Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blue Core

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 22:48 Edited at: 24th Jul 2012 15:47
Hello everybody!
After being taught how to do everything by you guys for years, I've finaly started making a game in DarkGDK, that I might just finish one day.

The game is called Blue Core. It is an action/arcade game. The goal of the game is to finish it, and finishing it is quite a challenge.

Story

The game takes place in the future. In the space exploration age. The player is himself, someone who is good with controlling things with a keyboard. You are a recruit on a spaceship owned by some random company, that transports goods to distant depths of space. The ships need to travel great distances and that is achieved by nuclear fusion. The gameplay area is a generator core on a space ship, where the fusion takes place. The reaction releases highly energised and very deadly particles. The core is sourounded by a shield that protects the rest of the ship from the particles. After an unfortunate mishap the shield is destroyed and only a small fragment of it is left. The crew is stuck far away from home in empty space. You are chosen to be the savior of your ship, because you are a man of reflexes and youth. The ship engineers hook the shield fragment up to the outer walls of the reactor core and it is up to you to move it around via a computer terminal and protect the ship and crew from the deadly particles that the fusion will emit, once the ship starts moving towards home.

Work log

= done
= working on it now
= idea for the future

Basic gameplay
Main menu
Level selection menu
Game over screen
Speed boost feature
Avoid mode
Split (A feature where you suddenly get two shield fragments out of one and each of them moves in an opposite direction.
Sometimes the shield size decreases.
Enable event stacking (I need to rewrite the code so that I will be able to stack events. Example: I can make a speed boost, and then another speed boost and within those I enable avoid mode, so in this part of the level you would have to avoid particles that would fly out in 2x speed)
Game auto-saves
Integration of all levels (There are 30 levels but most are contentless for now)
Animation
Bullet time
I'm trying to think of more features like this, so that the game won't be a completely boring. I'm accepting ideas from the public.
Local multiplayer (two players battle it out on the same computer. They each control a shield fragment. The core is split in half. Player one plays on the top half and player two on the bottom. Both of them are recieving exactly the same pattern of particles. Whoever dies first buys drinks)
Local multiplayer (one player controlls the shield and the other controlls the particles... because it might just be fun)
Local co-op
Pause screen
Screen transitions
Story sequences
Art (it's taking quite a while now... but I guess it's good to have most of the game done before I start implementing art)
Fullscreen support
Getting it to compile in release mode (got some weird errors that nobody was able to help me out with so far)

Media

Here are all the videos of the game listed in chronological order:

First look:

New feature - Speed boost:

Animation test:

New feature - Avoid mode:

New feature - Downsizing:

New feature - Split;

New feature - Slow motion

*Note that all the visuals that you see are placeholder programmer art.

Music:
New Planet (medium difficulty): http://www.bonsteelaudio.com/mp3/new_planet.mp3

Zong(hard difficulty): http://www.bonsteelaudio.com/mp3/zong.mp3

Those are original soundtracks created by Brian Bonsteel. Homepage: http://www.bonsteelaudio.com/

I have uploaded a prototype of the game!
Post your BRAGGING RIGHTS screenshots below!

(Note that the purpose of the prototype is only to display the basic functions and dynamics of the gameplay. All of the art is placehiolder art, music is not yet included, there has been minimal time spent on designing the levels.)

Feedback is much appreciated.
Thank you for everything that you have taught me so far. I couldn't have started making games without you guys!
Also don't forget to visit the blog by clicking the banner below. For more frequent updates you can also follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/SvargaForge

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Try out the prototype and post a screenshot of the "BRAGGING RIGHTS" if you're skilled enough to finish it!

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
At the last levels first i thought

but then...

Nice work, keep on it
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn it was in the media folder all along...

-Mental Hybrid: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~40% (primary project)
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS (canned) ~15%

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that is a major pain. I can't compile in relase mode due to some unknown errors. But I can tell if you paste the one from the media folder (or make a screenshot of it) or actually beat the game. So don't cheat cause I'll call you out on it. Good job on finishing it guys. Want to give me any feedback?

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Well... what was really annoying, is that i didn't have any feedback of my progress. I was like, after the 10th round or so, "is this still the first stage or what is going on?!"

Also, was unexplainably slow running (i have a very old laptop, but ~15 fps with a dozen plains on the screen is simply not right). Which kinda helped me beating it, but also made me realize that the pad has at least one frame delay before it begins to move where i want it. Which is a killer on the last rounds.

Seriously needs sound effects.

And some indication where the center plans to throw the stuff next... Having the boxes flow the complete other side of the level is not fun, it's annoying as hell.

-Mental Hybrid: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~40% (primary project)
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS (canned) ~15%
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 16:08 Edited at: 18th Feb 2012 16:10
Yes some idication of where you are in the game will be implemented later. The sound effects are also in the making. If you read the OP you can see that this game has a couple of original soundtracks, I just didn't put them into this prototype yet. When there is a pause the particles will always start shooting in the same direction as where they have left off. What you have played does not represent this game as I am planning it to be in its final stage. The levels are going to be way longer and the player will need to play the hard ones a few times to memorise them. But I guess I could put in an indicator if alot of people will have trouble with that. But I'm a little worried about your low fps. Did anyone else have trouble with that?
Thank you for your honest feedback. It helps. But was there anything good about it though?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 19:52
Very interesting and simple concept, addicting too I haven't been able to complete it quite yet

TheComet

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 23:50
Me thinks this would be amazing in 3D with metalic effects!!!!!!!

and mad mental camera shake effects

wow fantastic

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 00:26
lol I absolutely love the titles! I hope you keep them in there in some form if you upgrade the graphics!

