Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Dune Buggy - need advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 18:31 Edited at: 22nd May 2012 18:34
Hello people from the modelling world.

My next project will probably be a racing game along the lines of 'stunt car racer', you basically race along roller-coaster like tracks.

I am not a modeller, although I have created a program which will create the tracks for me. I have solutions for terrains/physics and a few other things in place.

What I need is a cool looking dune buggy, I will pay for any models I need. I have not found any model packs containing dune buggies and it's probably not cost effective to commission a custom model.

I have been looking on turbo squid:
Dune buggies

Some models are really high poly(too high), some are textured, some have materials etc and and I am a little bamboozled.

1. Why don't all models come with textures, some are quite expensive and don't have any textures. Am I supposed to texture it myself or does this kind of model not need textures? Perhaps materials and some reflective shaders and I will have a good looking dune buggy?

2. Is it easy to lower the poly count if you have the tool it was created in? How much work is that?

3. Do all these programs max, 3ds, ma export to obj format(x would be good too)?

4. Can anyone here download that free model(by orillianbeta), lower the poly count and export to obj(or x)? I know this may be a lot of work, but it might not, just knowing it's possible would be cool.

Thanks for any input. It's probably obvious that I will probably need a modeller to help with all this stuff if the game gets to that point. But for now a few pointers would be of great help, thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, which one of those models in that link do you think is the best, assuming I am looking to make a professional looking game?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 19:50 Edited at: 22nd May 2012 19:51
This one looks good for your project. Only $3....

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/buggy-uv-3d-model/652916

.obj is easy to convert into anything else.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 20:06 Edited at: 22nd May 2012 20:08
Quote: "This one looks good for your project. Only $3....

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/buggy-uv-3d-model/652916

.obj is easy to convert into anything else."

I have to disagree. 2600 polys and muddy texture.

Unfortunately none of the models are optimized for games. The one you like is also way too high poly and wouldn't be worth the effort to optimized. You may have to contract an artist.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 23:34
model wise it is good though, better texture would be needed for the price though..

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 16:42
Thanks for the info people.

I don't know why but I always presumed these expensive modelling programs would have a 'reduce poly' feature which would do all the hard work for you.

So, without a modeller on board, my best options are models in the correct format and around the correct poly count.

What about this one:

obj dune buggy

Seems good to me but you may spot something I have not

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
90000 polygons is too many.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 19:16
I have a half finished buggy on my back burner, if I have time this week Ill try and finish it.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 20:54
Quote: "I don't know why but I always presumed these expensive modelling programs would have a 'reduce poly' feature which would do all the hard work for you."

they do, but they may very well break the whole model (take away important polygons). they make it easier - to some degree, but I think building a new one would be far better

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 21:22
Quote: "90000 polygons is too many."

I'm not so sure, ideally I would have 90000, 30000 and perhaps 10000 of the same model, I also have imposter system which will reduce it to 2 eventually.

The game might only be 1v1, perhaps more, not decided yet.

Quote: "I have a half finished buggy on my back burner, if I have time this week Ill try and finish it."

Thanks a lot Josh. You should not go out of your way for this though until I have something to show, I would feel really bad if you put a lot of effort and then nothing ever became of my game.

Hopefully I will have a WIP up when I make some progress.

In case you do some work on it, the game will need 1st person view, it might even be first person only, so good detail from inside the buggy will probably be necessary.

Quote: "they do, but they may very well break the whole model (take away important polygons). they make it easier - to some degree, but I think building a new one would be far better"

I understand. If you needed 3 different versions with different poly counts would you build low poly first and then add detail for the high poly ones? Since lowering polys can cause problems as you stated.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 00:39
Quote: "I understand. If you needed 3 different versions with different poly counts would you build low poly first and then add detail for the high poly ones? Since lowering polys can cause problems as you stated."

Either that, or build a highpoly and than make a new model - around the highpoly. using the highpoly as a realtime 3d reference

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 27th May 2012 04:24
I will create you a dune buggy my friend,low poly and all,do you have any refrence pictures you would like your buggy to look like?

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 13:15 Edited at: 27th May 2012 13:18
Quote: "I will create you a dune buggy my friend,low poly and all,do you have any refrence pictures you would like your buggy to look like?"

That would be great.

I am not too concerned about the overall design, it's more the level of detail that's important. I want to try to make a real good looking game, so I would need a high poly version and then another 2-3 low poly versions. The low poly versions will only be viewed at a distance so they don't need to look good at close range.

I have a buggy here:

I seen it on youtube and the author sent it over for me, I like it but it's too low in detail close up, you can try it out on the Dark Dynamix product page:

Dynamix buggy demo

I also like some of those on turbosquid, I was thinking about buying this:

obj-dune-buggy

It's very cheap so worth the risk, perhaps you might be able to help me with lower poly versions?

The more options I have the better, it's impossible to have too many options so any help of anyone is appreciated.

Just to clarify a few things:
1. Need high poly version with at least another two lower poly versions.
2. Wheels need to come off for physics simulation, would be useful if other things could come off too, eg if engine is at the rear it should be hidden for first person view to save polys.
3. Needs to be in obj or x format.
4. Could have moving moving parts to add realism, but not animated, the parts would just be separate meshes/limbs that I would spin(or whatever) using code or physics joints etc.

It's a lot to ask and I was not really expecting a large amount of help at this early stage, but any help is welcomed and will motivate me more for this project, thanks

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 14:40
@Daniel - Thanks for your kind offer but I'm not sure I could use anything you provide. There is a little bit of a question mark over the models you have posted on this board as your own work.

Feel free to clear up this issue here if you like, I'm sorry if this seems ungrateful as you made me a very kind offer which I appreciate very much.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 27th May 2012 20:20
@Matty H

Quote: "There is a little bit of a question mark over the models you have posted on this board "

Ok, well, It was a free gift to you,I was going to make a video of me creating them also,but if you dont want it,ok.have a good day.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Eccentric Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
For those models that have too many polygons...

Throw 'em into Blender and use the DECIMATE filter on the individual parts of the model. The decimate tool can reduce poly counts without losing too much detail; I use it all the time!
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 14:18 Edited at: 5th Jun 2012 14:20
cosmic prophet did a dune buggy for the wastelanders-modelpack for FPSC. look here (page4, down to 2/3 of the page):

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=175893&b=24&p=3

pack costs around 15€, but i dont think the buggy is animated (wheels, steerage)

just for info.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 17:59
Quote: "For those models that have too many polygons...

Throw 'em into Blender and use the DECIMATE filter on the individual parts of the model. The decimate tool can reduce poly counts without losing too much detail; I use it all the time!"

Good to know, thanks. I may have a look at that myself since blender is free.

@maho76 - Thanks, I never knew about that. Although the model looks very low poly for my needs.

I will post back if I make progress on finding a suitable model, there is still one on turbo squid I will probably buy when I get some free time to play with it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 11:39:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 11:39:35