Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Need help with Collatz Conjecture Loop

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My friend and I are writing a simple program that lets the user enter a number and the program runs a collatz conjecture on that number and shows each step. For whatever reason, it continues to crash/not run. We don't know if it's the schools crap computers or if there is a problem with our loop/functions. Any input is nice.

DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 09:04 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 09:13
Hmm, well I would usually put "void" in the argument for endprogram when I am defining and declaring it.

What?! Oh, well that might mean something. atoi takes a str but dbInput is VOID!

OK, so you should have something like this:

Note that dbInput passes int num by reference, so it will be altered by the function.

Have a look at the documentation on your computer if you haven't already. (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Documentation).

ChristMatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
Hmm, well I would usually put "void" in the argument for endprogram when I am defining and declaring it.

What?! Oh, well that might mean something. atoi takes a str but dbInput is VOID!

OK, so you should have something like this:+ Code Snippet
int num;
dbPrint("This program takes an imputted number from the user");
dbPrint("and tests it using Collatz Conjecture.");
dbPrint("");
dbPrint("");
dbInput("Please enter a number.",num);
dbPrint("");
dbPrint("Press any key to initialize test.");
dbWaitKey();

Note that dbInput passes int num by reference, so it will be altered by the function.

Have a look at the documentation on your computer if you haven't already. (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Documentation).

"

We tried this but are getting errors now from the dbInput because it doesn't take 2 arguements.
matt yankello
Years of Service
User Offline

OK, so you should have something like this:+ Code Snippet

"

Hi I am Christmatt's friend that he is talking about. I do not believe that this is the problem, for I tried running the program with the loop and it worked, well it gave the first number. This leads me to believe that the problem is how I set up the loop.
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 01:47 Edited at: 4th Apr 2012 01:55
well, you could always fix num to see if you're loop works.
Then you'll know where the problem is.

The documentation says that dbInput takes 2 arguments. I've never used it though.
Quote: "Syntax
void dbInput ( char* szStatement, int iInput )
"

BTW, did you mean "without" here?
Quote: "for I tried running the program with the loop and it worked,"

One more thing. In general I don't use commands like atoi because I have had bad experiences with them. built in converters are usually built to crash the program if they receive an invalid input. Instead I make my own converter. I could explain how to do this, but it would kind of be a waste of my time if you don't care.

This isn't an issue though for your code since dbInput handles it.

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 02:08 Edited at: 4th Apr 2012 02:22
The problem is in the function itself. Try this, it works for me.

Cheers.
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 02:17 Edited at: 4th Apr 2012 02:23
Quick question, why are you guys even using the Dark GDK?

Ok, so the guy above this post has code that works.

There is a disconnect between the documentation and the actual Dark GDK apparently when it comes to the dbInput command.

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 02:32 Edited at: 4th Apr 2012 02:34
There is a disconnect between the documentation and the actual Dark GDK apparently when it comes to the dbInput command.
"

So what's new? That's why I use IntelliSense.
ChristMatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quick question, why are you guys even using the Dark GDK?"

We're taking a class that's being taught from the Gaddis book. We got bored, so we tried writing this program. When we hit a wall our teacher couldn't answer any of our questions, and so we came here instead. The end.
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 03:11
Well, for the most part the documentation has been accurate as far as I've used it. So, I just learned about that command so its new for me.

matt yankello
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi thanks for all the input but we actually fixed it by simply changing it to a do-while loop. I am not fully sure why this worked but it did. The reason why we are using darkgdk is because we are actually in high school and we took a c++ class only to learn that the school bought book for gaming and design IN c++ so darkgdk is all we know. And yes I did mean without. Not with
matt yankello
Years of Service
User Offline
Wicked X thank you very much for your working code as well

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:32:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:32:38