Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3d modelling program similiar to milkshape?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I quite like milkshape, I especially like the interface as it's extremely simple to do basic operations such as creating boxes, texturing, extruding, scaling, moving vertices/faces and even a bit of animating. And it exports to .x properly!

Either i'm a spastic at 3d modelling programs, or all the others are 'HOPELESSLY COMPLICATED'! I tried blender and gave up after I couldn't figure out the most basic of operations, it's all somewhere buried in a vast and complicated UI system.
I also like the fact that milkshape can be very specific, i.e. rotating or moving an object can be done by entering values, rather than just click n drag (which I almost never use due to 'gaps' in the model).

I'm sure this can all be done in other packages but i'm not a modeller, i'm a programmer. I do however need something to create basic placeholder stuff, or to scale an object to the appropriate size or whatever. Is there anything else suitable?
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 19:41
I've never used milkshape, so I'm not sure on what is similar or not. You could test out Sketchup. I've heard good things about it and it seems to have some decent documentation. Also, Truespace is pretty good. I think Mr. Moondog is a Truespace user.

I don't really like Blender and, in my opinion, I think the UI is not very user friendly. I have seen some very awesome stuff come from it, however. It's probably the best free 3d modeling app out there.

I have also heard Daz 3d's Hexagon is pretty good, but I have never tried it.

Good luck on your modeling endeavors!

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
ok for those who havn't used milkshape i'll describe some of the features

- 4 view perspective, top/left/front/3d
- backface exclusion from both view and selection
- unlimited grid size, I noticed some programs have a fixed grid that only occupies a small portion of the view window
- very easy to select and manipulate vertices/faces/objects, whether single or multiple
- numeric movement/rotation/sizing. Both local and global coordinates
- export to .x format properly, that includes animation and texture data
- extrude faces
- obvious and simple hotkeys to do all basic tasks. I.e. copy/paste selection, select all, select/move/rotate/scale tools, lock axis, zoom/pan camera without having to change tool selection

The last one in particular gets me with some other 3d modelling software i've tried. Something as simple as selecting a face/vertex, or to scale the current selection can be a nightmare. Couple that with wanting to move, rotate or zoom the camera when it forces you to change your tool selection, it does my head in
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 20:36 Edited at: 17th Feb 2012 20:37
ah Milkshape, its only real flaw is that you cannot interact with the 3d space

Are you looking for a free alternative? Otherwise i dont see why you shouldnt use MS3D if you are comfy with it?

edit: its other real flaw is that it doesnt handle Quad polies at all :I

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 23:37
3DS Max is an easy step to go from Milkshape providing you have it down and are experienced with it. You should also have the patience to keep with Max as it canve daunting at times...

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 00:16
fragmotion is very similar to milkshape. it even has a built in U.V mapper.
TRUESPACE is a very good modeler. it is more of an animation program thou. i do all my modeling in thuespace 6.6. then do my game animations in either FRAGMOTION or MILKSHAPE.

what do you want to do with this program?

a good truespace forum is

http://www.united3dartists.com/

you can talk about any 3d modeler there. it's a good group of people there that are friendly and glad to help people out.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 12:43
i dont understand ??? if milkshape is so good why would you not just carry on using it ?

cheers henry

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 20:44
try Daz3D Hexagon, it's free currently and by some youtube videos it doesn't seem complicated

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "try Daz3D Hexagon,"

had a quick look on youtube and this seems quote good. it doesnt export to .x though. not sure if theres a plugin availalble to do this but it does export to 3ds and i should then be able to convert from that to .x

will try it when i get home. thanks
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 09:05
Quote: "it doesnt export to .x though"

could just export to (whatever MS3D supports) and import to MS3D, export to .x...

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks to both people who pointed out daz3d hexagon. I checked their site and found they are offering 3 of their premium software packages for free until the end of this month, including hexagon 2.5. Installing now

Thread posted here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=194458&b=3
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 15:35
Perhaps try doing something like this

Model/UV/Texture in Hexagon 2 -> Triangulate Model -> .obj -> Milkshape 3D -> Rig + Animate -> .x

The models I've done for my project have been done in a similar fashion, except the modelling was done in Silo 2's demo...now that the demo has almost run out, I'm switching back to my copy of Hexagon.

I did a very basic 3D modelling tutorial a while back, some of it was done in Hexagon, so it should give you a feel for getting started with it - it doesn't show you how to model anything in particular, but just familiarises you with useful tools in 3D modelling.

Linky

Also, once you've done that, you should be able to follow this other tutorial I wrote (that doesn't use Hexagon):
Linky

I hope this helps.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 05:56
http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/index.html

for MS3D right?

I got Hexagon... so I can use this for UVing right? might need help with that... looks like I got something for some useful stuff now

Hi Sepp

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 18:23
I have tried most of the avaiable 3D softwares, and I always get back to Milkshape for some reason. Maybe I dont give the other enough time...

But I see AC3D as a great tool to have side by side since its possible to do some things Milkshape cant, and vice versa

- A secret signature -
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 14:01
Quote: "Hi Sepp"

Was that a hint?

Hexagon uses points and seams to unwrap an object. I've not written a tutorial on it specific to Hexagon, but this video tutorial I made for a different program should explain where to place seams to unwrap (at least on a character), the same technique should work in Hexagon as it uses the same principle.

iirc Hexagon projects on X, Y or Z, so to get a decent unwrapping, I think you have to select the axis after unwrapping from the seams. It's been a loooong time since I've properly done anything in 3D, let alone unwrap anything in Hexagon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:25:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:25:57