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean the titles? You mean like "yay" and "gaem ouvr" and "bragging rights"? The "yay" and "gaem ouvr" are only temporary. I've never considered keeping them. I'll think about keeping the "yay" in there, since the game will not be a serious one. The "gaem ouvr"... it's a bit much(not keeping it). I thought of the bragging rights thing just before I uploaded this prototype. I think I'm going to keep it, because the game will be alot harder than it is now. But if I do, I'll probably enable players to input their name at the start of the game and then their name will show up on the bragging rights screen, so that it will be unique for each player. And I'll let them choose if they want the game to make the screenshot for them. I don't know how or if I'll do that for now.
I'm glad you like the game so far. Any fps issues?
Anyway, stay tuned! there will be plenty of new features to try out. The updates will be slow for a few months but then I'll get back to work full throttle(when I'm done with university for this year).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 10:16
Quote: "when I'm done with university for this year)."

Someone just stole the biggest bragging righrs... me thinks

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't want to brag or anything. But I know that in some countries people say school and in others they say university, because if you say school, it means that you are going to gradeschool, right?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 18:08
Uhh I think you mean College there Wizz

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 15:03
College ≠ University

The Difference

TheComet

The TOTAL size of your sig can only be 600x120, including text and links.
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Well let's not derail this thread any longer. The point is, I have to study a lot for a while, so the game will see little to no updates for a few months. More comments on the game are very welcome.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 22:55
I still think this should go 3D

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Only two people finished the game? Comon guys, it's not even hard yet!

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 07:05 Edited at: 14th Mar 2012 07:15
got to 3-7 before called it quits. It's a great mix of challenging, frustrating, and addicting which is a good thing. I can see it being redone with a bunch of glowy energy style graphics.

I did come across a bug though. in 2-9, the first several tries worked fine but on one try, when the boost_animation started going off, but it got stuck animating and never started spewing out more particles. I had to escape to the menu and reselect the level. It worked as normal again.

Would make a good touch screen app.

The back story/premise could be trimmed up maybe. the details of a mishap and fragment complicate it needlessly. It's a simple straightforward game, you could really just say you operate a fusion reactor, you are in charge of containing stray particles for the safety of your ship.

The avoidance segments are good for gameplay, but don't really fit with the story. If you have to save/shield your ship from radiation, how does letting these dangerous particles slip past you help your situation? You should definatly keep the gameplay, but mabye find a way to explain it or reconcile it with the story.

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much for the feedback and for making a good point. I will definitely think about the story and get more opinions.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
This was really cool until it got stuck flashing endlessly in red (level 2-10, after avoids are all shot) I selected the level again and it worked though
Pretty cool game, although the avoid mode seemed a little easy to me

swis
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes indeed... this is a little prototype I did and I didn't really try hard to make it very good (I'm sorry). It's a bunch of levels that I used for testing the mechanics. Not to mention that levels 7 and 8 are harder than levels 9 and 10, and that there are only 10 levels that repeat in every difficulty. But this prototype represents the feel of the game. The general mechanics of gameplay will very likely stay the same until the final release. The levels will change, the placeholder sprites will be replaced with art and it will have some original soundtracks.

NMM Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 17:27
Very nice concept, Just 1 question... whats it rated?

Visit my blog about my upcoming Action FPS game "No More Mercy" at here:

http://nomoremercy-thegame-blog.blogspot.com.au/
NMM Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 17:28 Edited at: 31st Mar 2012 17:28
Very nice concept, Just 1 question.. whats it rated?

EDIT:

Damn, double post, sorry

Visit my blog about my upcoming Action FPS game "No More Mercy" at here:

http://nomoremercy-thegame-blog.blogspot.com.au/
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 07:35
This is a great concept. With some creative level design and maybe some more special modes or types of blocks (like the ones that make you lose), you could do something great with this.

The short levels and instadeath are a design choice, but I'd personally favor something with longer levels but some kind of health or leeway on mistakes.

Have you ever played any of the BIT.TRIP games (notably Beat, Core, or Flux)? This design reminds me of those. They might make good references for the kind of places you could go with it.

NMM Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 08:09
uh, Wizz..? you sorta seem like a lil' kid, the way the YAY! and the GAEM OVER looks like, it does not fit, and you badly spelt gaem, its GAME, anyway it does not match,
Here are my opinions

-Levels too short
-Too Baby-ish
-Poorly Detailed
-And.. well messy, the YAY! and the GAEM OVER

Don't take it offensive, please don't, but it needs alot of changes
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 09:58
Its temporary art dude, you NEVER do the art first in programming :3

-------------------------------------------------------------
Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 21:21 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 21:22
Yeah, I never meant to show that stuff but then I was too lazy to change it once I started uploading it. Also I spelled "gaem ouvr" wrong on purpose and I agree that it is childish and unfunny.

The prototype is only meant to display the main dynamics of the game. The levels will be longer and there will be more special modes. I'll add this to the first post so that I don't need to keep repeatig it.
Thank you for playing and commenting.

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm easing back into development now, because I'm almost done with school work. I did the classic thing, where the size of the paddle decreases. There's a video in the original post, check it out. I will be working on the split feature now.

Wizz
Years of Service
User Offline
People are incredibly unreliable. I worked with someone who seemed very excited to participate in this project and make art for it. After about a year of nothing getting done I've decided that I will make the art myself. It might not be very good, but at least it will get done and I will learn something in the process.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:43:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:43:41