Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Carnage Game Show

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2012 00:05 Edited at: 25th Sep 2012 00:06
Is it wrong to giggle like a school girl when seeing them explode like that?

Saw a small bug with the flame thrower, you didn't shoot over the wall.

Would it be hard to use decals for your blood particles as soon as they hit the ground? That would give you "unlimited" amount of particles.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm... yes I would suggest an entirely different texture layer where you can dump any amount or kind of blood you want.

swis
Interstellar
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good - specially the ragdoll effects and CCD of the explosives.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
AWESOME!

One thing, where'd the trailer go? On steam greenlight it should be the first thing people see, but I don't see it on there at all. The one with the awesome announcer!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 23:13 Edited at: 25th Oct 2012 23:15
We had a few negative comments with regard to that trailer and didn't feel it represented the current effects and visuals. The problem is, it's got more gameplay and cool commentator stuff in it as you said, so it's a shame!

Anyway Steam is on the back burner for a little while as we're currently concentrating on a KickStarter project. Unfortunately finances have become an issue again so having to go down the grovelling route. We did some filming at the weekend and I've been editing our vid together ever since. Should hopefully be quite amusing when done.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 17:20
I was wondering what happened bud. I hadn't seen any updates in a while. Good luck with the KS, hopefully you can get some funding for this. I know I'll be throwing some cash your way, on the condition you add more blood and gibs!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 17:36
Thanks buddy. Yeah, if we manage to raise full funding then it'll be no more development in limbo, wondering if it can be finished. It'll a be full on, all guns blazing gore party!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2012 19:57
Good luck with the kick-starter, I will be backing that of course

When you say 'we', are you referring to TGC or do you have some helpers?

I don't want to live in a world where carnage is unfinished, more so since you had a very functional DBPro version not long back, it would be crazy to give up at this point imo

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 10:32
Hi Matty. Thanks for your support mate!

'We' refers to me, the artists who've helped and TGC (mostly Rick) for the most part. It feels better than saying me. The video I've made (which is finally finished) features a few of my friends who have been backing and following the game. Though they've not done anything on it except give me feedback and play test things, I feel like they're involved too. In truth, the video will probably come across as them being on the team, but I'm not worried about that. There'll be some good artists working on the final artwork and I have help from the TGC team, plus others like yourself for physics and Ron Erikson has helped me out too, so I don't feel like it'll be misleading on the ability/skills available.

The vid is pretty funny actually. Can't wait to get the project live so people can see it.

Dutrius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 13:34
Wow! this looks amazing so far.

I can't wait to see more!

There are 10 types of people, those who can do binary, and those who can't
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 01:41
Quote: "You have to aim ahead a little bit, so longer range kills require you to lead the target"

I prefer raycast, instant bullets. But why can't you offer different weapons that do both?

I just played the demo and I have to say I find the grim reaper very irritating.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 09:31
Thanks for your feedback Phaelax. I'm going to make a final decision on bullets once I sort out the client/server stuff which I'll be working on next if the project continues. Instant bullets would be much easier on the network, so I may go down that route if physical bullets cause too many problems.

As for the Reaper, he's going to be remade from scratch for final game, and there will be lots of other power-ups, so hopefully he'll feel more balanced. Plus you'll have the option to turn off each power up in your games if you don't like em.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 20:26 Edited at: 5th Dec 2012 20:29
Finally, an update ....

KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN LIVE

Carnage (now named Carnage Live!) has now been launched on Kickstarter. I'd love to continue developing it for free, but the simple fact is this isn't possible any more. I exhausted my stock piles of dried grain and tinned beans and basically am now completely skint! Also my other funding source has dried up so times are tight.

There is about a year of full time development left for the game to get the massive feature list complete. There's also a large requirement for AAA media which obviously doesn't come for free, so basically Carnage lives or dies by it's funding, and Kickstarter seems like the best bet to get it finished.

So if you like the game enough to part with a tenner (or more if you want one of the cooler pledge prizes on offer), then please head over to the Kickstarter page and show your love. All help from the community is massively appreciated and won't be forgotten!

