Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Is it true that the FPSCX10 is not supported anymore?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 23:15
,,,and does this mean that FPSCX10 is abandoned by TGC????

I have seen many updates coming out for X9.
Maybe it's pure business related: More paying customers for X9, less for X10?

Anyway I find it kinda odd. Many indie game developers, and large commersial game companies creates games so that even low spec PC's can run them, in other terms, so that as many people as possible can play them. (I understand the benefits of thinking like this)

But,,, DirectX9,,,, feels pretty worn out and maybe in a year or two it will even become outdated.

Microsoft decided to remove the backwards compability in DX10 (There are still some kind of compability similar to a virtual PC)
And now,,, the latest version is DirectX11. I bet most game creators/gamers have Win7 x64 and DirectX11 cards already. Soon we'll probably even see DirectX12.

So why not keep on working with FPSCX10?

www.memblockgames.com
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 23:41
Quote: ",,,and does this mean that FPSCX10 is abandoned by TGC????"

unfortunately yes

Quote: "So why not keep on working with FPSCX10?"

TGC company is practicaly one person whos does most of the work. One person can't work in parallel on FPSC x9, x10, DBpro, DarkGDK and AppGameKit, especialy if you know that these days most of the TGC income comes from AGK

mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 00:02
Ofcource I understand that companies, like eg. Microsoft is a huge company with lots of employees, resulting in fast, or nearly rapid development of DirectX for example.

If TGC also where huge with a lot of employees, none of their products would be banned.

I don't think that Lee thought: 'oh, well,, now we have created FPSCX10. That was fun! But now,, let's abandon it. If there was enough time and resources, and ofcource bringing income we would probably already have DX11 support in all products or similar.

This is a sad, and seems to be a fact. Especially since I like TGC. Imagine what eg. DarkBasic would be, and sure have the potential to be.

I like game editors, but yet coding makes you more free. I have tried coding with DirectX API, and also Windows API and that is more of a nightmare.

www.memblockgames.com
pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
i think lee made a mistake not going forward with x10,
some day it will come back and bite him in the ass,
agk is good i have it myself but to many on the band wagon now,
if it was not for budokaiman, then i think x10 would have died a long time ago. x9 has come a long way but is still limited.
i see a lot of people soon abandoning ship and going over to udk
in the near future, dont get me wrong x9 and x10 is probaly one
of the best tools to get you started on the game making path,
but both have there problems and head aches,
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 18:08 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2012 18:09
Fact is FPSC X9 is better than X10 now.

The only feature X10 users are grasping onto is instancing but that kind of sucks because who wants to fill their level with the same character model anyway.

You are investing too much into the importance of having the latest DirectX. UDK still supports X9 it just also supports the few additional features X10 and X11 offer but X9 is still the bread and butter of all game engines.

Adding support for a couple extra features is not going to make FPSC any better. The grass roots of the engine need to be improved and all of this is being done in X9 now so there is no future for FPSC X10. It was also a commercial failure so TGC are not going to invest the little support they have available to it.

Just enjoy X9 for the things which can be achieved on there or move to another engine which supports the extra features your graphics card supports.

X10 had its chance a long time ago and it took over a year just to patch the show stopper bugs. It has never been improved since release, only patched to make it backwards compatible with X9 media.

It should've had dynamic shadows, soft particles and lots of other cool things which could have made a difference but they were removed before release. I don't mind that X10 didn't work out but we lost about 2 years in any real improvements to either engine which is the worse crime.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 21:53
Quote: "The only feature X10 users are grasping onto is instancing but that kind of sucks because who wants to fill their level with the same character model anyway."

Say you have a large-scale battle scene. You're not going to have 50 different characters. You'll have 3 or 4 repeated 50 times. This has negligible effect on the performance. Every big-name game does it.

This isn't a matter of what Direct X version is better. It's a matter of what engine is better and has more potential. Sure, FPSC X9 has more vanilla features now. X10 has better performance, graphics, (arguably) the best FPSC mod out there, which makes the scripting capabilities endless.

