Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Boned ragdoll example - try it!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 17:08
I have attached an exe for you to play with. You can also use the mouse cursor to throw the character around.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 18:02
Great work mate. Joint constraints all seemed to make sense (I remember Dark Physics joint constraints not working on rag dolls), and it all looked pretty sweet. I spent my time hitting the rag doll button then quickly dragging some force onto a limb to simulate a gun shot. Looks great!

My only question is, will we have control over how quickly the ragdoll sleeps? After he was pretty much stationary, he carried on jiggling and never stopped.

Looks awesome though. Looking forward to trying this.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 18:37
Quote: "My only question is, will we have control over how quickly the ragdoll sleeps? After he was pretty much stationary, he carried on jiggling and never stopped. "

I have only seen that happen on very few occasions, you can limit this on set up, I thought I had a good balance but perhaps it could be improved.

You can put it to sleep at any time.

I have played around with applying forces to the head to simulate head shots and it looks pretty good

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 18:55
Quote: "I have only seen that happen on very few occasions, you can limit this on set up, I thought I had a good balance but perhaps it could be improved."

It wouldn't surprise me if it was fine on your machine and jiggly on mine, such is the randomness of physics simulations. I'd probably just loop through all the limbs and check their angular/linear speeds, and when they were low enough, sleep it. So as long as there is a sleep command, I can't see any problem.

Again, looks great.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Works fine here. Sometimes it jitters, but usually it comes to a full stop quite fast. I like it.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 04:34
Very cool!

The rag doll seems to stiffen up on the last animation frame. I'm sure we will be able to make the bones loosen up to fall with gravity, right?

ExoDev.Com - A Game Development Tools Website! Featuring: XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 15:09
In this example I create the joints just before it goes into a ragdoll and I don't give a lot of flexibility in the joints. This has the effect of the character seeming to keep the pose he was in but go limp at the same time, I quite like this effect although it was done like this to save time.

There is an unlimited amount of ways to set the joints up so almost anything is possible.

tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 01:14
This is really entertaining!

Thanks .

-Tokyomage

[image]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9967/scp450sig.png[/image]
Did you know that water is wet? - "The more you know"
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 06:40 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 07:07
I just finally downloaded the latest version of DD. I ran the boned ragdoll example and notice two things:

1) I can not do the mouse pick. I left and right clicked on the ragdoll and I can't grab it. I even put the example in exclusive fullscreen mode and it didn't work.

2) When I Press 'space' for debug, the soldier model just simply disappears, but comes back when I release the space bar.

I'm running on Vista 64Bit - GeForce GTX 560 Ti with latest 301.42 drivers.

-------------

EDIT: NM, I had to also include the PhysX Constants File also (ie: I had to make my own boned ragdoll project, so I didn't know ). It works now.

ExoDev.Com - A Game Development Tools Website! Featuring: XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 00:22
i get an error

a file is missing

cudart32_30_9.dll

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 00:42
Sorry, attached

Attachments