Carnage Live! on Kickstarter

Also, I'm gonna take this opportunity to thank my friends who helped out with the video and have supported me with play testing, ideas and generally been behind the project all the way.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 12:58
If you support the game and would like to show your support via a slightly sexy looking banner of death, use the following code!

Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 14:15
I've been following this thread for ages and always thought it was an awesome project but that video puts it across really well and has sparked even more enthusiasm for me. I'm afraid £40 is all I've been able to pledge for now but I will up it if I can by the end. Good luck!

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 14:26
Thanks mate. £40 is loads! That's really generous. Yeah, I wanted to do a silly slightly crazy video to help convey my plan for how the game will feel. I hope it gets that across.

I have no idea how this campaign will work out. The game isn't known anywhere except on here and amongst a small handful of followers. How to publicise it is the real challenge without spamming other forums, so I'm open to ideas here. Currently I'm planning on a few more silly videos over the xmas period which, if we're lucky, may go semi-viral and raise it's exposure.

Thanks again!

Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 16:15
Well I'll do the obvious such as Tweeting and telling friends about it, but if I can think of anything else then I'll let you know. I've been planning to start one of these myself after another couple of months of development so hopefully this will set a good precedent! I just hope the fact it is over Christmas doesn't mean people are too short on cash to be able to pledge.

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 16:21
We were hoping it'd be the other way round. Ya know, kids with Christmas money and people off on holiday over Xmas spending lots of time on (potentially new) laptops while getting drunk and reckless with their credit cards! However, I think it'll just come down to exposure and whether the game is actually something a lot of people want to play.

Thanks for helping promote it. Getting it out there is definitely not one of my areas of expertise. I don't tend to spend a lot of time on other forums or social networking things. FB is all I use. I do have a twitter account, but wasn't interested enough in it to stick at it and therefore never got enough followers. Same with YT. Only 20 subscribers for Carnage. Here's hoping KS highlights it on their page at some point and that gets it rolling. Other than that, it'll be little bits here and there trying to get it promoted and constant KS updates.

Good luck with your campaign if you start one. If we're successful (or not) I'll be happy to detail anything I learnt from the experience.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2013 22:39
Just to let you know that I played the demo (the one linked to on Kickstarter) and I really enjoyed it. At first I was thinking it would be better if it used a third person perspective but I think the top down view works, it feels like a bloodier version of Geometry Wars.

I think my favourite weapons are the sawn off shot gun and grenade launcher.

I was also very impressed with the voice over work, just enough to set the mood but not so much that it got annoying.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2013 23:03 Edited at: 7th Jan 2013 23:04
Thanks mate. I have plans for a much more advanced commentary system for the final game. I'll be including a basic setting so you can turn it off, have a small amount of chatter, or have a lot of chatter. There will be much more statistic based commentary to make it more involving. So identifying and remarking on multikills, preferences for certain weapons, fighting in such a way, having bad luck etc. Definitely want to push it much further to improve the immersion of the game.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2013 08:24
Great to see that there is still so much progress here!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 19:30
Just an update on this. The KS was a massive failure. I think the problem what that we took it to KS too early without enough progress. Also perhaps the formula just isn't something people want to play. There have been quite a lot of top view 3rd person games recently so I think the niche it once had is gone and the competition with more developed games was too fierce. Either way the result is the project is going to be shelved indefinitely.

I've had to take up freelance work to pay the bills, and it's too much of an undertaking to work on in my spare time. Also the end goal required investment in lots of AAA media as well as some infrastructure costs which is something I couldn't fund myself. So the project is not feasible.

Thanks to everyone who supported the game in development. Special thanks to TGC and Rick, and also thanks to those who backed the Kickstarter.

The future of game dev for me is uncertain, but I have other project ideas. One in particular is more niche and unique and also far more feasible for a single developer trying to make a living from game dev. When I get time to get into game dev again I'm sure I'll be back posting WIP threads and the like.

