Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / X Flight [demo]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 16:52 Edited at: 21st Mar 2012 02:19
This was inspired by the best pc game ever made: Starflight by Binary Systems, EA. It's loosely based on the mechanics of the game, but has a completely different storyline and look-and-feel.

v1.0.4b
X Flight Demo Download

I have given credit to the authors/creators of some media. There may be some that I forgot or didn't know about. If there is some media such as sounds or music I don't have listed in the credis, PLEASE let me know so I can correct it.

I plan on submitting this to Steam, so I want everything to be legitimate.

Thanks in advance for trying out my game.

The fastest code is the code never written.
TriSpefear Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 16:06
this is sick... is all this in the demo?

"Everyone may doubt me, but your just giving me more of a reason to continue on..."
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 16:18
looks like a lot of thought has gone into this project. It looks great. The only other thing I can see that might help is scale up the ship's a little. Ofcorse that comes from a person with poor eye sight. Great work

Dennis_W

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
The demo is time restricted. At a certain time in the game, it will give you a message that the demo is over.

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 19:23
Looking good , as Dennis said the screen could be a bit more used.

A lot of black unused space while flying about and masses of green when on the planet. A bit closer with a Zoom out function could be good. The menu bars could also be expanded to use up more space.

Looks like it ccould be fantastic though

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
The open space is so you can see..... Sure I could put some useless graphics around the edge to make it look like the inside of your ship, but that would just be pointless. The zoom function is with the mouse "scroll" wheel. If you are using a laptop, it may be a problem, because the laptops I've used (using the pad) don't scroll-- don't know why....

The menu bar is the size it is because of the information on the edges. When using the minimum resolution for the game, the info just makes it inside the screen. Higher resolutions look like wasted space. I use 1920x1080.

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 03:29 Edited at: 29th Feb 2012 03:32
Sorry if I sounded a bit retorical it was unintended. I didt mean you needed more borders or hud. I meant you should be a bit more zoomed in on your ship. Um I dont know how to best explain what I'm trying to say.

Um I suppose its a bit like watching a film .. I dunno transformers for instance and during the fight scenes all you can see is desert except for about quarter of the screen where the fight is going on.

I guess its just hard for me to explain, you have so much *working space* but your only using a bit of it.

<edited>

as another example if you have ever played EVE online while you flying about your ship usually takes up at least quarter of the screen on its own and when you get into combat it zooms out a bit and only when theres a silly amount of ships in the area does it zoom out fully (unless you force it yourself with zoom controls)

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I've never played EVE Online. I took a look at some screenshots. The game style is full 3D. If I zoomed in on the ship, the player couldn't see all the stuff going on around *him*. If you haven't played it long, you wouldn't know that there are other ships flying about the galaxy. These ships are almost completely transparent unless you have a good navigator. If the view is zoomed in, you would have no chance of seeing distant ships even with the best navigator. I decided on that approach vice a "radar" type, to give the player a different "feel" of the game.

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 19:50
If tats an intendid feature of the game then it all good.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 14:42 Edited at: 1st Mar 2012 17:35
I played this and its pretty good. I think the maps need a bit more on it, maybe a bit more detail, especially on the earth-like planets, just so it feels more like I'm landing on these planets. I don't actually play these sorts of games, but I played through your demo and thought perhaps I should, the game elements are good and it looks like you've put plenty of thought into this project.

There was one bug I encountered. When I hit new game after cleverly crashing my ship into a planet and skipped the intro video the game kept saying my crew was dead and to start a new game, even though I had just started a new game. So I had to close the game and start it again.

Anyway, good work chap!

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll look into the crash/crew dead bug.

That's the kind of stuff I like to see. I'm all alone in this project and I need a fresh set of eyes to show me problems. I wish I had the ability to send the full version to people for beta testing. I just don't have any way of making sure that those people won't turn around and send it to everyone they know....

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
V1.0.1 is in the top post. Changes are as follows:
Quote: "v1.0.1
Added:
Comms O' Matic (artifact that can be bought at the beginning of the game)
Graphic for "Thrust Control" for landing/launching
Title screen with credits

Fixes:
First encounter sometimes has Calmarin ship being destroyed by drone. Fixed.
Plot-essential artifacts could be identified at any alien trade post causing plot errors. Fixed.
After ship crash, if engines are destroyed, launching causes constant ship destroyed/crew dead. Fixed.
Sound levels not initializing properly. Fixed.
Resolution changes did not save causing player to have to re-select resolution if different than current Windows desktop resolution. Fixed.

**Note: v1.0.0 save games can be used with v1.0.1"

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 19:59
Hey congratulations for the demo release!
I'll be glad to post it as an announcement in MPL3D web page, that way you'll get more downloads.
Also, if you want, I can host the file itself and give you a tracking about the amount of downloads.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be great. Steam turned it down, but I have submitted to BigFish and Matrix Games. Haven't heard back from them yet, but if everyone turns me down, I'll post the full version under a new post "X Flight [Full Game]". I mostly want to get my name "out there".

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 22:17 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2012 22:18
Great work, Hawkblood.

I gave this a spin and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Star Control II where you can land on planets to collect minerals.

Even Mrs. Fox enjoyed it.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2012 12:06
@Hawkblood, if you are interested in publishing into a store, the Intel AppUp store only requires that your software is free of bugs, and there is a full group here in the community offering support and additional web pages for your software, the TGC App Developers Group.

Also, you can promote your work around the web in places like this:

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69 (commercial indie games)

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=46 (free indie games)

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! Thanks for the info. I'm looking into it now.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Demo version 1.0.2 is in the top post. I had a lot of fixes, so if you had some issues while playing, hopefully I fixed them. Read the "ChangeLog.txt" to see the fixes/changes. If there is something you encountered that I haven't fixed, please let me know. I have played it all the way through twice and each time I have found issues and fixed the ones I can. There is one that I can't seem to replicate, so troubleshooting is not going well on that one-- I've addressed it in the log.

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good,what amaze me its the idea bacause i belive as soon as we get the planets and the earth on 3d and i mean every little rock there catch by a superultra laser, this is the way we gonna experience google earth,planet and space. no joke

Animals
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I added bloom to v1.0.2

It's, as always, in the first post.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 17:19
Hey well done, now it looks much better!

Sorry, but I got a full-screen ship at the shipyard, that hided the menu.

Other than that excellent! The atmosphere and the final touch is very much improved. Good job!

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea. I've fixed that. I'll have to post the update. Ok, it's ready to download.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 12:14
I'll try it out to check it

This looks ready to me!

If you talk with Steve Vink, you might be on time to appear in the April TGC Newsletter. I think he will like this

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I get in contact with him?

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 13:19
Oh, he is BatVink here at the forum. Send him an email.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks.

Since I've started using post bloom, I've been running into problems at different stages in the game. I correct them as I find them, but it's annoying.... The latest is when landing the ship, the background/sky doesn't show up. I think I'm going to have to disable bloom during this phase.

Also, I've been working on an in-game tutorial. It's very extensive. If there is anyone that can't figure out how to play after going through this, they don't need to play.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
v1.0.4b is available in the first post. I fixed some problems brought on by post bloom. I also added an in-game tutorial. It is supposed to pop up when you start a new game. If it doesn't, press [ESC] and go to the options menu and click the options tab. There you will find a check box for showing the tutorial.

I haven't fully tested the tutorial on some unsuspecting player yet, so I would like someone that hasn't played it to give it a shot. Seasoned players (if there are any) are welcome to critique it as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:16:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:16:43