Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / huge 3d city tiles map, howto hide/unhide the tiles in pieces/segments?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 21:18
okay i tried a few things first:
1. all the tile objects loaded = 4800 polygons in view and 24fps
2. occlusion culling = 600 polygons and 120 fps max
3. map as whole mesh = 121k polygons and 0 fps

above objects are just boxes/plaines, for testing purposes, not yet the art city tiles, with more polygons. backface culling was on, on all the tests.

they are all separated boxes/tiles because its a random generated city. every city is different at startup.

you should say use option 2. but the occlusion culling makes the performance pretty slow. so iam winning fps and less polygons in view, but its slow in unhiding the objects.

so i thought on a selfmade system, for hiding and unhiding objects on the camera position. this would be fast and dont need a external dll/plugin.
so you have the camera and only a few blocks around the camera are unhide, rest of the world is hidden.

would this be a good system? or a flaw?

i tried myself the above system, but couldnt expand it to a (2D) multidimension array:

so my questions for you all are:

1. can above code to be expanded to a 2D array?
2. what is the best system for hiding/unhiding the tiles?
3. does really hiding objects makes the engine/fps go faster?
4. are there other ways for improving the fps?
5. if i hide objects would the physics still be applyed on hidden objects?
6. are there some lecture about generating random city maps?

question number 4 is because its not just a city, its a race game so ill need to race in it with proper physics.
and need shaders, and multiplayer, and and and... so with this all could it be possible anyway to get a decent framerate?
or am i the only crazy one who tries to pull this off in dbpro?

i really appreciate all your thoughts.
T4r4ntul4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 00:45
nobody?

someone knows the answer on one of the six questions i suppose, dont be shy =)
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 21:09
Here's my general answer, amalgamating the questions into one:

You can check out Dark Occlusion, if you need occlusion culling. You can also check out useful DBPro commands like EXCLUDE OBJECT ON, etc. One thing I can say is the best way to go about map-generation is to trick the eye as much as you can with good textures to reduce your polycount further (It's amazing how many "details" are actually flat images). You can sometimes get away with a lot like this, especially in a racing game where you can limit the proximity of the player to environmental entities. Also consider that 100fps is already way above necessary. 60fps is what to aim for. Apart from that, not much I can say. Here's a map generator I wrote as an example some time ago:

The performance isn't good coz it's actually more for illustrating the maze generation. I used a 2D array in this example. Hope it's of some use.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 12:50:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 12:50:37