Mods: Might as well unstickify this thread now.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 20:54
Sorry this never worked out, good luck with the next project.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 23:03
No man, this is terrible news. I hope that you can continue this project, sometime in the future. Really hope so.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2013 18:46 Edited at: 13th Feb 2013 19:00
This project is 100 times more valuable than any freelance 'pay the bills' job will ever amount to. Stopping the project just makes things worse, you will return; and will regret that you stopped, may as well continue; you'll never stop thinking about the game you want to make no matter how hard you try; it does not work. Nobody wants to be a freelancer if they had the choice.

I disagree with all of your last post. Take every sentance with the word 'think' in it; thoses sentances are false. You use the word 'think' because your subconcious does not aggree either.

You will always be a games developer at heart, it's your archetype; the swordsman doesn't put down his sword to pick up the spear, he will dispise the spear and return to the sword, the very one he put in the chest. But left there it will be rotten, should have taken care of it all along.

Which is better to own in 2014, the best game you could make on your own; or nothing? A game engine, or a portfolio of boring projects for boring people? Before you know it another year passes... Another year of freelancing? pfff.

Get this game bloody half done, and bloody play it and let people dribble while watching you enjoy yourself playing your game; then we'll see how many people will want a piece of the pie, as a colleague or player.

The fact that a couple thousand people didn't fund it via Kick Starter has no real meaning as far as what you are capable of creating. 7 billion odd people do not know your idea exists.

Loads of people impulse buy when they get SOLD something; it is not all about Kick Starter its about SELLING. You don't need Kick Starter and you don't need money; you just need motivation, a pair of hands and a PC. The selling part comes when it is near ready; and by then you will have loads of people already sold! What you can do, and what you will do is what counts. There is a lot of power and functionality I see their in your engine, underneath the surface I can see loads of games being made out of it.

Don't take your years of work and throw it away. Yes there are bills to pay, and yes it is too difficult to build certain assets on your own; but there is alot you can do today without help; why not focus on what you can do; leave what you can't do for later; the reason why you can't do it is sometimes due to lack of tecnique rather than money. I am sure you can figure this out.

Sometimes I personally accidently find solutions to what was once impossible for me alone. Things happen, in a number of months time the current issues may not be issues. Just the other day I found one of the biggest solutions to a problem that always bugged me, all by accident. Ideas come along, but only if you put Carnage first. And if you have other ideas I am sure this one can at least be used as a solid foundation.

Personally I dispise horror and violence and would've put more emphasis on a protagonist with some kind of dramatic issue for us to relate to rather than killing for fun; I just look at the top rated games lists and see heroes, the Gordons, the James bonds the Lara Crofts. But that's my narrow opinion...

Please don't allow me to catch up with you in the race; if I ever complete my game before you complete yours, all on my own starting well after you started, me with no real job or income, no team; think of the shame and regret looking at my game being finished 'on me onesy' but yours uncompleted due to lack of ... what ever it is you think it lacks.

World of Warcraft team can't texture their scenes very well! The competition have weaknesses. Yeah, its not the same genre but it's an example of the fact that everyone has weaknesses. I took the underground train the other day to east London and it took 1 hour; the slogan is 'you'll never beat the tube'. The next day I took the bus, the bus always takes the longest; but got me there in 25 minutes. The train's weakness is that it has limited destinations; take the route which exposes your competitions weaknesses.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2013 20:34
Hi Chris. I appreciate your words. Was one of your great ancestors William Wallace, or perhaps Henry V?

What you're saying is true, yet doesn't fit me. You obviously see me as someone hugely passionate about this game who has taken a kicking and now disheartened is giving up. That's quite far from the truth.

Game dev is not my only passion. It's one of many. Also Carnage isn't my life long game development ambition. It's one of many ideas. The reason why it came this far is because TGC (Rick) saw potential in it and we both made a business decision to see how far we could get with it. Now we've taken the decision that it's no longer worth the risk.

I simply can't develop this full time. I have bills to pay so what I do by day needs to pay them. I could develop it in the evenings and weekends at the expense of my other passions and the health of my eyeballs, but I have to way up the risks vs work. I've thought about it a lot and I don't feel it's viable.

