Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Blender: Texturing Mystery!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 15:38
Hello everyone,

I present to you a blender texturing mystery which I am certain has a simple solution to a trained expert.

I obtained a .LWO object of a car from this website for free: http://www.dmi-3d.net/rescue2.html

Now, I managed to import the model only to find it is textureless (see attached).

I have tried everything I know to get some kind of texture on it. The file came with textures but when I apply them to parts of the model (using materials panel) or smart UV unwrap and then reapply a PNG texture, it does not show.

ANY thoughts appreciated.

If anyone is willing to take a look at the file and perhaps get these textures onto the model I am willing to compensate, please let me know. I believe people should be rewarded for help.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 23:10
I would be glad to help you. I've been using Blender for 3 years now and I think I know what's wrong. Just send me a .zip file with the the model file and all the textures and I will see what I can do.

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 23:55
That would be amazing; Im pretty much a brand new comer to Blender but I have done lots of graphics stuff etc.

Can I pick this up in the morning? Do you have an e-mail? Thanks so much.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 01:22
If I can fix it, just send it to me via my email Travisgatlin53@yahoo.com
I'll do my best!

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 14:47
Good news and bad news; I managed to fix the issue but renders do not show textures, despite the fact I have ticked some kind of texture box (top left).

Im working from a notebook computer if that helps.

Attachments

New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 20:58 Edited at: 7th Mar 2012 11:23
Hi,
if I'm getting the right impression from the screenshots, you selected the mesh in editmode and used the uv/image-editor to apply the texture to it, right?

However, in order to make the texture *render* aswell, do the following:
In the MATERIALS tab in the panel on the right hand side (the tab with the golden sphere on it, you have it open in the second screenshot) press the "+ NEW" button (with the car mesh selected. Leave all the settings at default for now.

Then go into the TEXTURES tab (the checkerboard tab to the right of materials) and here, too, press "+NEW".
Some options will appear. Under "Type" (at default "clouds") select "Image or Movie", then go down to the part where it says "Image". You may have to expand the entry with the little triangle.
Then click the "Open" button and navigate to the texture image file you want to use.
As a last step go down to the "mapping" entry and set "Coordinates" to "UV" (instead of default "generated"). Try rendering now.

I hope that the whole car is one mesh only, though, because otherwise things would be a lot more work :/
I hope I understood the problem right and this was any help...

edit: ah, my bad, just took another look at the screenshot and saw that you had the road selected and not the car.. so the missing material might not be the problem after all.. if you still need help you can send the files to puzzleowl@googlemail.com and i'll take a look

edit2: okay, I just downloaded the .lwo and imported it into blender.. figured it out
so, it's basically the thing i wrote in my first post, but for several different materials.
I recommend that you start with the original model from scratch and you'll be done in 5 minutes:
-import the model.
-select the car mesh.
-go to the materials tab.
-click on the material "Body capot"
-go to the textures tab
-click "NEW"
-change the settings:
Quote: "
Type: Image or Movie
Image: Open > "UKCPT.jpg"
Mapping: Coordinates = UV
"

(see attached pic)

-do the same thing for certain the other materials:
Body G -> texture: "UKCT-G.jpg"
Body D -> texture: "UKCT-G.jpg"
Pneu Structure -> texture: "pneu.jpg"
etc etc
Each time you need to select the material in the Materials tab and then create a new texture in the Textures tab.

Attachments

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 21:18
Thank you so much!! This is exactly what I needed! Youve saved me a lot of frustration, cant thank you enough.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 21:18
Could you kindly send me the .blend project? Im using this a learning project of sorts?

Thanks a million!

New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
you got mail
good luck with the project and shout if you run into any other problems!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:53:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:53:10