Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / ever made a dizzy type game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 05:33 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 05:37
Has anyone attempted a dizzy type game using Dark Basic?

I think it should be fairly simple, no scrolling or shooting - and it doesn't need to run at breakneck speed.

I might make it my next project and wondered if anybody had got a start on something similar.

My initial thoughts for development are:
* Obviously some kind of map editor is needed for the screens. It only needs to be big enough for one screen at a time - a world array would then be needed to order the screens.
* A simple flagging system would be needed to track progress of the player and what actions have and have not been completed.
* A simple inventory system would need to be developed.
* Basic game-world physics would need to be developed for jumping, walking on platforms (and clouds), dealing with water and any other surface I may incorporate.

Anything blatant I'm missing? All but the last one are similar to text adventure creation and I used to do that when I was 13. Are there any sites out there that could help me do away with creating sprite art and just get started with the coding and map making?

Thanks!

PS - For those who may post source code, I only have the original DB

===
"Life would be so simple if only we had the source code!" - someone else
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I never played any Dizzy games. Sounds like a platform game. There are some platform game engines around which include jumping, and gravity, and platform collision. We are back to Array/Data collision again, but single screen collision could also be done easily with screen zones too. Screen zones are usually used for buttons, but could just as easily be used for rectangular platforms too.

Pincho.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 16:09
what are dizzy games? Are they something like jetpack?

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2003 12:42
Ahh Dizzy games, they were great.

Dizzy games were created by the Oliver Twins in the Low 90's for Amstrad, Spectrum and C64. Although some where later ported over to Megadrive, Amiga and Atarti St

Some games where:

1. Dizzy
2. Treasure Island Dizzy
3. Fantasy Land Dizzy
4. Magic Island Dizzy

etc

Anyway, to create a dizzy game, i would suggest in using tiles map from a file.

An simple example would be:

If you have a file called level1.txt

Level1.txt consists of:

Where as:
0 - Background Bitmap
1 - Sprite1
2 - Sprite2

Alt you could code a 2d map editor which uses this method.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 16:09
The fundamentals of the levels should be quite easy, the only difficulty you'll get is the forward planning of the puzzles.

For example, you might need the match stick to start a fire, where the fire melts the wax prison cell releasing the princess. But, if the match is behind a locked door, and the key isn't available, then of course you've got a problem.

Best of luck though, should be interesting.

~ J ~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 12:23:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 12:23:11