You're right. I'd never give up game dev totally. I really enjoy it as an artistic outlet. I am passionate about it and would like to be successful at it and create a masterpiece, but I have a million ideas. Deciding to halt development on Carnage isn't wasted effort. As you said I've learnt so much and can and will apply all the techniques to future projects.

As for other people like yourself finishing games before me, it really makes no difference to me. Games are so wildly different I could never judge the potential success of Carnage against someone elses game. If you finish your game before I finish one and it makes you a millionaire and a game dev legend I'd say congratulations to you. I wouldn't sit here thinking that would've been me if I finished Carnage. I don't dwell on what-ifs.

I still get lost in the wonder of the games I could create. I have many ideas, one or two of which I think would be far more likely to succeed than Carnage. It wouldn't be a step back to work on them. It'd be a diversion towards and more promising end goal.

So I appreciate your comments and your attempt to motivate me. I reckon if I was a disheartened dev who needed a kick up the backside it would've been very effective. But what I am is a level headed person, trying to find the most enjoyable way to be as successful as possible at game development. I can put Carnage onto the shelf without any sort of regret or heavy heart and move onto plan ... a ..b ... c ... think I'm on plan f now while still pursuing my goal.

Cheers Dimis and Matty btw.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 16:49 Edited at: 14th Feb 2013 16:55
This is sad news, but I guess it's for the best. You can't win them all. It will be interesting to see what project you take on next. Perhaps it'll be one you won't need Kickstarter funding to get so far with, the problem with Kickstarter is it needs enough people to see your project.

There's a lot of Kickstarters out there, good ones and bad ones and it's a case of standing out in a sea of games. I think Chris is right in that people are more likely to impulse buy than impulse kickstarter. I am an impulse buyer and you can find some good gems out there.

On the brightside, you made damn good progress on it.

In terms of project ideas, I still remember the top secret one you proposed over a year ago. It would be interesting to see if it's still viable.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 17:25
Hi Brynster.

Yeah, KS will remain somewhat of a mystery to me. When we went there I felt like it was the answer, but now I see it as something different. You can't go there expecting it to save your project. It's a promotional and pre-order tool really. If you look at Malevolence for example, that was gonna be finished no matter what. The only people who can wade in with a project hanging in the balance are big name developers with a lot of rep. The rest of us need to be at alpha at least. Lesson learnt!

The idea you're talking about would be a great game, especially with you writing for it. But it'd be even more difficult to develop than Carnage. Masses of media would be it's Achilles heal. I know I'm capable of that sort of project, but I can't do it without an income. I've spent too much time eating grubs from the garden and clothing myself in newspaper to suffer that all again!

The project I'd like to return to one day is a space game. Space games are great because the world is empty by default. You can populate it with as much or as little as you need to. It's also a sandbox and based around really complex mechanics which create their own content, in a way. The way I'm attacking this now is with these priorities:

1. The best graphics I can manage, because unfortunately graphics will always be a prime requirement for most users
2. Complex game mechanics which once complete provide for huge gameplay variety with only a small number of components
3. Modular media. So in this example, ships constructed from a library of components, meaning I can develop a level editor and fill the world with many ships and installations for free once the core media is made.
4. Scalable game model. So I can release a basic version of the game early on, build a fan base and slowly expand it's potential. E.g. single player sandbox -> multiplayer sandbox -> single/multi player story mode -> MMO potentially

They're the core principles I'm going to work from in future. Develop the best visual engine I can, develop the best game mechanics I can, release the game early and develop with regard to user input.

Anyway, cheers for your words El Presidente. You have my vote next year.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 18:57 Edited at: 14th Feb 2013 18:58
You make some fair points. Always go with what's manageable, I've got a project idea I've been wanting to complete for years, but it'll be a lot of work that'll need to go into it, as a result I've put it on the sidelines until I actually finish something. :p

However, if Carnage's level editor works and you're capable of fighting in arenas you've created, i think it's at least worth releasing and I'm sure folks will have a lot of fun with it in its current state.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 21:54
Sad to hear this wasn't successfull. I thought you had a good Kickstarter page and the general lack of interest was puzzling. Success was never certain but I thought you would've got more backers than you did.

