Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / new to dark gdk

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i just downloaded Dark GDK because im interested in learning some c++, but i have a slight problem i believe. i was looking over one of the tutorials it comes with, and it says if we run the program now, we just get a blank black screen. but if i run the program i get an error, and nothing pops up. why is this?

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/processed/phprZ6E7O_c2AM.jpg
"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Which tutorial, and what is the error?
scythe_reaver
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The "hello world". And I'm not sure what the error is. It just doesn't run, and at the bottom says 1 error.

"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 16:59 Edited at: 25th Feb 2012 17:01
Can you add the source code that you are compiling from, and also is this error in the game or is it during compilation? I am at this moment attempting to run this tutorial to try to reproduce your issue so I will let you know if I have the same problem.

Edit: I ran the code from every stage of the tutorial and had no issues? Perhaps you omitted a line or added something that you shouldn't have. Just add the source code to this thread and we will do our best to help!!
scythe_reaver
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem is before I add any code. The tutorial talks about compiling thebase code GDK starts with, and they show a black screen pop up. But I don't get a screen. It just pops up at the bottom saying 1 error.

"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Again, post a copy of the code that you are trying to run. It is likely an initialization problem or something but if I can't see the code I can't identify the problem
scythe_reaver
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline

heres the code im trying to get it to compile

"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm... and you got no compilation errors? That is quite odd. I don't see anything in that code that could cause a problem... you installed DarkGDK, August 2007 DirectX SDK, and Visual Studio 2008 Express? If you did all of that and you are still getting this problem I am going to have to leave this to someone who knows more about DGDK internals than I do. Sorry
JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
We need to know what the error is then.

Click the output tab window. There should be a drop-down box, select the "build" option and post that output to this thread so we can see what it says...

Given the code above, I'm guessing it either can't find the Gdk libs, or you have /mtd compiler switch instead of /mt... Just guessing at this point...

JTK
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I though his error was with the actual executable, like that it compiled but then the actual engine gave him this error. Ok, yeah we will need to know the specifics of the error from the output window at the bottom!!!
scythe_reaver
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline

here ya go, sorry for the delay.

"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
You have to point the compiler to your darkgdk directory. The darkgdk path should be something like

c:\program files\the game creators\dark gdk

and you want to add \include to the include path
and you want to add \lib to the libraries path

that is under tools : options : vc++ directories
scythe_reaver
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
ok... i went to tools : options : but i don't have a vc++ directories....

could anyone possibly post pictures of what i need to do? (i've just started working with dark GDK, and im not familiar with anything.)

"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
It is there. On the side there is a list of items. Environment is the first. The second one is the one you want, Projects and Solutions. Under this is a sub-item VC++ Directories. On this menu there is a drop-down that says Show directories for: and the default selection is executables. Select includes and add the include path, then select libraries and add the library path. I hope that helps!
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 03:26
When people search for posts on this forum they are only able to use the title to search for the post, So please include more information about your post in the title in the future. Thanks!

scythe_reaver
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 04:13 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2012 04:25
ok, thanks for the help guys .

*edit* ok, i found the path stuff you were talking about, what do i need to type in in order for it to follow the correct path?

@ DeadTomGC ok, thanks for the tip, i will keep this in mind from now on.

"I AM YOUR GOD OF DEATH"
NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 10:20 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2012 10:25
You have to add the correct directories to c++ so it knows where all of DarkGDK's file are located, so you can use it.

So that being said, you have to click the drop-downbox in the top right hand side of that window and select:

Include files
Now click the icon which looks like a folder -> this creates a new line for a directory path to be entered in.

As you can see below I've added the darkGDK 'include' directory and the Microsoft DirectX 2007 Augest SDK 'include' directory however your paths may be different:

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include

NOW you need to do the same for:
select Library files in the drop down box.

Click the new entry / line button. I have added two of them:

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\VS9
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Lib\x86

Again as you can see these are the DarkGDK library files, and the Microsoft DirectX 2007 Augest SDK library folders.

That should be it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:03:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:03:57