Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / SpriteFX WIP - Animation system / spritesheet maker

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 09:44
It should create the files in the MyDocuments/AGK/SpriteFX/media folder.

oct(31) = dec(25)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 10:43
Nice to release the tool mate. Should be very useful for people making 2D projects. Some sort of community badge may be in order I feel!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 12:10
Quote: "Nice to release the tool mate. Should be very useful for people making 2D projects."

Might be even more useful when I add Spine export format for AppGameKit V2... no badges though thanks I'm liking my nice clean format. Reboot successful.

oct(31) = dec(25)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 13:27 Edited at: 24th Oct 2013 13:30
EDIT: Oops, missed a page, maybe my post is still relevant though, I think I'm in the ballpark at least.

I don't think it's normal mapping, I think it's similar to a system that I used, because great minds think alike

In my case, I made a flat, unshaded sprite, and 3 lighting sprites, with light from the left, top left, and top. My stuff didn't have to move around too much, just sway back and forth a little, so I didn't need a lot of lighting sprites, I'm guessing that's 4 lighting sprites there. Anyway, it's a case of adjusting the alpha values on the sprites depending on light sources... so a light source at the top means the sprite with the top lighting get's more alpha.

The reason why I don't think it's a normal map, well artists don't like normal maps - they don't offer much control, not in a game where everything is hand painted like that. It might mean that every object and background needs several sprites, but the effect in the hands of a proper artist will be so much better than a normal map. Lights would be able to flicker, there wouldn't be a limit to the number of light sources, lights could be coloured - and if they went the extra step and had a shadow sprite as well... heck that would blow some peoples minds I think.

I could be completely off the mark, but I hope I'm not - the game would look unique with that sort of lighting... and giving Greenlig that level of control just makes sense - normal maps are the devil

I am the one who knocks...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 13:38 Edited at: 24th Oct 2013 13:39
Quote: "I could be completely off the mark, but I hope I'm not"

No you are spot on. I am using coloured lights too like I did in Kingdom so the specular image can be coloured too. It runs really fast too. I had 100 lit objects (about 3000 sprites) running at about 130fps I think with one light source.

There's still room for optimisation too. I've also been improving the SpriteFX code a little. Once we get a demo level working I'll try to share a little more but I have a lot of code to write first and not much time. Greenlig isn't available until November now either so that project is moving slowly at the moment.

I have a great idea for shadows too that might work well but I'll try to get the basic stuff done before I polish this so bright I can't see anything else...

oct(31) = dec(25)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:27:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:27:54