I'm not going to say which FPSC is better, but you discredit x10 without seeming to know a whole lot about the current state of it.

Cheesehead for life.
mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 22:35
I'm not miscrediting either X9 or X10. It sure has to do with how the engine is programmed to benefit the greatest performance of any DX version acctualy and it's compatible graphics card.

But, I'm thinking a little about software- and hardware acceleration. Since DX10 is not backwards compatible with DX9, but it's still compatible via some kind of virtual machine. Then everything is software accelered?

www.memblockgames.com
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 01:21
Quote: "I'm not miscrediting either X9 or X10. "

I was referring to Nomad

Cheesehead for life.
Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 03:50
...If they truly stopped all support for the X10 version... Then how much longer does the X9 version have left? How long before FPSC is canned alltogether? I know it sounds dumb, but still...

Where in the world is Charlie Ruckus?
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 04:46
Quote: "Then how much longer does the X9 version have left?"

It still has a lot of core problems that have yet to be fixed (a big one is performance), and a lot are shared with x10. I think before either can progress, a lot of these core problems need to be fixed.

Except this thread will most likely end in a flame war that has played out dozens of times before, as this discussion has been had so many times. We should stop before any hostilities arise, yes?

Cheesehead for life.
Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 05:33 Edited at: 4th Feb 2012 05:38
Performance wise... Ehh... I always thought it depended on the user's system more than the engine itself? Ya know... a hot-rod PC with 10 GB of memory and the most expensive graphics card money can buy? Plus I thought that after V1.120, we were supposed to get the "V2.0" version, or something along that line...

P.S.- AND FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE, NO FLAMING!!!

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 07:24
Quote: "I always thought it depended on the user's system more than the engine itself?"

To a certain degree. But with FPSC, it's not optimized for huge scenes, so no matter your specs, the performance won't be great. This is much less of a problem in x10 as it's optimized a lot better, and removing the FPS cap has no negative effects. I can get ~400 fps on my rig.

Cheesehead for life.
Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 09:15
Yeah I know. Large outdoor scenes and/or mass enemies is a cardinal sin in an X9 game. Heck I was playing around with an outdoor city scene that took up roughly half the map. Couldn't get more than 9 FPS out of it. Even with the shaders turned off. Then again my system is by no means a powerhouse, lol. Sure it's got 2 GB and a crappy integrated card. Nothing mind blowing, IMO...

P.S.- You wouldn't happen to know what the max number of enemies that one could put in one level that maybe takes up at most 40% of the map(under the pretense that one would have a Windows 7 gaming PC as a working platform)? I know the number could vary greatly, like how many doors, static entities, and dynamic entities are in the level, among other factors...

Norion
Years of Service
User Offline
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2012 05:04
Quote: "ou wouldn't happen to know what the max number of enemies that one could put in one level that maybe takes up at most 40% of the map"

Which FPSC are you talking about here?

Cheesehead for life.
mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2012 11:02
None of the engines are better or worse than the other. It just depends on which type of game you want to create. As with any engine. No engine out there is suitable for any type of game

www.memblockgames.com
Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2012 21:26
Well, that explains a lot.

@Le Shortie- X9, but Norion answered it already.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 15:53
The biggest problem with X10 is as follows (not flaming just a fact)

The shader pipeling in X10 is very restrictive in that it does provide better out of the box shaders than X9 but you pay a huge price in not being able to add custom shaders.

Its not backwards compatible with X9 and even fewer people know how to write X10 shaders than X9 which is why we haven't seen any on the forums. Some of the shaders in X10 are hard coded so you can't edit them.

Thats why X9 FPSC games look way better than X10 FPSC games now. Most people don't even go to the bother of using the bump and specular mapping supported and diffuse textures with a little bloom doesn't really cut it these days.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
but we have a nicer forum, thats why your here

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:54:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:54:17