Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / What specs do I give to my graphics artist for creating graphics for the iphone?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 07:48
The specs for my test iphone 3g are 320x480W at 163 ppi; so if I have graphics created at 960 x 640, at what resolution should the pics be set to.

The reason I'm asking is that I have mock pics created at 960 x 640 and I have code written at

So when I broadcast the picture to the iPhone 3G its blurry and pixelated. It doesn't look as clean when looking at the pic on the computer.

Basically, what specs do I give to my graphics artist.
I want to release the app on most iPhones and the iPad.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 12:36
Quote: "So when I broadcast the picture to the iPhone 3G its blurry and pixelated."

If you're using the AppGameKit Viewer (as opposed to the Player) then I'm afraid that's inevitable because basically what happens is AppGameKit sends what is currently being displayed in the app on your pc to your iphone. It also grabbs the input from your iphone and sends it back to your computer for processing. So basically the app isn't running independently on your iphone.

Code wise though, AppGameKit will automaitcally scale resolutions according to the width and height specified in teh setup.agc file so try this:

Also, set the width and height specified in the setup.agc file to 480 and 320 respectively. This should remove the need to use the setSpriteSize command.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 14:29
Quote: "So when I broadcast the picture to the iPhone 3G its blurry and pixelated. It doesn't look as clean when looking at the pic on the computer."

You can reduce the blur by rendering to a small size. I would set the virtual resolution to no more than 480x320 or 320x480 for testing on the viewer.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 23:01
Quote: "I would set the virtual resolution to no more than 480x320 or 320x480 for testing on the viewer."

But wouldn't that chop off parts of the game if the original virtual resolution was higher?

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 01:30
Thanks for the responses guys! I will test it out.
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 06:10
Quote: "If you're using the AppGameKit Viewer (as opposed to the Player) then I'm afraid that's inevitable because basically what happens is AppGameKit sends what is currently being displayed in the app on your pc to your iphone. It also grabbs the input from your iphone and sends it back to your computer for processing. So basically the app isn't running independently on your iphone. "

So this is common place then because the picture looks smudgey and blurred.?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 10:46
Quote: "But wouldn't that chop off parts of the game if the original virtual resolution was higher?"

This is also the recommended resolution for iOS because it will work on older iPhones. Only newer iPhones have a resolution of 960x640.

It is always better to use a small resolution in AppGameKit and scale the sprites according to the aspect ratio or a scale based on the resolution.

Quote: "So this is common place then because the picture looks smudgey and blurred.?"

The AppGameKit Viewer is a stop gap solution to Apple not allowing the AppGameKit Player through to the App Store. It's not a real representation of what your game will look or play like on the device.

I would recommend using the AppGameKit Player service if you want to develop for iOS:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=193860&b=41

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 10:57
Quote: "This is also the recommended resolution for iOS because it will work on older iPhones. Only newer iPhones have a resolution of 960x640.

It is always better to use a small resolution in AppGameKit and scale the sprites according to the aspect ratio or a scale based on the resolution."

That's a good point and leads me to my next question. If I have an app and state that the Virtual Resolution is 960x640 but then, in the setup.agc file, set the width to 480 and height to 320 which resolution is used when compiling for iOS via bytecode?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 11:09 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 11:10
Quote: "If I have an app and state that the Virtual Resolution is 960x640 but then, in the setup.agc file, set the width to 480 and height to 320 which resolution is used when compiling for iOS via bytecode?"

Good question! The resolution is set automatically to either 960x640 or 480x320 by the device. The code you put in your game decides how to deal with that.

By setting it to a virtual resolution of 480x320 and positioning / scaling your game based on that you create a game that will work on either (remember you can set the window size to 960x640 in the setup.agc file and still set the "virtual" resolution to 480x320 in your code).

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 11:20
Quote: "The resolution is set automatically to either 960x640 or 480x320 by the device. The code you put in your game decides how to deal with that."

I see now.

Quote: "By setting it to a virtual resolution of 480x320 and positioning / scaling your game based on that you create a game that will work on either"

Very true. Thanks baxslash!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 12:02
Glad to help

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 15:51
Quote: "The AppGameKit Viewer is a stop gap solution to Apple not allowing the AppGameKit Player through to the App Store. It's not a real representation of what your game will look or play like on the device."

OK. Cool. I was getting worried there for a minute because I thought I wasn't relaying the correct specs to my graphics artist.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can now Raise the anchor! Hoist the sails! Take the wheel!
And continue this adventure...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 18:55
Good luck!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:22:24