Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / An appeal to The Game Creators regarding Dark GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Sir,

Please make Dark GDK at par feature-wise with Dark Basic Pro.

Those who believe in this cause please post your support in confirmation to this appeal. The more the number of posts the more creators of Dark GDK will take the issue under consideration - so please post ......

Thanks,
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, you can always edit the DGDK source yourself, that is what I have been doing.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 17:13
Dark GDK comes as a bunch of libs, can they be re-compiled?

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mr Bigglesworth: Dark GDK is opensource ? Where is the source code hosted ?

Dark GDK still lacks the new new cloth and particle commands that are present in Dark Basic Pro U73 (released on 14th May 2009) even though
the last update for Dark GDK was on October 2010 !
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 19:05
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
OH ! I see ..... so it is up to us now I guess ..... Lee will not bother any further updated versions after 2010 I guess .....
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 21:17
Juggernaut, Lee is busy with App Game Kit and FPS Creator eventually. It's just impossible for him to keep tract of DBPro & DarkGDK also.

Though, he could pick somebody to continue it for him (Which wouldn't be easy, but'd be cool)

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@kamac: Can we expect an uphaul of Dark GDK and Dark Basic Pro from the state it is today - like inbuilt fetaure inclusion for per pixel lighting, stencil and PSSM shadows, volumetric lighting etc. - since all of us are not adept in writing shader codes.

AGK is an excellent product - One language - multi platform deployment - which is a required feature in today's world ....... but some thing very big is missing in AppGameKit - it does not support 3D game development!

Which leaves us to Dark GDK - since C++ gives us the ability to leverage full hardware potential - performance wise - and in this area Dark GDK beats Dark Basic Pro hands down - no comparison is necessary. I have tested that myself recently.

A query -

1. Can I use DirectX9c / DirectX 10 / DirectX 11 API alongside Dark GDK ? If so how do I transfer Dark GDK Data (3DObjects,meshes,limbs,camera,lights etc.) back and forth from DirectX ? Any commands in Dark GDK available for doing that ?

Please help if anybody knows how to do this.

2. Can I directly use PhysX 3.2 along with my Dark GDK code ? If so, can any guide me to an available step by step guide or tutorial for that ?

Thanks,
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 09:22 Edited at: 28th Apr 2012 09:24
Quote: "@kamac: Can we expect an uphaul of Dark GDK and Dark Basic Pro from the state it is today - like inbuilt fetaure inclusion for per pixel lighting, stencil and PSSM shadows, volumetric lighting etc. - since all of us are not adept in writing shader codes."

I don't think that you can expect those updates any soon, because adding them would take quite a while and Lee is working pretty much all the day and barely having time to code anyway.

Quote: "AGK is an excellent product - One language - multi platform deployment - which is a required feature in today's world ....... but some thing very big is missing in AppGameKit - it does not support 3D game development!"

This will come with time You can be sure it will.

Quote: "1. Can I use DirectX9c / DirectX 10 / DirectX 11 API alongside Dark GDK ? If so how do I transfer Dark GDK Data (3DObjects,meshes,limbs,camera,lights etc.) back and forth from DirectX ? Any commands in Dark GDK available for doing that ?"

DarkGDK itself is just functions. Those functions use DirectX 9.0c.
It is possible to call DirectX 9.0c yourself, and use it alongside DarkGDK, but I am uncertain about merging it with higher DX versions. Even if it's possible, it's not worth it, because it's better to stick with one version. (Merging them would be hard anyway, as DX 9 really differs to DX 11)

If there would be DarkGDK for DirectX 11, it would have to be re-built and distributed as either update, which would require DirectX 11 from the user, or either separate product.

Quote: "2. Can I directly use PhysX 3.2 along with my Dark GDK code ? If so, can any guide me to an available step by step guide or tutorial for that ?"

Yes, you can.

Though, try looking here for simplified solution.
If you want direct PhysX with DarkDGK, here are some forum links I've found:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=150169&b=22

Remember, that PhysX are simply functions doing physics maths (complicated maths). You just pass values to it. Wise would be to search for some tutorials on the web for solutions.

If you won't want to mess around with PhysX to get them working,
give DarkPHYSICS a try. Even if it costs some money.

About shaders - This is all about HLSL. Look there:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=91453&b=1
And are some sites which offer HLSL tutorials:
http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/hlsl-tutorials
http://quest3d.com/forum/index.php?topic=63906.0

HLSL is very similar to C/C++ (Just as GLS).

(Sorry, I'd answer yesterday but my internet went down)

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@kamac: Thank you for such a detailed reply and helping me and me-alike newbies to find the correct path ...... I will certainly look into the URLs shown by you. Thank you very much once again for your support.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 12:37
In my opinion DGDK is the most powerful resource of the TGC products.

It is a pity that it seems to be too difficult for newcomers and kind of too basic for the advanced programmers.

For me it is exactly what I need: Fast development, that can get as complex as you want, nice performance, and standard C/C++ code.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 21:28
Quote: "@kamac: Thank you for such a detailed reply and helping me and me-alike newbies to find the correct path ...... I will certainly look into the URLs shown by you. Thank you very much once again for your support."

You are welcome

(Sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I was on holiday.)

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
no problem friend ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:40:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:40:11