Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / For TGC Team : Performance problem with Transparency on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Author
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 06:23
Hi,

I definitely have a problem with transparency on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with integrated NVidia Tegra 2 and Android 3.2. As soon as a sprite with transparency appears on screen, a slowdown takes immediately place. The same issue (with verrryyyy big slowdown) appears with particles sprites (obviously) .....

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is one of the best sellers in a lot of countries... It's certainly due to a nVidia Tegra 2 particularity ... (or maybe specific to the galaxy tab 10.1 with the famous Samsung pre-integrated Libs ? hum...)

Is a fix in progress for the next version of the AppGameKit player ?
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2012 20:18
up ?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 18:49
Unfortunately the Tegra 2 has a problem drawing lots of transparent pixels and the only way to work around the hardware limitation is to avoid transparent pixels wherever possible using SetSpriteTranspency(ID,0), or reducing the sprite's size on screen.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 21:26
You know if there is the same problem with tegra 3 ?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 00:05
Looking at this tegra 3 does appear to be more powerful, but I've not tested it.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 19:01 Edited at: 5th Mar 2012 19:03
Paul,

Firstly, thanks for your response

But i'm still surprised about the poor transparency's performance on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Tegra 2 with AGK. (and i see some other OpenGL games running fast with alpha transparency on this tablet).

But on other forums i've seen that it could be due to a recent ..hum "bug fix" on the android SDK which now defines a 32bits OpenGL texture by default instead of a 16 bits OpenGL texture on previous SDK versions).

It seems that the 32bits alpha textures slows down the FPS on galaxy tab (and also on some Motorola XOOM tablets and others) while it ran a lot faster before this android SDK "fix". Ok this is a partial problem of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which doesn't seem to be optimized for 32bits alpha rendering.

It may be useful to investigate this idea and if it's the case, maybe a function to define the color depth of textures/images in AppGameKit Tier 1/2 could be the solution. I can test and compile (and test it on my tablet) any modifications you could find useful to do if you want. But YOU are the expert, not me...

I have also seen that you've done a lot of fixes on transparency issues on android at the beginning and i hope that is not a "border effect" of these previous fixes.

As i said before, it's a very annoying problem due to strong presence of this tablet on the commercial market. You can imagine that is difficult to create a game without any (or few) transparent image...

Thanks
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2012 03:53
Paul, it's still very strange... I can run at 60FPS ONLY when i reduce the display to half of the screen. Even without any transparent pixel.

I have a "new" galaxy tab 8.9 and a galaxy tab 10.1 .. they have both tegra 2 and the resolution of 1280x800.

I can't believe that many commercial games in 3D can run smoothly on these two tablets (always in fullscreen) and AppGameKit can't (only with 15 sprites without alpha :p in fullscreen and FPS goes from 30 to 45 FPS ...). It's an nvidia dual core ! lol

Very strange and annoying.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:55:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:55:58