little unfair if you ask me."

Yes, so I believe. I could have sworn I saw a tutorial on getting at least one of the Mac OS's working on a VM at some point, although I've no idea whether you would still be able to develop on one. You can do the reverse though and run windows on a Mac for development purposes as Lee posted a video on YouTube showing this (at least it was one of the TGC team)...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Prof, if you have MacOs on your VM, why will you buy a Mac?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:44 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 13:45
Here was one link I found:
http://martinml.com/en/how-to-install-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-in-virtualbox/

EDIT: Not sure of the legality of this link but as far as I can tell you need a legitimate copy of the OS in the first place so I would have thought that makes it OK?

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:45 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 13:45
@bjadams:
The licencing on the MacOS forbids me from running it on anything but a Mac, so I can't really use a VM for anything other than in house testing. I intend to publish games to the iOS market so I had best do things properly.

@baxslash:
I think thats the one I followed.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:47
Quote: "The licencing on the MacOS forbids me from running it on anything but a Mac"

I haven't seen the licence so I can't comment on that but if it appears the link I posted is proposing an illegal act I will happily take the link down...?

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:50 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 13:52
Quote: "Does AppGameKit run on a mac, can I develop apps with it on the mac? and I dont mean running windows os simulations, I mean on a straight mac machine?"

I dont want to run on windows, my windows OS are all busted, hey whats new, thats why I buy macs, and I want to develop with AppGameKit on a mac, thats what I am asking here.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:58 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 13:59
@Fallen one:

Four people have just told you "Yes you can", but you must use Tier 2 and XCode.

I took your question to mean "Can I use AppGameKit on a Mac to make and distribute Mac apps", which the answer is quite clearly a resounding yes.

As far as I'm aware, XCode is free to download assuming you have a valid Mac Developers Licence. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 14:12
But I take it you cannot build for other platforms on the mac, ie android and the rest?

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 14:22
The player won't work no; as that is a Tier 1 feature.

As for Tier 2, You'd have to look through the guides as to what you need to do using what software for the various platforms and see if the software you need is available for the Mac.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well what do you expect? Apple does not want us to build iOS/Mac apps on PC, so do you expect to be able to build Windows apps on Macs?!!!!! No way!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 10:40
Quote: "But I take it you cannot build for other platforms on the mac, ie android and the rest?"

You can download the android sdk for mac but again, it's tier 2.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 22:55:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 22:55:45