Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I need help deciding which TGC programs to buy from a list of products I have compiled. Assistance apreciated

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 02:02
I have compiled a rather large list of TGC programs which interest me greatly. However, reviewing the list, I'm not sure if they are all really necessary. The list is as follows:

Dark Basic Professional
Hands on DB Pro Vol. 1
Hands on DB Pro Vol. 2
Dark GDK
Dark Dynamix
Dark Imposters
Dark Physics
Dark A.I.
Dark Clouds
Dark Shader
Dark Lights
Dark Net
Dark Video
Dark Data
Dark Source
Dark Voices
Blitzwerks Terrain
Box 2D
Tree Party
Enhanced Animations
2D Plugin Kit
Texture Max
STYX
Unity
EZ Rotate
Enhancement Pack
Nuclear Glory
Plant Life
Realm Crafter
Leadworks Game Engine
Leadworks Terrain Textures 1
Smart Packer Pro
3D World Studio Builder Edition
Cloudwright
AC3D
FPSC Creator
20,000 TGC Points

Are all of these programs really necessary? For example, I have 4 terrain generation engines in my cart because they all seem to be unique. Is there anyone of the four that is superior and can complete all of the functions of the other 3? I'm looking to do everything necessary to develop my own indie games by myself, so I need modeling, animations, terrain, etc. Is there a smaller number of programs from the above list that can do everything I need?

Dark Game Dynamo
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 16:22
start with dark basic pro native and then buy they addons as you have a need for them.

if you get the game studio bonanza then you will get a decent selection of these products in one hit for a cheap price.

for terrain, I choose blitz terrain because it is versatile and powerful. but for my first half year learning dark basic I got by fine using a matrix.

I like dark clouds, if you have dark clouds you dont need cloudwrite. cloudwrite makes skyboxes, dark clouds creates animated sky on the backdrop and looks very cool.(though it is system heavy.)

It really is best to wait until you actually need a plugin before buying it, if you get one by one then you can familiarize yourself with the commands. if you get them all at once then there is a mountain load of commands to learn at once.

start with native and see what you can do with it.
check out the free third party dlls. some of them are awesome.
my picks are...

sparks collision - awesome collision for game world
sparks particles - awesome particle effects
matrix1 utilities - too vast to explain in a sentence, must have plugin
2Dimagekit - extremely useful image manipulating
d3d - greatly improved 2d drawing commands
wlgfx's perlin noise plugin(great for terrains)
bbbgui - great for gui's

for modelling I like ac3d. many prefer blender. blender is free and is extremely powerful. it is the only cheap option for flexible animation. and by all accounts, once you can use it you will never look back. did i mention its free?

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Nicholas Finney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 16:35 Edited at: 23rd May 2012 23:32
@Kezzla: Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm glad I thought to post about this before buying everything...

Edit: I have another question. I was looking at the Dark Game Studio Bonanza, and when I click on Dark Game Studio it sends me to a page containing a list of products, half of which seem to be listed in the Bonanza and half aren't. What exactly does the Dark Game Studio Bonanza contain?

Dark Game Dynamo
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 01:02
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2125&page=bonanza

there's a list on the linked page. This is well and truly enough products to get you started.

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 09:15:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 09:15:03