Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / beginning with 3d modelling/animation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 23:22
Hi
I want to dive in into making 3d content for my games. everything from props to characters, and animation.

To be honest, I don't know anything about this. I'm reading a book that covers the topic, so I hope that it will teach me all that I need to know. The problem is that this books tutoeials uses maya. I have downloaded the student version.

Maya seems to be a great software, but it's way to expensive for me as a private person.

What I want to ask here is if someone can recommend a good easy-to-use 3d software that is affordable, and perhaps is a little similar to maya?

www.memblockgames.com
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 23:32
Erm, I don't know of any that's similar to Maya but there's always Blender 3D. It's free and just about as good as anything you would pay for out there.
http://www.blender.org/

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 23:37
Thanks, I'll try it out

www.memblockgames.com
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 03:55
Blender is great! cg cookies makes some amazing tuts.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no affiliate links thanks
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 16:55
Yeah if you are starting out, Blender offers some great tools to get you going, the UI WAS a bit of a nightmare to get used to, but it's that long since i have used it, i may be a lot more user friendly now.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 19:47
The UI is much better now, I used to love the old interface but decided to switch to the 2.5 series, haven't regretted that decision yet. It's a lot easier to find things too, and the rendering engine has sped up and improved a lot since then too. I would recommend getting the latest 2.62, very good release of it.

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 16:31
Sounds good, since im an avid 3ds max user, the old ui pretty much scared me off, might give the new one a shot.

nnndohh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 01:41
look at the website of daz3d, their still offering daz studio and hexagon 2.5 for free, might wanna check that too
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2012 00:51
I could never get into Blender because of its old interface and I recently gave it another go and editor is a lot better, though there's some things I'd need to get used to in it.

Plus, you can select a Maya like interface for Blender if you decided.

Hexagon 2.5 is also a good tool, in fact I might recommend (for the sake of using free stuff) Hexagon and Blender to be used together. Hexagon 2.5 is built around modelling and is meant to make it easier and smoother. It also comes with a build in UV Mapping tool and even a 3D paint tool for texturing, bump mapping and displacement.

I've used Hexagon 2 since around release and I used to have a lot of trouble with it, it was quite buggy, but since 2.5 it seems a lot more stable - I had a few problems up until I changed the Open GL settings around a bit. Hexagon is only free for a limited time.

Blender is a full 3D package, so you've got the modelling, animation and rendering. Some 3D modellers prefer to use outside tools alongside their main 3D package, hence the recommendation for Hexagon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:20:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:20:54