Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Importing older games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if you can, or have heard about.. anyone importing older software in to dbpro to update it?

I have found a ton of ancient game discs which I can't run anymore, so was wondering if there is a way to put it in to dbpro and either update or rip out what I can to remake..

Possible?

//
Radgravity
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 14:29
At first I thought you meant old Dark Basic Pro games, but I'm not sure that is what you meant.

If they are old Dos/Windows 95/98 games, then your probably better off downloading a free Virtual Machine and emulating the old os under that.

But in answer to your question, you may be able to use some of the media (graphics and sounds), but you won't be able to magically take the exe and make it run. You'd have to rewrite them from scratch.

Radgravity
Years of Service
User Offline
Fair enough, thats what I wanted to know..

How would I strip the sound and graphics out then? Simple or??

//
Radgravity
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 19:51 Edited at: 8th May 2012 19:52
Well, I would have a browse through the cd's and see if any of them contain media in a usable format (e.g .wav, .x, .png).

Other than that, I'm not sure, but Google is always quite helpful when you need to find something out

>Edit<
Is my signiture image working for anyone else? It's not working for me on my laptop today, all I see is the red cross icon.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 20:21 Edited at: 8th May 2012 20:22
Quote: "Is my signiture image working for anyone else?"

no. my guess is because http://digs.by/kchXva is not an image (and the link to BFC is invalid, too).

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 20:23
@Virtual Nomad:
No, It's from the Digsby link shortening thing; I wasn't sure if they expired or not and I guess perhaps they do.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 20:24
Quote: "...Digsby link shortening "

ah, not familiar with that one. am now

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 20:56
Quote: "I was wondering if you can, or have heard about.. anyone importing older software in to dbpro to update it?"

I'm gonna take a different guess to everyone else and try this:

Do you mean old BASIC programs?

It depends on the which basic how easily it can be done but I'd say in 99% of cases it should be easy to translate. However the way you use the code may change drastically. For example, Nibbles.bas could be "ported" to a modern system as QBasic programs are easy to translate (well some of my functions were at least) but the graphical side of the code would need an overhaul because DBPro (to my knowledge) will not display extended ASCII correctly and Nibbles uses this in place of graphics. But, that aspect was actually a complication in itself back when the game was written and so a complex solution was required. With the easy 2D collision of DBPro, handling the graphics would be easier. Then you would have to change certain other structures about the code so you'de mostly be writing a DBPro game using Nibbles as a stencil. Of course with a game of that size and simplicity, it would likely be quicker to recode it from scratch, so this is a purely academic point. The challenge would only be in trying to keep the mechanisms of the source in Nibblec.dba as close to that of Nibbles.bas as possible. A good project for somebody looking to procrastinate with a project or New Year's resolution.

See Also: There's a project called QB64 which allows old QBasic programs to run on modern systems and adds some new functions and commands to the QBasic command set. It's more a hobbyist thing though.

See Also: As for getting older programs to run, if they are DOS-based stuff like Commander Keen, you can run them using a free program called "DOS BOX" - one of many emulators out there.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th May 2012 13:14
this thread made me smile today

Radgravity
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, been REALLY ill..

Well there are some older games which I think would still hold up today if it werent for the graphics or some minor tweaking.

Sooo was seeing if I could update essentially, or I'd have to build from the ground up.. If I could be bothered over my main project

//
Radgravity
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 13:01
Quote: "Well there are some older games which I think would still hold up today if it werent for the graphics"

Totally agree!!!

I think the reason those old games were so good is because they managed to focus on fluid controls, simplicity (a game doesn't need to simulate RL, after all, it's a game), gameplay oriented (as apposed to achievement oriented) and many of tham had amazing soundtracks despite the limitations of the old sound chips.

Getting back on track, if we're talking old games that are already compiled, you'd do best to remake them as even attaining the source code would be little good because the actual coding dynamic would change (unless we're talking really simple games like pacman, nibbles, galaga). Also many PC games were made using very unfamiliar dialects...
This is assuming that the copyright holders allow you to. You see even old software still has a copyright and if it hasn't expired, you could end up in a world of trouble doing a remake, even if it's for non-commercial purposes.
So if you did wanna do a remake, I'd find out who the copyright holders are as they may no longer be the organisation listed on the intro screen (This can happen if the company is liquidated and its copyrights sold, because of mergers, or whatever). After finding out who owns the copyright make a test level or demo video of your remake and submit it to them with a motivational letter that explains your exact intentions. Only when you have permission can you continue. If they really like it, they may offer to publish it for you in which case you may end up gaining a good reputation in the industry.
Alternately, if you have the financial means, you could try purchasing the copyright (you'll need a good lawyer to ensure everything is above board and nobody gets ripped off too).
You could also remake an old game and call it something else and use different graphics and music and change the mechanics a little and prolly get away with it easily although I suggest consulting a copyright lawyer to find out the exact percentage that has to be different to keep you in the clear. Remember a legal consultation can cost you a lot less than a lawsuit from a huge corporation.

Radgravity
Years of Service
User Offline
Much appreciated ^.^

//
Radgravity

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 12:59:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 12:59:50