Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Blitz Terrain Rendering Incorrectly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 07:32
Hi,
I have compiled some of the demo blitz terrain examples and I am getting a lot of lines drawn from the top left corner of the screen to various points on the terrain. I am running blitz terrain under c++ vs2008 express - direct x Aug 2007. On an ASUS net EEePC net book.

Has any one got an ideas why the scene isn't rendering correctly ?

Thanks Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 11:33
I think those lines are supposed to seam together each sector, not sure why one end of each line has gone loopy like that. Try making terrain from 1 sector and see if you get less lines? If so then I may be correct, although a terrain with one sector is not useful in any way

You should post on the blitz terrain wip thread as this thread may go unnoticed.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:40
I had similar issues with BlitzTerrain drawing these lines everywhere. Unfortunatly at that time the problem couldn't be solved, which forced me to stop using BT. I don't know if it has been fixed or if the reason for this bug has even been discovered yet...

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:02
Yeah, Matty H is correct. They are supposed to prevent little holes appearing in the terrain as each chunk is rendered separately. This could be an issue with DirectX. Try running the DirectX web updater, if this doesn't solve the bug then I'll have a look into it.

I've seen a few errors like this during development and its mainly caused by invalid vertex data. As you seem to be the only person with this problem, I'll assume its your DirectX version for now.

I'll probably be going ahead with another update of Blitzwerks Terrain 2 to see if we can fix a few bugs.
zog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 23:57
Thanks for looking into this for me. I used the web updater to update directX sdks on my machine, alas this did not fix the problem. However I put the built exe on a usb stick drive and ran it on my big
computer, and it rendered perfectly from the top view with no lines being rendered incorrectly. What I have noticed on both versions is that if you view the terrain from the wrong side the seams between the terrain splits are rendered when they should be invisible, could this be linked to the same problem ?

I write a lot of software on my netbook these days because of its portability. It's not the most powerful machine in the world and obviously has it draw backs for game development!

Its an ASUS EEe PC Intel atom 1.66 GHz 1 GB of memory

Graphics Mobile Intel(R) 945 Chipset

Windows XP SP3

Thanks Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
It could be an overflow error causing one of the points to reset to 0,0.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 15:51
kaedroho - Would it be possible to add a command to remove the lines? Only if simple of course. This way, if a customer has this issue the developer can add an option in a set up file to remove them, I don't know what it would look like without them but it would surly be better than that screenie above.

While I got you here Do you know why terrains still show a little even with light 0 hidden and ambient light at 0? It may be the case for all terrain plugins as well as the default terrain commands, I'm not sure. I would really like to try having the terrain completely black if possible, I have just been playing around with night scenes and thought that might be better.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 16:09 Edited at: 6th Mar 2012 16:10
Matty H, I'll put that on the list of things to do for the next BT2 update!

Try disabling the lighting by using "set object light terrain, 0" (DBPro).

BT 3 has been my main project recently. Nothing to show yet though. The first tech demos will come under the name of "OpenTerrain" (I'll be posting videos on youtube). BT3 will simply be a wrapper of OpenTerrain.

Again, sorry for being a bit difficult to get hold of! I've got quite a few things going on in real life which is making it harder to put a lot of time onto the forums.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:36:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:36:35