Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] War (Card Game) – Online Multiplayer

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 04:10 Edited at: 6th May 2012 06:08

Hey guys. This is the game Kravenwolf and I are working on right now. We wanted to start off with something simple, so we decided to do a card game. Pretty sure just about everyone knows about War, so there’s no need to go into that. Finishing up the online multiplayer code at the moment, but the game can also be played split-screen (sharing a device), or you can play against the computer.

Kravenwolf is finishing the artwork on the selectable themes for the game right now, so players can customize the look for their devices (themes change the backdrop, the font, and the card backs). Below is the latest theme he has done:

Real gameplay of Me vs Kravenwolf Online

We’ve also added additional game settings so players can customize the way they play a game (such as adding a Joker to each player’s deck, etc). When joining an online party, the game will search the available games being hosted for the one that best matches the game settings you’ve selected. This way a player with his heart set on playing a game of Peace won’t be thrown into a game of Classic War) This method makes it easier than having a server list, and making the player(s) scroll through a large list of names and settings to find a game they want to play.

Players can mix and match any combination of settings in Classic War, Instant War, and Peace, so the game doesn’t become repetitive.

If anyone has any suggestions for additional themes, we’d welcome them

Sean

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 08:39
Looking nice. I wish you luck but you might not want to afford hosting a server. The cheapest (and the weakest) windows one 58$ a month. (www.rackspace.com)

Or you do it by HTTP?

Follow me on twitter! @kamac496
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looking nice. I wish you luck but you might not want to afford hosting a server. The cheapest (and the weakest) windows one 58$ a month. (www.rackspace.com)

Or you do it by HTTP?"

Using HTTP

Sean

Krisacz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 13:44
Or he could use amazon cloud - it's quite cheap and you get free (slow) server for some limited period - perfect for testing.
LINK
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 14:35
Looks great, the images are very clean and the style is nice. What is the gameplay exactly? I'm not sure I understand how it is played.

I haven't actually played "War".

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Pretty sure just about everyone knows about War"

Lol, I have heard of "war", tend to hear about it on the news regularly, but never heard of the card game. I loath card games though, and never play them, so that is probably why :o .
Still this looks well presented and slick. I'm sure people who enjoy card games would waste hours on it I have considered something along similar lines myself, but my natural dislike for card games puts me at a disadvantage Hard to work on things you don't particularly enjoy playing yourself.
I'm sure this could do well on release!

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2012 04:41
Quote: "Looks great, the images are very clean and the style is nice. "

Quote: "Still this looks well presented and slick."

Thanks guys. Still have to polish the artwork up a bit on the menu screens, and then we'll be sharing a few more pics of some different themes and etc. Hockeykid will have to stop by to respond to your server/programming questions, as that's his department.

Quote: "What is the gameplay exactly? I'm not sure I understand how it is played."

It's actually a pretty simple game to pick up on, and can be a lot of fun. A deck is shuffled and then divided evenly between the two players. Each turn (or battle), player set the top card of their deck into the center of the play area. The highest card out of the two set in the center wins the "battle" (Card ranks: >2-10,J,Q,K,A), and the player that won gets to take both of those and add them to his or her discard pile.

When a player's deck is out of cards, they shuffle their discard pile and then it becomes their new deck. This is repeated throughout the game until one player runs out of cards to play--that player loses the game.

When two cards of the same value are set (a King and a King, for example), a "War" is triggered. Both players then set 3 face-down cards over those cards, and then another face-up card. The highest face-up card wins, and that player then takes all of the cards played from the war.

Kravenwolf

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2012 11:10
Oh, so there's no actual skill involved, just luck? I'm sorry to say I won't be playing it then but it does look extremely well done!

victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Using HTTP "

If you find the time, do you mind maybe writing up a quick tutorial or point me in the right direction on how exactly you use HTTP as a multiplayer protocol?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:20:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:20:54