Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Samurai Legends

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 11:38 Edited at: 11th Jul 2012 19:58
@DevilLiger, TheComet - Thanks a lot !

@Yodaman Jer - Yes all of it was done in DBPro, except for the assets of course.

@MMM - I used a particle system for the rain. The near and far blur of the depth of field post effect, adds a lot to the appearance of the rain effect.

Regarding the motion-blur, the texture I used is a streak instead of a drop. If the rain falls at a slight angle, the planes aren't angled accordingly, but fall sideways.
But I think it's not that bad.

Anyway...
Unfortunately my previous post will be the last DBPro related update.
Samurai Legends is moving to a new engine.

I hope this thread will inspire people, and show them that IT IS possible to create good looking games with Darkbasic Pro.

I want to thank you guys for your kind support. I think the TGC community is the nicest there is (seriously).
Of course, if you are interested, you can continue to follow Samurai Legends on IndieDB.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/samurai-legends

See you around guys !

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 15:59
Irradic, you've been an inspiration to us all and I wish you all the best for this project. Good luck and have fun!

TheComet

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2012 16:11
Quote: "Samurai Legends is moving to a new engine."

What engine are you moving to?

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@TheComet - Thank you Alex ! All the best to you !

@Dar13 - Samurai Legends is moving to Unity Pro.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 11:42
Quote: "Samurai Legends is moving to Unity Pro."

YES!! AWESOMENESS!! And you'll be able to use the new Mecanim animations systems to create some cool looking animations! I LOVE Unity

DBPro still is and will always be my first love, but unfortunately its lack of cross-platform support and limited lighting effects make it less flexible than most engines. It's a real shame, though, cause it's the easiest to use by a very, very, VERY long way.

Still confused as to how anyone would ever manage to find a spare $1500...

Clonkex

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 14:55 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 14:56
Quote: "Samurai Legends is moving to Unity Pro."

Now I'm really interested in how this game progresses. I'll be following along for sure. Seeing as I've missed the IndieGoGo, is there a way that I can donate to the game somehow?

Quote: "limited lighting effects"

You do realize that you can program shaders to create whatever lighting effects you want? They're just not pre-made for you like they are in Unity.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Clonkex - I'm quiet curious about the new Mecanim system. The last couple of days I was playing around with the locomotion system. Unfortunately the results weren't all that good. It's a cool gimmick that seems to be working alright on even ground, but once on uneven terrain the legs get jittery and motion does look very unnatural.
At the end I reverted back to just using the animations without the locomotion system on top of them.

Let's see what Mecanim will be able to do, the videos look great though.

I was really holding off on moving to Unity. I didn't want to port over unless I'm sure that I would be able to afford the Pro License. Unity free just wouldn't have cut it.

On the other hand I really love DBPro, and in combination with Evolved's advanced lighting shaders almost everything seems possible. But on the inside we all know that DBPro is starting to show its age.

@Dar13 - Thank you, I hope to see you on the IndieDB Samurai Legends website !
For now you can donate at
http://irradic.toxicon.ch/?page_id=63.
Thanks a lot Dar13 !

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 18:03 Edited at: 16th Jul 2012 18:04
Sad to see you leave DBP. Whilst I'm not one of your top commentators I have been following this project and can't wait to see it in action. On the other hand, your move makes perfect sense, particularly with what Unity3D could offer. I'm a DBP and Unity3D user, so I can't fault you for abandoning DBP, as awesome as DBP is. The really positive thing is, you've shown exactly what DBP is capable of and demonstrated that it can be really powerful in the right hands. Not necessarily as convenient as something like Unity3D, but definitely gives something for DBP users to aspire to and the inspiration to better their own projects. After all, Unity3D isn't the best tool for everybody.

Best of luck with your Unity3D endeavours. Hopefully I'll see this on the Unity3D forum in the future. But will follow your IndieDB progress anyway.

MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 08:06
Quote: "But I think it's not that bad."

It does look pretty cool.

Will you keep this thread updated with your Unity progress? I reckon many people here would find it very interesting to see how a project ports to Unity from DBP. There's been some similar talk on the FPSC board, so I figure it could happen here.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Seppuku Arts - Thanks a lot Seppuku Arts ! I really do hope that it will inspire one or two people. On Youtube the project was able to convey a couple of people from the misconception that DBPro is only good for "crap". Well if you load crap into CrySDK it won't turn into gold, it will turn into glorified crap with global illumination and screen space ambient occlusion.

Anyway...
I think it will be a while until I will post this on the Unity3D forums. Right now I'm taking my time in familiarizing myself with the engine.
I just acquired Playmaker which seems to be a nifty add-on.

DBPro is great and I will definitely continue to follow it.
I'm still hoping to see a DBPro successor at one time.
But since TGC is busy with its "new" baby AppGameKit, I won't hold my breath.

@MMM - Thanks ! I think the issue would've been only really obvious during strong winds. But this could have been fixed by rotating the planes according to the angle in which they fall.

