Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Can Dark Shader and Dark Lights be used together?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am trying to make them work, but I get these errors:

They work seperately, but when I try to combine them, it fails.....

The fastest code is the code never written.
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like they have the same function defined twice, I am not of way to fix this besides editing the source code of one of them.
JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
You can try using the /FORCE:MULTIPLE linker option to see what comes from it. You have to add it manually to the command line option of the linker settings...

Keep in mind that forcing multiple only links the first one encountered! So, if DarkShader is referenced first, it's versions are linked first. Likewise for DarkLights. Therefore, if it doesn't work, try reversing their link-order (order of specification in the LIB settings).

If it still doesn't work, then I would say that they can't be used together...

Good Luck and let us know,

JTK
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried your suggestion. The errors went away, but when I run the program I get some kind of error (it's not specified). All possible combinations give me the same result. It just says "(program) has stopped working blah, blah, blah...." and it terminates.

Here is my goal:
I want bloom/HDR
I want shadows (static and dynamic)
I want them at the same time.

Does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't involve me buying more stuff that won't work together?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 03:23
Quote: "I want shadows (static and dynamic)
I want them at the same time."

Create one project where you use only dark lights. Use it to calculate lightmapping on your objects.

Create a different project where you just load that lightmapped objects and use dark shader to apply effects. You don't need dark lights to load lightmapped objects so there's no need to have both, dark lights and dark shader in one project

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
That't encouraging and disappointint at the same time.... I'll give it a try.

What about dynamic lights & shadows?

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Now I have another problem. I can't save the scene in dark lights. What's the proceedure?
I start out with the default house.
I place a light.
I press F5.
I type in the name.dbo.
That brings me to the "light map" screen.
I press Enter and get a windows error and exit.....

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 19:22
Quote: "What about dynamic lights & shadows?"

Dark lights is only for static lights. Dynamic lights and shadows can only be made with shaders.

Quote: "Ok. Now I have another problem. I can't save the scene in dark lights. What's the proceedure?"

Are you using the editor that comes with dark lights?
Few people have experinced problems with it.
It's probably the best if you compile it yourself or create your own editor

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using the one that came with DarkLights. I downloaded both the GDK and DBPro files. The editor is only in the DBPro file. I thought about making my own editor, but how do I save the files and how would I load them after? I looked at the DarkLights refernece file with all the commands and there is nothing for load/save (that I can tell). Am I looking in the wrong place?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 21:02
Quote: "how do I save the files and how would I load them after?"

dark lights automaticaly saves the lightmaps in the "lightmaps" folder (i think you can specify the folder name, but if you don't default name will be used).

Lightmapped objects you can save with SAVE OBJECT command. Loading is done with LOAD OBJECT command

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I'll have to make my own editor I suppose... I've done that kinda stuff before, but I didn't know that lightmapped objects would save the lightmap info. Thanks.

The only problem is that I want dynamic lights and shadows. I'll take what I can get, but if anyone knows how, please post.

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 21:40 Edited at: 10th Mar 2012 21:41
Quote: "The only problem is that I want dynamic lights and shadows."

As i said, that can be accomplished only with shaders.
If you want to have static shadows (made with dark lights) and dynamic lights and shadows with shaders you'll have to modify each shader you use to take the lightmaps into account.

But, if you want dynamic shadows with dark lights that just can't be done because the proccess of calculating shadows is to slow and thus can't be used during run time, thats what shaders are for. Check Evolved's web page, he has done a few different shadowing techniques

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I was able to make Evolved's "ShadowMapping.fx" to work (the exe that it came with didn't work). The only problem is that I can't seem to modify it to work with multiple lights. This should normally work, but I'm not sure it will. Would you (or someone) be willing to take a look at it and figure out what I'm doing wrong? I basically made another pass for the shader that uses another light source as input. I believe the problem is in the "DepthMap" section. I just don't know enough about shaders or the math involved to figure this out myself. I've tried several variations and this one is the best I have come up with.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
BB, what ever happened to "Landscape & Map Creator"? Is it available for download?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 23:35
Quote: "This should normally work, but I'm not sure it will. Would you (or someone) be willing to take a look at it and figure out what I'm doing wrong?"

I can take a look but can't promise anything. I suggest you to ask green gandalf or evolved (they are shader gurus)

Quote: "BB, what ever happened to "Landscape & Map Creator"? Is it available for download?"

My university life became to hard so I put it on hold 2 years ago.
Also, combining C++ plugins with dbpro became to difficult.
Also, figthing with all the dbpro bugs and limitations started to fry by brain cells. Few months ago i started to port everything to pure C++. I'm currently working on terrain rendering/creation part.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:57:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:57:15