Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I wish the whole Dark Basic Pro was a dll and had OOP and data structure as in C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

If the add-ons for dark basic pro are available as dll and they run real super fast in terms of execution speed - as fast as any code written in C++ , then why did not they released the whole language as a dll - specially the core 3D commands, arithmetic functions etc ?

Also they could also have added OOP facility and data structure facilities as in C++.

Thanks,
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 16:19
I'm pretty sure the language is just a bunch of DLLs that have the execution speed of C++. And secondly, the whole point of DBP is it's supposed to be easily accessible for newbies. OOP and complex data structures are not really novice concepts. When I use DBP, I don't want to have to define classes and the like. I just want to add a load of lines in procedural order. GDK offers the power of OOP.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fallout: .........hmmm....... actually I was wishing that a simple command set to create complex data structures were available - so that it does not stress our brain by giving an abstraction layer.

Creating a complex data structure in C++ is not an easy task either - so I wish for example - there was a set of commands to create and manipulate tress without having to implement the tree structure myself.

Also the OOP facilities could have been optional feature for large projects. In C++ we can also code the procedural way without using classes.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 20:12
There are a multitude of free libraries that implement trees for you. You just have to find them and learn how to use them.

Plus, the standard libraries implement quite a few data structures for you and are built-in(vectors, queues, maps, etc.).

Boost(found here) implements some complex data structures(heap and bidirectional map come to mind) for you, and is a spectacular set of libraries overall.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dar13: Thank you for pointing these things out. I needed those ...
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 21:10
Quote: "I'm pretty sure the language is just a bunch of DLLs that have the execution speed of C++"

it is

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 21:17
Well, it's a bunch of static 'libs' anyway which helps reduce the size of the final 'exe' file.

To turn GDK into some kind of OOP system is just to use the FIND_FREE() for objects, image, etc and store the ID's in your own classes. As Dar13 has mentioned, the built in STL libraries are very useful for OO programming. I myself use both <vector> and <list>...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 03:25
Quote: "Well, it's a bunch of static 'libs' anyway which helps reduce the size of the final 'exe' file."

Actually, it's a bunch of dynamic libraries (DLLs) that along with a block of machine code are appended to a standard DBPro executable stub which extracts all the DLLs to a temporary folder at runtime, loads them dynamically and then jumps into the machine code block.

[b]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:12:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:12:26