Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / 8-Bit Music Maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 21:50 Edited at: 3rd May 2012 00:51
Hello again everyone! About 2 years ago I posted a thread in the W.I.P. section saying that i was making a music synth. (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170328&b=8) I only got so far and then i got bored of the project and gave up.

But I rediscovered the file about 2 days ago, and decided i'd finish it off/ completely rewrote it now i'm more competent with DB. So here is what i've come up with:

It's not finished yet; the percussive line doesn't do anything and there are a few other features to be added yet, but it's still usable. I've tried to keep everything fairly intuitive, so the whole thing is just drag and drop with the mouse. (Instructions and a demo piece are included)

There are still a few minor bugs here and there, but I'll hopefully manage to iron those out soon.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st May 2012 06:17
that is pretty funky and has some nice potential I believe...

was this in DBC or DBP? [oh yeah checked other thread and yes its DBP I suppose]

just a note... you should implement a umm error trapping as it just crashes if something goes wrong...

I will gladly for the fun of it help you with feedback and test runs for this

oh and Hi I believe it is the first time we have met

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, DBpro... Not that you could really tell from the Windows 95 style GUI (i'm not too great with GUIs )

Which particular error was causing it to crash? I've added a few 'error trapping' codes already, but there's still a couple missing as you say.

And we met briefly under one of my code snippets, But Hi anyway

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 10:54
Hi again then lol

I think I was fiddling with the modifiers or compiling a lot...

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
I think i know what one you mean... I've fixed it now hopefully, but i won't re-upload until I've made a few more mods.

Did you find the demo file that i supplied with it?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 18:36
yeah the one in the music folder right?

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah and the save file... i meant to say that that was there in the instructions or somewhere... but i forgot .

I'm doing a Tetris theme one for the new update, which uses the features I just added.

I've added in pitch change, and the ability to colour code the notes so you can easily see which line it is (like harmony or bass line etc.) Still yet to do anything towards percussion though. I may have the update ready by tonight.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 00:43
Good Stuff

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 14:43 Edited at: 2nd May 2012 14:43
I was going to ask if there was some demo music, but you have said that now. It does help to get people to download it.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2012 16:57
that was the best expriance i had in the forum for a long time

very awesome.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
OPEN
Hard to open anything if you have no file selector.

But yeah it is getting there.

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 21:23 Edited at: 2nd May 2012 21:49
Yeah I know, I really need to sort out the saving system...

@haliop I'm glad you liked it It's hopefully going to get a lot better soon!

I've now made it so you can have 3 different lines of music, each with it's own fade, bend, volume and wavetype. Makes it much more flexible (and sound more awesome ). I'll try and post a new download tonight.

To give you something while you wait, I'll post the new demo song:

EDIT: New update posted at the top!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 21:51
I tested it last night, but before the midnight update. It was probably the most simplest and straight forward 8-bit music maker, I've used.

And that's a good thing. however I did notice a few bugs in that version:

As the tune becomes longer and the Tempo becomes faster. Some of the last few notes are dropped when Compiled. I created a tune that lasted 15 seconds and the last two notes were not played, as the tempo is increased from 60 to 80 the last three notes were dropped.

Changing the waveform while many notes are on the digital sheet results in an array out of bounds error.

Beside from those two minor problems you have easy to use and potentially user friendly program. Great stuff
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
@cyril Yeah, I'd noticed the tempo problem, but can't find out what's causing it.
As a temporary fix I just add on an extra note a couple of spaces after the end of the song, but hopefully I can find the problem soon...

The wave form thing should be fixed, as that whole system has changed greatly since the last post.

If you hadn't seen yet, I've updated the upload.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:31:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:31:14