Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Any plans to allow AGK to create Smart TV Apps?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 21:33 Edited at: 15th Apr 2012 21:38
There are many 'Smart' internet connected Televsions available now, the likes of LG, Sharp, Philips and Samsung have apps available to download (both free and paid for).

SDK's are available for download.

Are the AppGameKit team intending to roll out AppGameKit to this new platform?

Link to the LG Developers Site
http://developer.lgappstv.com/devel/main/main.lge?menu=0

Link to Samsung Developers Site
http://www.samsungdforum.com/

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 21:52
And for Panasonic Viera...

http://developer.vieraconnect.com/

Intel i7-2600k - Asus P67 Sabertooth - 16GB RAM - 2x GTX 460 OC SLI - Lexar 128GB SSD Drive - 2TB ATA/600, Windows 7 x64. iPad, iPad2, iPhone 3GS & 4, HTC Inspire, Mac-Mini. Apps published: 3
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
if they support c++ and opengl there might be a possibility in the future, but i think that tgc made it clear that first they want to support windows phone & html5
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 10:18
Is tve market really that big for them, AppGameKit is a gamemaking tool and I find it hard to believe that a smart TT is that good to play games on...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
wait till the end of year... if Apple will release their iPanel TV/console, everything will change!
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If Apple brings out a TV with a Game Console, this will be wonderful news. Hell I might get one especially for development reasons....
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
... and if it's iOS based, then it's great news for all of us!!!

and then we will need AppGameKit 3d cos it makes a lot of sense to do 3d games on a large screen!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 22:20
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 05:16
Quote: "
wait till the end of year... if Apple will release their iPanel TV/console, everything will change!
"

TV isn't a portable device nor is it a easy to use device. So, I don't think that is a big concern. I know people think Apple is successful at everything, but that isn't true. That is an illusion filled by fan-boy dreams. I am betting the TV will fail, but that's just me.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 06:17 Edited at: 18th Apr 2012 06:23
yeah apple has a handle on the portable market only....#1 being the i phone.

apple tv will go nowhere..... and eventualy ipad i think is just a phase as well that will be nothing more then an internet browsing tool / high def dust collector. Asking what friends i do have with the ipads say they use it for nothing more then safari.

At least with my windows 7 tablet.... it runs anything for the most part of what your windows 7 desktop is capable of minus some of the 3d hardware....but still fairly decient. I love the ability to have a free system as for the ios its locked up tighter then a nun. The only way to get software on those things is through apples store wich realy stinks!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It's all about app development here, and which system gives the better returns.

At the moment iOS offers the best profit possibilities.

don't take my word for it check this thread...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=194150&b=46&p=0#m2336440
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 04:49
iOS offers the best profit possibilities that is true. The problem is that only makes sense with portable devices.

You already have a bigger screen on your ipad, why would you need a 50 inch screen to play ipad games? It makes no sense.

iOS is only good with portable devices with quick games that are cheap, and Apple isn't likely to sell people on TV's no matter what fanboys say.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
We'll know one year after the TV or console thing is released. If it takes on, it's all good news for us!
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 20:09
Actually smart tvs have been on the market for some time (though not the one apple makes) and they are steadily getting more popular. I do not know what operating system they use though.

Jason
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i think every tv has its own custom os.
don't know how much 3rd party apps are actually available on these smart tvs.

we'll have to see if apple will fail on the tv platform, or if it will pull another big one like the ipad.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 19:40
Interesting how apple is copying windows (windows media center) these days

Honestly though, if it can get MS to add new features to WMC I'm all for it

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And for Panasonic Viera...

http://developer.vieraconnect.com/"

I personally developed an indie app for Panasonic this year and am sorrily disappointed in the experience.

First, you cannot review the API documentation before paying $130+ per year for a developer fee, which is more than the cost to develop for iOS, Xbox, Android, and most other much larger platforms. The API supplied to third party developers is painfully limited, it is a very cut back variant of JavaScript.

There are no commands to save or load any data or to uniquely identify the device. If you want to save any settings you'd have to develop a full user registration system and handle all data storage via HTTP requests; they'd have to manually enter their login details every time they open the app since nothing can be saved internally.

You can only have a max of nine sound effects (including music) per app, and the audio quality must be 1 channel 11.025Khz.

Everything must be hosted on your own server and has to be downloaded each time the user runs the app.

The "review" process before approving the app took over two entire months, despite my app being one of perhaps two apps under review. There were many aspects of the review process that I would not want to go through again.

Now that the app is live, no details are provided over how many people have purchased/downloaded it, even weeks later. There are less than two dozen game apps on their market, and very few indie developers.

I'm not sure how the other Smart TV markets compare, but I would never recommend Panasonic's (great products, lousy and expensive app market). TGC would never be able to port even a fraction of AGK's functionality over to its API.
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 04:20 Edited at: 24th Apr 2012 04:21
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Apps published: 3
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know why these smart tv makers go into the trouble to reinvent the wheel and do a limited OS when there is Android.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 15:50:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 15:50:13