Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Wolfs 2012 3D Thread

Author
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2012 01:33
Nice work

Same with the Makarov.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 20:45
Thanks Vent! I'm a bit proud of these to be honest

Houses! Suburban and Haunted houses pack for a client:

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 17:25 Edited at: 8th Oct 2012 17:27
Hey there forum dwellers!

I'm back with a couple updates of media I do for clients:

Second house. I do a set of 4 suburban houses with texture variations as my client wishes to create a neighbourhood of typical suburban houses. There'll be a large haunted manor on the way too if you are interested

Great Chandelier. Part of the same request.

And for Canalyst, a new weapon! I must admit I kept pulling this off and had a frustrating time with it. An AK is just a pain to model and terror to unwrap... I don't know what to pin this on. Its just a wierd weapondesign in general.

Personally I think its a bad idea to use an underbarrel-grenadelauncher (if you translate it like that into english) in underground tunnels after 40 years without maintenance but hey!

I'm just joking of course

The gun has a bunch of inconcistencys with the real thing but I guess those are details only a gunenthusiast could point out.
I'll add a worn/rusted texture later...this is just the prototype

So! Feedback is always welcome and ...yeah! thats it nice week to you fellows.

-Wolf

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 18:32
Hey there,

all three look just amazing. To be really honest (and paying attention to detail very much), you should've made the roof of the house to stick out a little bit. Right now it looks a little strange.

The chandelier as the AK just look phenomenal!

Greetings,
Jan

Skype name: thek491
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 21:05
@TheK:
Quote: " To be really honest (and paying attention to detail very much), you should've made the roof of the house to stick out a little bit."

Thats true... I thought that something looked off but didn't quite know what to pin this on

Quote: "The chandelier as the AK just look phenomenal"

Thanks a lot!!

-Wolf

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2012 09:56
The chandelier looks awesome!
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2012 05:06 Edited at: 11th Oct 2012 05:41
hey wolf I will pay you for that Chandelier. I been looking for something like that for a long time.I email you.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 01:42
Hey Wolf, I'm curious, for your weapon models are you working with a high poly sub-d model and baking the AO and normal map info to a low poly?

At the moment it looks to me like you're creating all your normal map data in nDo mabey, which is great for little details and what not, but I'd highly recommend learning sub-d if you havent tried it.

And also for your texture work, its good, you have the fundamentals down really well but I'd again highly recommend taking a look at millenia's work over on polycount, his textures are AWESOME, in fact he did a massive tutorial on the whole process which I worshipped when it got dropped, I just think taking a look at it mihght help give you that extra edge of realism which isn't lacking in your work, but could do with a boost. here's a link, hope it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL925958D31D8D30C7

And, as the fanboy I am I obviously have to drop some of his work on here as an example

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97623

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 09:12
Hey Mazz!

Quote: "Hey Wolf, I'm curious, for your weapon models are you working with a high poly sub-d model and baking the AO and normal map info to a low poly?"

No. I construct them from ground up as a lowpoly model. What you described there is way too advanced for me at the moment.
I'll be excited to get to that in the future though...is this approach an extensive workload or timesaving? Until now I was a bit proud at how fast I can get some models done

Quote: "At the moment it looks to me like you're creating all your normal map data in nDo mabey, which is great for little details and what not, but I'd highly recommend learning sub-d if you havent tried it."

No, I use a generated normalmap (in shadermap pro of the diffuse texture) and edit it in my artprogram to suit the model. Primitive...I know...but that is what I do at the time.

Quote: "And also for your texture work, its good, you have the fundamentals down really well but I'd again highly recommend taking a look at millenia's work over on polycount,"

Thank you!
You are like my father who tends to talk about Dahli whenever we have a discussion about my far inferior paintings

Millenia's work is awesome. No argument there. And so far advanced from anything I do that it gives me the chills

However, while I like his workflow as shown in these youtube vids (fast and efficient)... I do everything with different software and I approach it completely different. Its certainly good for my brain to see new steps and different approaches and I would like to thank you for the links.

I'd have to confess that prior to this thread, I still made the diffuse texture before I unwrapped the model
There is still a lot to learn I am just tapping into right now and tutorials like these certainly help to get a better overview on techniques but...call me arrogant... until now it was fun to discover everything by myself so I wont look up too many tuts

I took a look at millenias webprofile and he does practically flawless guns. Impressive!

-Wolf

Poloflece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 00:36
3d coat is great for normal map baking (and it's pretty damn easy). To get a defined object with the surface derail of the texture, I overlay a generated normal map atop of a baked map.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 01:59
Sub-D work is a must these days, unless you're working on hand painted work it's the standard for hard surface models. In terms of time, it'll take a fair bit longer as you're adding two extra steps, creating your high poly and retopologising; but you'll ultimately spend around the same amount of time as it'll save later hastle during texturing.

However, it's important to realise that at the end of the day it's all about quality rather than quantity.

Now, download xnormal, now, it's a fantastic free program designed for baking high poly info for a variety of maps, normal, AO, displacement, etc. definitley a must, makes baking so easy. And, as an extra bonus, it comes with photoshop plugins. So you can make a height map, and convert that into a normal map and an AO map if you don't want to bake from a high poly source for that stuff. Alternatively, get yourself Ndo, the makers created a second version which costs money, the original is still free and they have a legit download for it burried somewhere on their site, quixel I belive is the name of their company.

Now, these are far better methods for creating normal maps than using the diffuse as they really do very different things, and should be treated that way.

