Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Multiplayer

Author
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 10:06
a few days ago i started building a 3rd person shooter game, now i have most parts set but i need the multiplayer.

i have no knowledge about multiplayer what so ever
can someone help me out here? kinda lost

what library should i work with , tutorials etc

ty for your time , nadav.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Take a look at Multisync or DarkNet (also known as Mike Net). For a FPS or TPS you would want to use UDP, so DarkNet is the way to go for that because Multisync can only do TCP.

UDP (user datagram protocol)
TCP (transmission control protocol)

Google them for a better understanding of what they do. If your network is small and your packets are tiny, you could get away with using TCP, but for the most part, shooting a target is better done with UDP.

The fastest code is the code never written.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2012 08:34
i see thank you.

i noticed DarkNet needs to be bought im searching for a free lib
cause i got a payment issue i cannot buy online..

so i'm looking for a free one , ive checked RakNet but its valid only for 30 days..
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Haliop

For RakNet, When you're on their site if you go to Download/Buy->Hobbyist you can apply for a indie license. What that gives you is free use of the lib and you can even sell your game but once you get to a certain amount of revenue then you have to buy a commercial license.. I think it's not until ~$100,000 though. But you input your info and then they send you a download link in an email.

As far as working with RakNet I don't have much help to offer.. Sorry. I haven't started workin on any multiplayer aspects yet.
In fact if you get a working sample of using it with DarkGDK I'd appreciate it if you posted it

Hope that helps you some.

McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
Multisync is your best bet at this stage.

It'll get you up and running and it's free and easy to use.

It's not my fault!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 08:27
k i'm on it , thank you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:36:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:36:02