Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Frontbuffer pointer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 17:05
I've tried this:

But it don't work.

I'm trying to get the *pBits and other surface info from the final rendered screen after a sync if anyone can help.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure if "Various methods for capturing the screen" helps you, but as the name suggests, it gives various examples of grabbing the current screen image.

Regards,
JTK
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2012 20:50
Thanks JTK for reminding me about that page. I had been reading that previously also.

Now I'm confused on how to copy a Direct3DSurface pBits over to a HBITMAP. Something to do with using HDC's, but I've never had to use them so far. Everything is compiling though, so it's just research and experimenting til I get it right...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 04:17 Edited at: 12th Apr 2012 05:14
I've tried and tried with no luck. The screen grab just ain't doing anything.

Anybody any ideas?

It creates just blank images...

EDIT: Just updated using BITMAPINFO instead of BITMAPINFOHEADER but still not working...

EDIT2: I have even just added this instead of BitBlt in case BitBlt wasn't working... (Everything runs but still saves blank images.)

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 16:53
I have done this but can't find the code, I will take another look.

Just to be sure I have got this right, you are looking for a way to grab the whole screen contents, including things outside your app window?

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 20:06
Thanks Matty for having a look.

At the moment I'm just trying to grab the contents of the Window if in windowed mode or the full screen contents if in that mode. I'm just working in windowed mode at the moment.

The idea is to copy the final render into a HBITMAP structure as quickly as possible so I'll be benchmarking (if I get it working right) the difference between a BitBlt operation and what I've used up there in assembler. I'm also hoping that I can get it to do at least some of it on multi-threading too.

The video rendering code all works when a HBITMAP is properly setup but my problem is that I've never had the need to use DC's etc.

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 22:15
Are you using dbSetDisplayMode function anywhere in your code?
I have a code for frontbuffer grabbing and it doesn't work if i use that command.
If you're not using it tell me and i'll post my code

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 00:05 Edited at: 13th Apr 2012 00:06
So far it's not because it's just running off the basic window 640 x 480.

EDIT: not sure that using dbSetDisplayMode() would harm anything...

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 00:38
Some declarations

Creating surface and render target

Grab Backbuffer

Save the data from backbuffer to color array

Save the data from color array to HBITMAP

This is how I grab the d3d device

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 00:45
@Brendy Boy - Thank you so much. I'll see what I can come up with now. Fingers crossed I'll find out what mistakes I've actually made and it will help me understand DC's a bit more.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 05:11 Edited at: 13th Apr 2012 05:29
Hey guys... After mucho messing about with this I researched all the DC and HBITMAPS a bit more and then tried out a completely different method which didn't use DirectX.

It worked and it's very reasonably fast. Yerse!!!

EDIT: The only thing I need to do now is to set it so it just grabs the inside area of the window. More research...

Here's the snippet:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:30:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:30:47