Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A function in Tier1 which returns the Internet Connection Type ? (3G? / Wifi?)

Author
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 04:38 Edited at: 13th May 2012 04:41
Would it be possible to implement this in Tier1 ? I know that this function exists in iOS and Android SDKs...

With the new HTTP Commands, it's now a need to detect this and prevent (or notice him) user from downloading, for example, big pictures over 3G ... or another case, to allow online games over Wifi only and not over 3G ...

And simply to detect if there is an available Internet Connection ...

possible ?

(on a desktop device (Mac/PC) it would return "LAN" :p)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th May 2012 09:45 Edited at: 13th May 2012 10:15
this is a good question, hoping there is an answer

[sits here eagerly awaiting a future response]

EDIT

ok realised 1073 is now out and no idea what's new...

EDIT

in fact I missed out on 1071 and 1072

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 13:44
up ?
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 01:41
Well Mike, i suggest to use a web host to connect to a php script where to take the internet alias instead the IP and send back to your device software.
I never done this, but i think you can do easily.

Hmmm, to be more clear, if you go in the DOS shell and use the command TRACERT or PING you can see (at least here in Italy i can see it) the alias with the carrier both with the IP.

You can try to catch in this way.

iPhone/iPad Games/Apps : Street Karate Fighter - 90s VideoPokers Simulator - Ball VS Brick - CB RadioBox - Artic
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 04:24
Yes it's easy to reverse the IP to DNS but SDKs (iOS, Android and others) have a clean method/function in their APIs to retrieve the connection type and state So, it could be cool to implement it for AppGameKit Tier 1 to prevent unnecessary connection attempts

But thanks for your suggestion !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 07:42:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 07:42:15