Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Trojan horse Clicker.AXMB in Particle Sandbox?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 16:53
When I came into my office (the commute is grueling, a whole flight of stairs), I was greeted with an AVG Threat Detected alert from the AVG Resident Shield. (AVG is my anti virus/spyware software.)

It was claiming that it found the Trojan horse Clicker.AXMB in the main executable for AppGameKit Particle Sandbox (AGKPS.exe).

I then made a mistake and closed the dialog before I told it to ignore the threat. So, it deleted the file. This is not an issue, it can be reinstalled.

The question is whether there actually may be a virus in the file. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 17:39
Probably not. It's possible a virus infected your copy of AppGameKit, but it's more likely that AVG just gave a false positive (happens all the time).

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 22:25
I'm pretty sure it's a false positive, as I didn't include any viruses in the .exe file.

Also, Norton quarantines all my new AppGameKit .exe files, as being "not used by very many people".
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 22:42
I suspected a false positive. But I thought I'd ask, just to be sure.

Rich, I'm sure you wouldn't include a virus. But there was always the outside chance that the downloaded file got corrupted somewhere along the line.

I haven't had a chance to truly explore the tool, yet. But it looks like it has lots of possibilities.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 23:21
Quote: ""not used by very many people"."

That's the worst reason to block a program I have ever heard
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 06:36
@Ancient Lady - oh, and thanks for getting the program! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 12:20
Sometime ago Norton gave me a false negative about an exe file, and all my laptop has been infected. I had to run a long and dangerous process to recover the PC. I do not want to being put to court by Symantec, but it is one of the worst AV in the market. Maybe Avast is better and is free too (and it puts less plumbing in the CPU).
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 14:41
I'm a particular fan of nod32, or for something free, ms security essentials.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 17:26
After having tried several anti-virus/anti-spyware tools over the years (and Norton was worst), I discovered AVG a few years ago.

I initially just used the free version, to see how I liked it. When I decided that I would use it on my other computers, I realized that they only allowed one free version per household. I had three computers to protect at that time and went with the paid version.

I haven't looked back since. I even paid for a two year license for one nephew at Thanksgiving when his laptop was infected.

Since then, they've gone to the suites thing. But you can disable what you don't want to use. It's still been one of the best for stability and minimal footprint.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 16:03
My favorite is AVG. I, too, have gotten this infection result. I'm glad somebody else has gotten it and it has been reported. I have gotten few false positives with AVG.

McAfee is also not too bad. Road Runner Broadband service gives this away free but haven't installed it on my AppGameKit development machine.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 16:35
McAfee gave me major headaches in Windows 2K and XP. I used it for a couple of years before deciding I couldn't live with it. Even though it was well rated for catching lots of viruses. Memory hog and interfered with performance.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:03:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:03:12