Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / UTF-8 Encoding possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been out of the loop for a few years.
Has there been a way found to use foreign languages with special characters(such as Japanese) in your programs, aside from setting up sprites for each character?

I was planning to write a language learning program using DarkBASIC, but having to set up 3000+ Sprites for the font is a staggering thought. Being able to set up a program to use UTF-8 encoding would be ideal.
Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm very interesting indeed
I'm able to insert various symbols ☺♥♦♣♠♂♀ into dbpro but upon compiling they are all replaced with question marks. So it appears the built in text commands do NOT support UTF-8

I also tried Advanced2D, I'm not sure if it uses dbpro to set the initial text and then builds sprites off them, but either way it also shows question marks

This means you can't build your own program within dbpro to create sprites out of these characters. You're going to have to use sprites. So I guess you'll also need another language/compiler which supports UTF-8 to display and save the character set as images for you
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2012 20:49
This is a great question... And I'm also new at this so I wonder how DarkGDK and AppGameKit fare for this qeustion? Anyone know?

I think UTF-8 support becomes much more important in the global mobile marketplace myself!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 04:13
I too ponder this... but would it really require a rewrite?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 12:36:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 12:36:34