Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Why Eclipse?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 14:34
I'm a bit puzzled as to why we need Eclipse, with all the baggage that comes with it. Monkey can use ant, and produces the .apk file in about 5 seconds.

Upload file to Dropbox. Download to tablet/phone. Install. Run.

No need for USB, and strikes me as a lot simpler!

-- Jim
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 15:09
because eclipse is the base ide where you can compile the interpreter and your project file in AGK

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 16:13
Why do we need an IDE?

Ant handles all the compiler issues.

-- Jim
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 16:28
I think if you have discovered an easier way. try it then tell TGC about it. I am new to mobile development and I have to stick with the help file.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Since Eclipse is the official Android IDE, then I guess that's the main reason why AppGameKit went for that solution
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 14:01
Eclipse allows you to build processes for compiling. The Android team have used Eclipse as their framework for building the compiler process. RIM have done the same for their platforms. Behind the scenes, you'll find that it's doing a hell of a lot of gluing things together (SDKs for different technologies etc).

We use Eclipse at work for our IDE, it's more than just a compiler for us. But from this I can see that Eclipse is a very clever bit of kit for making the process seamless for the developer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:51:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:51:38