Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBPro First Comments

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2002 20:07
The packaging is very professional and I particularly liked the ring-bound reference manual.

The new GUI is absolutely fantastic for anyone who hasn't seen it before. Helpful hints, well integrated help program, Office XP style right hand info / settings window etc.

The applications run at a very good speed (About 5-10x faster with 3D and the difference between DB 2D and DBPro 2D is just amazing)

The included media and demos aren't amazing but do what they are supposed to do very well - Show you how to use DBPro.

Huge congratulations for the team for doing such a great job. To think that it has come all the way from DB v.1 which had a clumsy GUI, lousy speed and far fewer features.

Just one question - How much did it cost you guys to include SafeDisc 2 ?!?! - Surely a license for that would be very expensive for a small team such as yourselves. I never thought that DB had a piracy problem.
crawlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2002 20:12
I expect the publishers made them include the piracy prevention. We, i'm afraid to say, live in a world were no one realises the work that goes into products so they think its not a big deal.

P4 1.6GHz - 256Mb DDR RAM - GeForce 2 MX400 - SoundMAX Integrated Sound - Windows XP Home
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 00:02
Quote:

"I expect the publishers made them include the piracy prevention"

I am sorry to say that it will make little or no difference.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 02:06
???
What is safe disk 2?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 02:09
Its a copy protection system - I think it scans unused/corrupted sectors of the disk to make sure its a legitimate copy. SD2 is supposed to support more CD/DVD drives that SD1 (which has problems with DVD drives), as far as I know.

Has anyone else found errors in the main manual (and I presume by association, in the on-line system as well) ?

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 04:55
I am betting FastTrak put Safedisk in-- publishing companies do that a lot (they did it to Morrowind!). It's pointless, really... cracks are released from day one. I'm afraid some people see it worthwhile to pirate the smallest of software-- I know people who's DB programs have been pirated. That's really sad because it loses them just about every sale .

--Mouse
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 10:59
On my system, DBPro seems to require the CD occassionally which is irritating so I have disabled SD2.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 11:01
The trouble is, pirating software is very profitable.

Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 14:04
The patcher will also check for tampering so if your DBpro has been modified it probably won't patch in the duture.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
flanque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 17:05
Quote: "On my system, DBPro seems to require the CD occassionally which is irritating so I have disabled SD2.
"

Quote: "I am sorry to say that it will make little or no difference."

I absolutely agree with these two comments.. Whilst it is totally understandable that the publishers want to prevent piracy, these techniques have proven work arounds that render their effectiveness to naught.

I wrote a very basic compiler for a University assignment and it was difficult enough to do with the very basic functions it had. Suffice it to say, I've had experience with the efforts that goes into compilers, and can appreciate the hard work that DB and DBP would have been to develop.

That being so, I'm still going to wait until DBP gets a bit cheaper or comes in a combo pack before I shell out for it.

:: Specs: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2MX SH 64MB, SB-Live!, LG Studioworks 775N 17", MS Natural Pro KB, MS Optical Mouse, Windows 2000 Pro (SP3) ::
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2002 17:24
Hmm... my patch seems a bit erratic. Sometimes the CD will validate with it, others I have to restart DBPro and try again, still with the patch, then it works. Now that I know that it only requires the CD every 100 compiles (I thought it was on a time basis), I guess I can live with the original setup.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:56:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:56:22