Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] - Acceleration of a bungee jumper

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 09:51 Edited at: 7th Jul 2013 22:14
Long story short: It turns out that a bungee jumper with a massive enough rope will accelerate faster than gravity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1erU-Cwcl2c

It's counter-intuitive, and I wasn't quite satisfied with the analysis provided at http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-bungee-jumping.html. So of course, I tried to simulate it from first principles. Since the video above used a chain, I'm considering a bungee jumper attached to a chain. (yeah, ouch)

There are several forces simulated:
#1 of course is gravity
#2 is contact with other links in the chain. This uses hooke's law (F=-kx) and only comes in to play if two links are far enough apart.
#3 is dampening of the chain - a force proportional to velocity, resisting velocity. Without this dampening force, energy would be conserved in a chain, so the bungee jumper would fly back up to his original position, and would keep bouncing forever.
#4 is friction between chain particles. It acts perpendicular to the axis of collision and resists motion. Without it, even if particles vertical movement is dampened, the horizontal movement keeps going on for a while.

The same 3 (friction, dampening, collision) forces are modeled for collision with the ground, too.

Here's the simulation:

It's setup to run a realistic simulation first. If that runs slowly you can run other setup subroutines or tweak the variables yourself. Spacekey drops the masses (so that you can wait until the chain stops moving) and shiftkey shows the acceleration graph.

Here's a pic of the acceleration:

The white area is the interesting area, before the chain goes tight and the mass starts accelerating up again. The red spike at the beginning of the freefall is due to stored energy from the stretching of the chain, and the red spike towards the end is the part where the acceleration increases appreciably. The blue line is the other mass falling at 9.81 meters per second.

After one mass hits the ground it bounces repeatedly and slows to a stop quickly (blue line). The red line - the mass on a chain - oscillates and slows down much more slowly.

A more realistic graph is this one, where the chain has a much higher spring constant:

the green line is the acceleration predicted in the article above, with the equation:

where y is negative meters from the top (so if y=0 the object is at the start and if y=70 the object is at the end)

As you can see, there's a pretty big discrepancy between the model and my graph. Either my model is inaccurate or the website's model is. I'm leaning towards my model being the more correct one

"I <3 u 2 bbz" - Dark Frager
noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
well this is impressive indeed

but i think this iss perhaps the wrong place to post this, after all i dont think this is a piece of code anyone could just use and implement in their programs . But hey whatever theres plenty of theoretical stuff here allready.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
yeaahh... it seems like most times stuff like this is posted in the 20 lines challenge but... it's longer than 20 lines

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 18:16 Edited at: 20th Jun 2012 18:17
Bump! I wrote a super fancy renderer for a youtube video of this, so I thought I'd share it.

You need advanced 2D and... I think the matrix1utils to run it.
image of the program

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 19:12
That is highly impressive! Awesome job!

TheComet

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 02:22 Edited at: 25th Jul 2012 02:23
[edit] didn't mean to post here >.>