Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D Studio max and glass texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2012 18:07
Hello everyone. I've accomplished making a gun in 3DMax and texturing it with a UV-Map, it shows up correct in DBPro. Now I'm making a little level to test my models, like windows, doors etc.
While adding a texture to the gun you need to make sure the file you use to texture it with, goes in the same map together with UV coordinates wich get saved automatically by 3D max.

But what if you use the material editor to make a see through glass by selecting some polygons on a wall, meaning, I don't use a texture file at all.
The wall is divided into segments and I've selected both sides(polygons) of the place I want a "window", opened the material Editor, made a very simple "texture" setting the colour to blue, and opacity to 10%, meaning there is no file, I can import the file to DBPro but it shows up in grey. It does however show as see-through in 3d studio max.
When I use a file as texture I can't get the opacity working. When changing it in even in 3dmax it does not show as see-through.
Can someone point me in the right directions?
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 00:34
Well, the material settings don't transfer over from 3DS Max to DBP. You will have to use a semi-transparent image saved as a .png (Because it retains the transparency) then apply this texture to the semi-transparent object, then use the command "Set object alpha" or something like that to set the object to where it's transparent according to the texture.

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 02:10 Edited at: 29th Feb 2012 04:28
You may also want to look into greyscale alpha maps as well. You can drop it into the opacity slot as a bitmap(in 3ds max), and can use it with shaders inside of DBP, or with photoshop you can paste a copy into the alpha channel.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 03:27
.tga works too...

Ramon156
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 16:48
Hmm the above works, I just need to find out how to make shaders for it to show reflections. Looking at the tutorials for shaders I think I still have a long way to go.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 23:27
There are plenty of reflectivity shaders out there, a pretty good comes with DBP. Experiment with it's settings and see if you can get what you need

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 16:18:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 16:18:26