I don't want to be pushing this stuff on you, I'd just say that a year ago I was completely new to sub-d work, and now I can't believe that I ever worked without it. if you want, my current character wip includes a glock style handgun, I could throw up a quick breakdown of my textures, high and low polies along with some explinations, if you think that you'd be intersted in hearing that stuff.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 18:13
Quote: "Sub-D work is a must these days, unless you're working on hand painted work it's the standard for hard surface models."

I see! I have never done anything truly highpoly so far (over 10.000 tris) I just downloaded Xnormal and it looks like a fairly decent program. I'll certainly look into this once I create higher polygon models. (which will be soon as I get back into my visually most advanced projects next year. I aim to use this baking technique on building sets)

The other software "nDo" is no use to me as I don't use photoshop...and I never will. I deeply despise this software for many reasons.

1. Its so bloated in its image that it took over the market and there is next to zero use of any other software in professional environment

2. Most hobby and freelance artists have pirated copies which isn't my style. (its the same with most autodesk software really.)

3. I don't think it is that revolutionary different from other software to varant its EXTREME price.

4. I thoroughly disagree with the point of view of certain tools being a standart to execute an artform.

anyway Mazz! Thanks for hinting me in a new direction. You might have been far more helpful than I know yet
The 3D community is a bit thin here. I mean, you made some of the best work on here and you barely got any comments.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 02:26
Quote: "I aim to use this baking technique on building sets"

I'm confused, what do you mean by this? You're planning on baking entire environments?! That's going to be one massive texture sheet, hope you got some kind of mega texture system to hand

Definitley do an extensive amount of research before starting to bake stuff, most of the terminologies or points risen will most likely be confusing at first, and you'll begin to discover problems you had no idea existed before, suddenly smoothing groups and normal orientations become a big deal.

For xnormal you should really only be baking model specific maps such as props, characters, or tiling textures for environments, of course there may be exceptions to this but they're very rare. If you mean you're planning on using it to bake lightmaps it isn't exactly capable of that, apologies if I've misunderstood you.

Now... Hating photoshop, oh boy you do like to make it challenging for yourself While it may seem clunky if you're familiar with another program it's an industry standard, and pretty much the only industry standard which is global across every developer, whereas programs like maya and max can change from place to place depending on the onsight preference; same goes for zbrush and mudbox and many others. However I'm yet to hear of a dev that doesn't use photoshop so that'll be tricky for you if you do indeed intend to persue a career in this field.

Hopefully something there helped in some manner. And you shouldn't worry about a lack of comments, any practice is good practice unless it begins to become destruction, and in those instances people anywhere are usually pretty good at leaping at it to point out the fault or problem.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 16:17
Quote: "I'm confused, what do you mean by this? You're planning on baking entire environments?!"

No no Single buildings (large to medium sized props). I see that this might come in handy if you work with static lightmapping. This came to my attention when rolfy was working on his "darkhouse" where he used this technique a lot and it looked great.

Quote: "Now... Hating photoshop, oh boy you do like to make it challenging for yourself"

I know, I know

Quote: "whereas programs like maya and max can change from place to place depending on the onsight preference; same goes for zbrush and mudbox and many others. However I'm yet to hear of a dev that doesn't use photoshop so that'll be tricky for you if you do indeed intend to persue a career in this field."

Depends if I ever gather the skills to persue a career in the field. I am familiar with photoshop, I just don't use it. If I ever have a client who insists for some reason that I work on my textures in photoshop I'll do it. So far nobody cared or people just assumed I worked in Photoshop.

Quote: "And you shouldn't worry about a lack of comments any practice is good practice unless it begins to become destruction"

True!

Now about the lack of updates: I was working on a project for a client who wanted to keep it private and I underestimated the workload and ended up working a lot longer on it than I anticipated. I should be able to get back on TheK's guns and the second FPSC cyberpunk pack really soon.

-Wolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 19:30
Time for me to get back to this thread!

Preproduction for a small fantasy game I get into next year:

-Wolf

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2012 00:37
That looks realy cool
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 17:03
Thanks zoq2!

Alright! This is long overdue! I presented this shotgun in october 2011

And now I finally textured it. I guess this really adds to my local reputation of getting things done...but taking a while for it... can be a burden but works great in bed.

To be fair, its no masterpiece but -> okay

-Wolf

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 17:11
That shotgun would be beautiful if only the barrels were larger. The pump actually isn't a complete cylinder but rather curves around the top barrel if you know what I mean.

Unless you weren't going for realism but scifi or seething (never know with you ) then good work!

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 18:39
Not trying to poop on your parade, but, isn't the barrel a tiny bit too thin? I'm no gun expert, but, i think it looks quite thin.

Very nice model, nonetheless.

Unfamillia

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 21:23
Like this if you know what I mean

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 00:15
Agreed, it's very small. Too small to be a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun, but it could be a .410 bore shotgun.

Nice work on it.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 18:08 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2012 18:09
Hey guys!! Thanks a lot. I took your feedback into account and gave the shotgun an overhaul. See attached:

-Wolf

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 18:28
'Have'nt posted here in a while

Sadly, this gun will never make it in the game it was supposed to be part of as I accidentally overwrote the diffuse map and I'm not sure I'll get myself to texture it once again

-Wolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 10:08

Thanks for looking!!

This concludes this thread! Keep in mind that most objects portraied here can be purchased.

-Wolf

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 10:53 Edited at: 28th Dec 2012 10:55
Awesome work, its a pity you lost that texture The weapon itself is very fine modeling, I would hope you would find the inspiration to do it again.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 17:36
Thank you very much

Oh well! I'm sure I will sometime. If Unwrapping wouldnt be so tedious I'd already done it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 03:50:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 03:50:24