Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / A question to the Dark GDK Creators

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

A lot of update and improvements have been included in Dark Basic Pro during last few years - new command / functions added involving cloth and particle physics, rotation, terrain generation etc.

Does the recent state of Dark GDK incorporates all those enhancements too ? Or is it lagging behind Dark Basic Pro in terms of feature / function set ?

Also what is the current state of the Dark GDK add-ons ? Do they have one to one correspondence with Dark Basic Pro plugins feature wise ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 21:23
GDK is lagging behind by several patches. It also has a much smaller user base and as I've found out recently, this means undiscovered bugs.

My personal feeling is, for most games you should stick with DBP. For more complex games, go for GDK, but expect a few minor problems and limitations and obviously much more complexity coding the game. It's all down to the individual as to whether the positives outweigh the negatives.

I will always use DBP for prototyping and quick apps. It's so much better for that, but I would never make Carnage in it. A procedural language without complex data types and the lack of easy incorporation with industry standard C++ libraries imposes a few too many limitations for advanced games.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
DGDK was a great concept. unfortunately it was never kept up to date with DBP. What a pity.

You will always come across one problem or another, and get fed up.

That's what happened to me. Now I bought AGK.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@bjadams: Does AppGameKit support 3D game development ? I guess not. It is only a 2D engine ...
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 22:49
Quote: " Does AppGameKit support 3D game development ?"

no

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
There is always PureGDK. My understanding is that it's kept up-to-date with DBP....? I just don't want to buy something that new because there are usually bugs-- I want to write games not discover a new bug that was missed during development.

The fastest code is the code never written.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 00:07
Well, Dark GDK does lag behind in quite a few areas which is a shame, but giving you have C++ that is about the only bonus.

What I've done recently is gone a tad further. Using the plugin route, I can do all I need in C++ but use everything from DBP. (A Sheldon Cooper moment - Bazinga!) Makes it a little harder to debug mind you but you can test code using GDK then throw it into the plugin code.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
BBT! I love that show.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
The cool thing with DarkGDK is that you can use almost any C++ libary.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark GDK comes with inbuilt occlusion culling ?
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 21:00
Quote: "Dark GDK comes with inbuilt occlusion culling ? "

no

Mister Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 18:58
IMO, DarkGDK is more for the coder who seeks to make a game based on their coding abilities, whereas DBP is for those who aren't necessarily concerned about the technical specifics of how the engine works. And you know what? I think it's better that way: It appeals to a broader spectrum of users.

Tunnel vision yet? Have a carrot!
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 19:23
Quote: "IMO, DarkGDK is more for the coder who seeks to make a game based on their coding abilities, whereas DBP is for those who aren't necessarily concerned about the technical specifics of how the engine works. And you know what? I think it's better that way: It appeals to a broader spectrum of users."

I just wish DarkGDK was as stable as DBPro(yes I'm being serious), especially in regards to plugins.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:41:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:41:47