I agree with Sepp (may I call you Sepp? It's just a little easier than typing out Seppuku Arts) in that if you have a playable game and a level editor it might be worth releasing it. It may generate the interest and comunity you need for future successful projects. However, I can understand if you don't want to. As much as I'd like to agree with Chris, sometimes life gets in the way and sometimes other dreams and aspirations need their time in the sun.

Good luck and a fair wind on your next project.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 13:53 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 14:27
Ok that didn't work, one last try...

Quote: "As for other people like yourself finishing games before me, it really makes no difference to me. Games are so wildly different I could never judge the potential success of Carnage against someone elses game."

I said that to take a shot at preventing you from stopping,but it seems there is more to it.

Quote: "I still get lost in the wonder of the games I could create. I have many ideas, one or two of which I think would be far more likely to succeed than Carnage."

I know what you mean, but am not convinced that what it seems is so...

Are you more close to finishing Carnage than these other ideas? If there are lack of assets for Carnage now, what makes the situation different with these other ideas? What will you do if your next idea fails? Will you start again?

Why did you think up creating Carnage, is the reason no longer a good one? Did Carnage fail to entertain players or did Kick Starter fail to attract investors?

Did anyone actually play the game yet? Did they have the choice to play? Were enough people given the choice to see it, to find your game on Kick Starter; did they have much money to part? Do they really know how to invest?

If I remember correctly FPSC reloaded just about got through on the side... I think because of the low population of those in the community multiplied by their budgets.

Who is the real Carnage player, is he/she on Kick Starter? Do they have 5 minutes in a week for sites like Kick Starter? "Ooo what shall I kick start this week". Are they developers at TGC or are they hardcore gamers browsing game portals for strategies and walkthroughs who couldn't give a damn how you made it? I know guys who only visit 4 places; the bathroom, kitchen, the pub and Call of Duty; Internet Explorer / Firefox always needs updating because the icons really get clicked, only to download a COD update, these guys won't find you like that; they probably think Kick Starter is a welfare agency. The world is huge, KS is just a small part of it and these kinds of players need time to find your needle in the haystack.

Who are people to judge, with what education do they judge with? Yeah it's a different medium, but a lot of XFactor judges put through artists who become failures, countless times, year after year. Why, because they look like they can make it?

The ones who succeed are the ones who got misjudged and pursue their goals on their own.

Quote: "I simply can't develop this full time. I have bills to pay so what I do by day needs to pay them."

Understandable; don't want you to end up on the street. Sometimes, just sometimes, focusing on such things can consume your life.

I am virtually unemployed by choice because I personally think that an hour working on a game is worth more than 10 hours all day trying to pursuade clients to help themselves by shutting up and listening to advice... There is less compitition for 3D game developers than there are for graphic designers.

As little as 20,000 people handing me over a fiver for many hours of fun, all for the one or two years of effort building the game gives me £100,000 and lots of priceless experience. 20,000 copies would be a failure somewhat, but I would have earned 4 times the amount I would have done focusing on the bills. If I only make £1000 for my all effort, I still have my health, and will have one of the most distinctive near AAA game engines on earth and thousands of website visitors to play with; a new game all with a couple of configuration file tweaks and a change of a couple of shaders and storyline; then will new ideas be easy to implement. But without the continuation, the outlook is completely different, you end up re-programming more buttons and collision checks, pushing more vertices working on low level stuff in hope of another idea to work.

I know how long gamedev takes, but focusing on ways to cut down the number of steps and hours needed may be worth a little more consideration, just a little more now. Any surplus from work could be used to buy back time lost through content purchase and outsourcing. With but £50 you can buy quite a lot of 3D models nowadays; I can testify. There's freelancers all over the world desperate to make some textures for you right now, they are queuing up on Elance and Freelancer for a chance to work on something as interesting as a game; although outsourcing requires skill and practice.

