Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Features wanted - after doing survey

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
After doing the survey recently, I considered what features I really want for future AppGameKit updates. All of this is for someone working in Tier 1.

I'm currently working on a game that I expect to have finished by early summer, so I'm wondering what chance (if any) there is that these features will be in place around that time, so I can add them in before having to release.

Twitter Support

Making your app able to post to Twitter via iOS5's native Twitter support would be really useful. This would use the same mechanism that other iOS utilities use (such as the photo roll), taking the account data entered in the main iOS settings app.

Ideally, this would be a single function that takes a string and posts it - and returns some data signifying whether the tweet was successfully posted, or if it failed (maybe a few values for different failure types if this is supported in the iOS Twitter API).

MP3's and MIDI

At the moment, all sound has to be WAV (I think; feel free to correct me on this). This is OK for sound effects which are pretty small, but music files can be really large. I have a 1-minute loop of music and that's >20mb. It'd be great if we could use MP3, or perhaps even MIDI, as a low download size can make a big difference on the App Store.

Game Center Support

The ability to call a function to bring up the Game Center overlay (either the leaderboard page or the achievement page), and to "listen" for when the user dismisses it. For a successful game on the App Store, Game Center support can be a really big deal.

In-app purchase support

This is potentially a really thorny one, as I've not spent much time looking at how the AppStore handles IAPs "under the hood". Still, having the tier 1 ability to do this would make a big difference. Many successful iOS games rely on free/IAP mechanics now so I'm sure people would find this really useful.

I know of course that 3 of these 4 features run contraflow to what AppGameKit is meant to be about - the idea of developing on all platforms simultaneously - but I thought it was worth asking about them anyway.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds can be in MP3 format, but the current replay routine does not play seamlessly
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
more features...

SAVE IMAGES to PICTURE GALLERY

Remove the need for AgkSplash.PNG

Browser in a Box to play HTML5 game intros & animated sequences
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 23:33
Ogg Vorbis support would be good for audio. All HTML browsers should support it. It's open source, and better quality than MP3.

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
OGG Vorbis does not play using AppGameKit on iOS
KareDev
Years of Service
User Offline
"Sounds can be in MP3 format, but the current replay routine does not play seamlessly "

Are you sure about that? I've tried it and get an error on load, saying that the file isn't in the correct format.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using T2.

mp3s play on Windows, iOS, Android & Blackberry. Unfortunately there is a cut when the mp3 ends, so seamless playback is impossible.

Could it be that your file is encoded in a way that AppGameKit does not like? Try one of the mp3s that come with the AppGameKit examples

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:39:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:39:55