Anyway, will I update this thread with Unity progress ?
Probably not. I don't think the mods would appreciate that.
Maybe the thread could be moved to Geek Culture, since I've seen people discussing their UDK and Unity projects over there.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 13:55 Edited at: 18th Jul 2012 13:58
Quote: "Well if you load crap into CrySDK it won't turn into gold, it will turn into glorified crap with global illumination and screen space ambient occlusion."

It's as they say, a poor worksman blames his tools. To be honest, in terms of 'quality', what I've been coming up with in Unity3D is no better, sure it handles things differently and I might have changed a few things on my project since the DBP version but using Unity3D hasn't suddenly made me awesome, it has just been more convenient for me.

Quote: "Right now I'm taking my time in familiarizing myself with the engine. "

Fairplay, it's not that bad transitioning from DBP to Unity3D, some new concepts you have to get used to, but at least the logic translates well.

If you're going the C# route I totally recommend the 3D Buzz tutorials, whilst they are geared to people who are new to game design, but they are actually well explained and well detailed tutorials and worth it in my opinion.

The two I used to get started were:
Advanced Character Controller (you need this first)
I'm only calling it 'advanced' because it's more complicated than the character controllers that come with Unity3D, but this is far superior, plus it teaches you many concepts you'll want to use in your own character controller.

3D Platformer
This one is trying to base itself a little on Tomb Raider without making it too complicated. But it's very practical in that it takes your through many features in the editor, applying them to your scene then jumping into C# and showing you more scripting concepts. It requires the above character controller.

The tutorials also use Maya, but I was able to skip those steps as I'm using Carrara in my workflow instead. In all honesty, I didn't even complete them, once I got so far I felt I understood and wanted to experiment for myself.

Also, if they're of any use to you in getting familiar with the program, I've written a few tutorials myself. They're just my solutions to problems, but hope they're useful to somebody.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 18:07 Edited at: 18th Jul 2012 18:08
It's as you say, Unity is more convenient but it still requires time and effort to get the best out of it.
That's true with every software out there. There are no magic buttons which create "awesomeness".

In my case, I do see some improvement in quality. But then I would be quiet disappointed if there wasn't, considering how much the Pro license had cost.

Thanks for the links !
The 3Dbuzz tutorials are a big help. I have actually downloaded them some time ago.
If it comes to Unity, there is definitely no lack of tutorials. Youtube is full of them.
You got some nice tutorials on your website, I'll make sure to check them out !

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 18:44
Quote: "In my case, I do see some improvement in quality. But then I would be quiet disappointed if there wasn't, considering how much the Pro license had cost."

Ah yes, there are some nicer looking shaders and you've got a nice selection in the pro version and there's more features out of the box but then between Unity3D Pro and Dark Basic Pro, you're looking at a massive price difference. I'm not using any shaders in my scenes and I lack the pro-license, but my media hasn't gotten better and my programming isn't automatically better, I'm not suddenly able to do new amazing things that I couldn't do before. That all takes work regardless of your preferred tools. Perhaps I should have stated that more carefully.

Unity does have its advantages regardless - for example, the new animation system coming out in Unity3D 4, whilst it might no improve my animation skills or give me good looking animations out of the box, but it'll offer more options to achieve decent results.

Quote: "hanks for the links !
The 3Dbuzz tutorials are a big help. I have actually downloaded them some time ago.
If it comes to Unity, there is definitely no lack of tutorials. Youtube is full of them.
You got some nice tutorials on your website, I'll make sure to check them out !"

No worries. And that's certainly true there is an abundance, I doubt it'll take you long to get to grips with the wealth of Unity related info out there.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ah yes, there are some nicer looking shaders and you've got a nice selection in the pro version and there's more features out of the box"

I must say though that I'm using custom shaders for the project.
The built-in surface shaders weren't that good, specially for skin.
Post effects are great though.

Quote: "but then between Unity3D Pro and Dark Basic Pro, you're looking at a massive price difference"

You are of course right, it's not fair to compare both engines, considering the price difference and so on.

Quote: "for example, the new animation system coming out in Unity3D 4, whilst it might no improve my animation skills or give me good looking animations out of the box, but it'll offer more options to achieve decent results"

I've seen the video but I haven't received any EMail regarding a 4.0 beta yet. So I didn't have the opportunity to try the new system.
What I've seen looks very similar to Motionbuilder, when it comes to functionality.
You'll be able to take animation/mocap files, trim them according to your needs, and re target them to any character.
So it's as you said, it won't give you good animations out of the box, but it will definitely safe you some time/work.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 23:38
Judging by the screenshots, there is an improvement in quality, it is obvious. Perhaps moving on to Unity pro was a step forward for the game. But I am sad to see you leaving DBpro, Irradic. I will be tracking the project of course. Good luck!

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Judging by the screenshots, there is an improvement in quality, it is obvious. Perhaps moving on to Unity pro was a step forward for the game. But I am sad to see you leaving DBpro, Irradic. I will be tracking the project of course. Good luck!
"

Thanks a lot Dimis ! Good luck to you as well, Dark Kumite is looking great !

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 12:29
@Dar13:

Yes, of course you can use shaders, but unfortunately DBPro's render-to-texture functions are slow, which really limits what you can do with shadows.

Clonkex

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:27:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:27:35