Perhaps cutting down some features here and there; sometimes features are given more attention than what they are worth. Focusing on building 2 levels, a few weapons and multiplayer; like what Counter Strike did, get a small number of people playing then go from there, use them as valuable sources of feedback. You could open source part of it, get others to make games under your domain of control; who wants to rebuild all of what you did from scratch? Whilst you focus on your day to day work; people could log in and play around a bit, you may be able to even supply MOD tools, maybe an API if you felt like taking the MOD route.

Once you cover the rent, the primary focus should be the precise next step in profitability; which is sitting on your computer. It is there, it was on Lee Bamber's computer; if he stopped half way to start other ideas, would any of us be here on this forum?

Starting a new project means another 1 - 2 years before anything fun. I am sure even with just 8-12 hours per week, something playable would come out of Carnage in 6 months.

If I were you and were sick of the sight of Carnage and wanted a fresh idea, I would use the engine under Carnage for it. It is all about the engine; you can just change the body work.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 19:51
Hi Chris.

As before, all your points are valid and well made. Let me answer one key question you asked ...

Quote: "Are you more close to finishing Carnage than these other ideas?"

Yes, but only just. Carnage really is a mammoth undertaking. I don't think it could succeed half baked. I think it needs the massive amount of weapons, boobies traps, animations etc. all tied up in a level editor for it to be successful. For me to be satisfied it was doing what it said on the tin, it needs a lot of work. The other idea I have could potentially require less.

You're right the KS audience isn't the best judge of the game. I have had quite a lot of people play the old version and enjoy it. The new version would be even better. It didn't blow anyone's socks off though. It was fun, enjoyable, but not something they'd pick up and play more than a couple of times. Feedback has been mixed throughout it's development.

In contrast as soon as I put my other idea out to people they got excited about it. It also builds on an Android game I made which got similar feedback from a niche. It's a concept that I am confident is the correct one. It's a perfect balance between ease of development, uniqueness, and appealing to a niche that will lap it up. Carnage is none of those things.

Yes, I do believe Carnage could be successful. I wouldn't have taken it this far if I didn't. Certain aspects to it still fill me with excitement and I want to see them realised, but I really do believe it'd never take off unless it was all out, great graphics, full on content and packed a big punch. It's that sort of formula, and all that stuff costs money and takes time. I'm not even sure Dark GDK could live up to the stresses of what I think needs to be achieved.

So I'm confident I'm making the right choice. Carnage isn't being thrown away because developing it I have shaders and AI code I will reuse, a level editor which has a lot of cool features and techniques I can call upon, and other things.

Unfortunately I can't release it because there is no game there at all. It never quite reached the stage of having enough elements to be playable, unlike the previous demo version which is free to download and linked in this thread.

Anyway, I hope to return in a while with where I'm heading next. I'd like to think that when I finally reveal it, the change will make sense to everybody. It really is a cracking idea, imo!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 20:55 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 21:15
I hope the new game turns out well anyway; as long as you are doing what you enjoy that is the main thing.

Quote: "
Yes, but only just. Carnage really is a mammoth undertaking. I don't think it could succeed half baked. I think it needs the massive amount of weapons, boobies traps, animations etc. all tied up in a level editor for it to be successful. For me to be satisfied it was doing what it said on the tin, it needs a lot of work."

Well I guess it is just me who feels that action games with loads of weapons suck; (Except for Worms Reunited; OK that's not even an action game). They are unrefined, undedicated.

Just my experience with action games with loads and loads of weapon choices and game modes to try to persuade me to play, tend to be a quick laugh than anything serious. I am just personally quite happy with a few ...

I would sit still behind a simple little wooden crate for 15 minutes simply to last the round, what counts to me is lasting the round, winning. I never buy a game for its quantity of weapons or fancy graphics, having less makes it more competitive when there are few things to master, brings out the need to play strategically, allows you to master the item and promotes true test of skill.

All of my games are AAA and at the sametime have below average graphics, so we may differ on opinion. No doubt, if you really do often play action games with loads of weapons and nice graphics then you'd totally disagree.

Quote: "The other idea I have could potentially require less."

If the new game could potentially require less work as you say, and would offer more potential then that will indeed be the better project, and I am sure it will turn out well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:09:40
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:09:40