Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Creating Graphics for iPad and iPhone?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2012 23:10
If I create graphics for the screen size of the IPad will it scale down properly for smaller screens like the iphone, or do I have to create two different sets of graphics?
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 00:01 Edited at: 25th Mar 2012 00:02
Everything'll be scaled if the current screen size's different than, for instance, virtual screen resolution screen size.

So, if you set your virtual resolution to 480x800 and make a 480x800 graphics which would fill the screen entirely and run it on an ipad (which resolution is about 1280x800?) It'd all be scaled to fit the screen

My only advice is, when you want your game to run on iphone and ipad, use iphone's screen resolution, which will be scaled up on the ipad, yet looking very nicely.

Basically, when you scale down very much, it's looking bad, but scaling up much look pretty good yet.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 03:50
Quote: "My only advice is, when you want your game to run on iphone and ipad, use iphone's screen resolution, which will be scaled up on the ipad, yet looking very nicely."

In school, I did graphic design. For best results, always scale down instead of scaling up Scaling down leads to loss of detail (because there's only so much space available for detail), but scaling upwards leads to blurry, distorted images and graphics.

(What filters you use will change that obviously, but using a blurry filter when scaling up looks like crap).

Anyway, for the iPhone and iPad, use a resolution of 960x640. This will appear as full-screen on ALL iPhones and iPod Touches - and will look great on all of them - as well as work on all iPads as well.

I would not recommend at this moment of using a higher-resolution. I demo'd out a iPad 3 at a local Mac Reseller, and my two apps (one at 480x320 and the other at 960x640) both looked great on it.

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 05:22
Thanks!
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 07:08
There's more to it than the scaling effect, you have to consider the processing power of the target device.

In general a lower resolution device will have less processing power.

In order to get the best performance across the board, ideally you want the device with less power to have to do less work.

Design the graphics for the low end device, so it can use them in its native resolution. The higher end device will scale, but it has the extra processing power to do it.
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 10:40
Hmmm. I didn't even think about processing power.

So am I to understand that the lower end device would have to constantly use processing power to keep the graphics scaled, while at the same time play music, sound effects, etc.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 11:07
Quote: "There's more to it than the scaling effect, you have to consider the processing power of the target device.

In general a lower resolution device will have less processing power.

In order to get the best performance across the board, ideally you want the device with less power to have to do less work.

Design the graphics for the low end device, so it can use them in its native resolution. The higher end device will scale, but it has the extra processing power to do it. "

There is a certain truth to this, yes. However, the iPhone 3GS is on the way out this year with the iPhone 5 being announced sometime soon. This, with the fact that the iPhone 3GS does sport some decent graphics power, there should be no problem with the 960x640 resolution.

Now, if the OP is actively targeting the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, I would take resolution into consideration. However, since they are no longer being supported by Apple...well, it's the original poster's call.

(Hell, the iPhone 3G was able to handle a port of Resident Evil 4! I hope it can handle a basic 2D game

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2012 12:01 Edited at: 25th Mar 2012 12:02
Quote: "In school, I did graphic design. For best results, always scale down instead of scaling up Scaling down leads to loss of detail (because there's only so much space available for detail), but scaling upwards leads to blurry, distorted images and graphics."

True that, but when you scale down the screen from 1280x800 to 960x640 (landscape) it may yet look OK, though, when you scale down to 480x320 it'll look ugly in most cases. (Atleast in my case it did)

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
When developing for iOS, I prefer to use two different image sets for retina and non-retina displays. This way, the graphics can be optimized for both platforms and will use only as much memory as needed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 17:48:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 17:48:56