Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Voice over and equipment question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've never bought a microphone before, and wouldn't know the ins and outs of where to even begin. I have a Rock Band microphone, and my PC recognizes it, but would saving up for a decent mic be worth the investment? Also, I have DarkVOICES, but I also have Adobe Soundbooth, would anyone know which would be better to use for voice over work?

And a small question not relating to the above. I'm planning on doing some 3D cut scenes as a teaser for my upcoming novels I'm writing. I'm sure my PC can handle everything I throw at it, but wanted to know as a just in case, if there were anything special that I would need?

Thanks to all who reply.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 22:06
Regarding the decent mic question:

I've been using a Nady mic that I think was $40... probably less... for years. It is perfect, in my opinion. It's also low impedance so I run it through a preamp before the PC. So the answer is: if it sounds good then why get better? And with audio editing programs you can usually remove white noise so unless it is horrible, I'd use it.

As for your next question:
DarkVOICES is a program that you use to lip-sync 3D models to audio.
Adobe Soundbooth is just audio editing.

Then for if you need anything special:
Well, I'm not sure I'd use DarkBASIC for 3D animation. If you want it to be interactive, then I'd use DBPro, but I think you'd be much better served by learning Blender for this. Besides that, it takes a good machine to render high def 3D scenes in a reasonable amount of time. I've got an AMD Phenom X6 1090T and dual Radeon HD5830s and it takes about 2-5 seconds per frame of 1900x1080 with not a lot of shadows. At 24fps it can add up quite quickly.

Give me a buzz if you need more info. I've got a ton of resources on Blender if your interested in learning.

Spiritgod
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Naphier, you've been a big help.

I think I'll keep the mic I'm using for the time being. So far it doesn't sound terrible, but I may look into a more decent one in the future.

Yeah, I asked the audio software questions without using DarkVOICES, an error on my part.

I'm now downloading Blender. Question, what is the archive download link next to the blender install link? I noticed the archive was a .zip file but the installer wasn't.

Also would you be able to give me an idea of how well my system could handle 3D scene rendering? Just in case I'll list my specs:

Intel i7-2600K 3.4GHz
Radeon HD 6950 2GB
16 GB 1866 RAM (No idea if speed of RAM is good for anything but gaming, but I'm listing it anyway.)
And no idea if an operating system would need to be listed buy Windows 7 64bit
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 19:59 Edited at: 9th Feb 2012 20:49
The zip archive is if you want to install it yourself.
I always use the exe installer.

An i7 should be just fine for rendering. You'd even be able to render on old computers, just smaller images and longer times.

There's also a ton of good tutorials here:
http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/
I started with Blender Beginner's Course, which was great and lots of gratifying results. If you go through this you'll quickly be making some animation and be able to see how well your system can handle it.
Beware though, Blender's interface is not built for ease of learning, it is built for ease of use. So there's a bit of difficulty in remembering what everything does and where everything is, but once you learn you can model some nice stuff pretty quickly (takes me about 1 hour to do a basic model like a rocket or a ship, or a satellite with some minimal animation).
You can see some of the rendered images I made in minimal time here:
manns41078.deviatnart.com

Spiritgod
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again! Hopefully I'll be making 3D rendered cut scenes/movies for my projects in no time. But one step at a time, and my first step will be those tutorials. And really, thanks for all your help.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 22:07
You're welcome. Feel free to give em a buzz on gmail if you need help with Blender.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 21:51
Quote: "need help with Blender."

me

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 22:02
http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Is where I started, Mr.V.
Let me know if you're stuck at any particular spots.
If you go through these videos you'll have the basics down quite well.

manns41078@gmail.com is my e-mail. Feel free to contact me.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 01:16 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 01:17
Quote: "Naphier"

thanks I will hopefully have a look at it sometime this week less I forget about it life is kicking up again... [goes to download blender... again]

EDIT

corrections...
Ah forgot to mention I flagged the email for that post as not to forget

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 17:24
Can't believe I forgot that 3D Buzz... they have awesome tutorials on Blender as well as many other programming / game development topics.
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/content.php?223

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 12:34:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 12:34:51