Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Getting Used to a Pen Tablet

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 09:32
I could have sworn there was an artist forum here years ago. However, this seems the most appropriate place to ask my question....

I just bought a Wacom tablet and find it a horrid input device. How do you get used to using the thing? I'm assuming it's just using it repetitively. My attempts at drawing something are worse than trying with the mouse. My attempts at just trying to block a shape are proving kindergarten level.

*considers returning to paper and oil pastels then the scanner*

Any good pointers or techniques to improve? I'm not an artist but am wanting to learn to do some stuff for my project.

Thanks!

In Development: K96 - Combat Simulation
Keep your Hope and Change, I choose individual Liberty!
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 10:08
Unfortunately, it's just something you've gotta get used to. I still prefer drawing with pencil, but for texturing and other work in photoshop, I prefer my tablet over a mouse.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
Nateholio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 11:59
Not entirely unfortunate. Good things don't come without effort. I guess I'll have to resolve that my work will look like Picasso until I get the hang of the tablet.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th May 2012 15:55
I got a fun pen and touch a few weeks ago too... just no time to practice yet and its a bit odd not looking at your hand while moving it around...

I got it to produce concept art work and paint some nice textures hopefully...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I might get one as well in a few weeks time. Now that they are £38 it's a good price.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 18:33
£38? where? is that the small one? I got this one...

WACOM Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch Graphics Tablet - Small

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 18:36 Edited at: 12th May 2012 18:38
This is the one that I was looking at...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-ctl470ken-Bamboo-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B005TYVS4Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

You save if you don't get touch.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 18:37
ah previous gen... no buttons... trust me you will want buttons!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the advantage of touch?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 18:45
well buttons help undo faster...

touch allows me to rotate my canvas amongst other things, frankly forget pinch zoom its pathetic but the multi finger controls work pretty good... well in Win7 theyre brilliant once you get used to them...

the rotating canvas depends on your software... [that art rage does support rotating - let me know if you have issues finding your registration site as I had to send a very wordy email to get it]

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 07:34
I've always found controls on the tablet itself to be a little irritating. It definitely has it's uses, but I find that having one hand on the keyboard solves most of that.

@Nateholio, you just gotta practice really. I know the feeling, cause my first tablet paintings were pretty average too, and I stopped using it. Once you get the pressure sensitivity worked out, you'll have a lot better go of it!

Greenlig

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.
Nateholio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 09:05
Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the tablet even outside of GIMP just to get used to the hand-screen coordination and tapping. The pressure aspect doesn't seem to be too difficult. I only made two mistakes so far "typing" this post. I'm usually pretty quick to pick up on stuff. Right now it seems like the biggest problems will be learning how to use GIMP correctly and the proper techniques such as lighting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:31:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:31:13