Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New commands for 107

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The Feb newsletter mentions the addition of these new commands to the new 107 release.

SetScissor()
SetSpriteSnap()
SetSortCreated()
GetPixelsDrawn()

What do these do?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 11:17
Good question! I was wondering about those too...

I'm guessing:
SetScissor() - crop a sprite?
SetSpriteSnap() - make a sprite snap to a position based on a value IE. Rounding sprite positions?
SetSortCreated() - array sorting?
GetPixelsDrawn() - get the number of pixels that have a sprite / text pixel drawn on the back buffer (IE. not background colour)?

Just guessing though...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 11:25
Quote: "Good question! I was wondering about those too..."

As have I.

Quote: "GetPixelsDrawn() - get the number of pixels that have a sprite / text pixel drawn on the back buffer (IE. not background colour)?"

I think it's more GET IMAGE oriented but I'm only guessing as well.

I'm very curious about the GetScissor() command.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
They say there will be 50 new commands! I'm very curious to know the rest!!!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 11:47
I wish I could help you out there but sadly I can't

Hopefully the rest of the drawing commands will be in there and it would be nice to have access to device cameras where available. Whatever is there will be very useful and a fun new addition I'm sure!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:05
I am much more keen in the network commands... and it seems I will be restricted to just the android market unless google decides to charge a yearly fee too...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:38 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2012 12:40
I'm quite looking forward to the http commands and the AdMob stuff; the Date and Time commands are a godsend as well. I was also quite looking forwards to the image creation commands for my UI Module, but I have spent the last two weeks working out ways to code it without them.

@MrValentine:
Is the $25 licence fee for Android development a one off payment then? I just assumed it was yearly the same as the iOS one is.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:51
Dunno regardless $25 compared to $99 is breathable... I think the Android one was one off but I can not see that link of yours without singing in and sorry but I do not want to do it at the moment... what does that page state?

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 12:54
@MrValentine:
Quote: "Before you can publish software on the Android Market, you must do three things:
•Create a developer profile
•Agree to the Android Market Developer Distribution Agreement
•Pay a registration fee ( $25.00) with your credit card (using Google Checkout)"

I'd not actually checked into it this much before (I was leaving it till I had a game finished, lol). I had read that an Android licence was about £30 a year; but the sign up page makes me think it's a one off.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:02
Dunno regardless $25 compared to $99 is breathable... I think the Android one was one off but I can not see that link of yours without singing in and sorry but I do not want to do it at the moment... what does that page state?that wording would suggest it is a one off... (hate it when UK costs are higher than US costs)

[ie... in USD$ its $50 and in the UK GBP its £50 ]

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
$25 Android registration is a ONE TIME fee!
The Apple $99 is yearly.
Blackberry is FREE!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:09
Haha goes to show how desperate Blackberry is

I can not wait to see the full list... if it has everything I need I might try to cross integrate my first pc game with android...

Carl where are you¿

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 13:24
@bjadams:
Thanks for clearing that up

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 15:45
Quote: "SetScissor()
SetSpriteSnap()
SetSortCreated()
GetPixelsDrawn()

What do these do?
"

SetScissor() - Sets up a rectangle that will clip all rendering, can also be set per sprite to clip individual sprites.
SetSpriteSnap() - Turns on/off the coordinate rounding that forces sprites onto whole pixels to stop some flickering when sprites move across the screen. But when turned on it can look like the sprite is jumping from one pixel to the next, so it's optional.
SetSortCreated() - draw sprites that have the same depth in the order they were created (the documentation saying this already happens was in fact optimistic and not correct in all cases), it's slightly more work for the renderer to do, so it's optional.
GetPixelsDrawn() - Returns a rough estimate of how many pixels were drawn in the last frame, good for checking fill rate limited devices.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 15:50
Ah, very interesting. Thanks Paul!

Is co-ordinate rounding turned on or off by default when using a pixel based system (IE.setVirtualResolution)?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 16:46
In the current version it attempts to detect when coordinate rounding should be turned on, mostly if a sprite is non-rotated, but the new version will keep it on or off based on your preference. The coordinate system has no effect on it as you could still position a sprite at an X value of 10.5 even on a one to one pixel resolution.
ManOfActionTM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 16:50
If I read SetScissor right, I sure wish I would have had that for Double Pinochle. Oh well, I'm sure these and all of their other commands will be handy for someone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:39:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:39:35