Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK 2.0 RC3 is now available

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
RC3 is out! Thank you for your comments and bug reports. Keep them coming.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196865&b=22

Quote: "
DarkGDK 2.0 Release Candidate 3
-------------------
Bug fixes:
- The installer now correctly copies the headers for InitDarkGDK to the application data path as expected.
- Renamed dbLightExist to dbIsLight to be consistent with the other command renaming in beta 7.
- Fixed a bug where dbSetCameraToImage was using the wrong function export.
- tgcauth.exe will now unhide the fields to allow you to license another plugin when clicking on the 'back' button.
- dbSetCameraToImage is now correctly evaluating its 'D3DFormat' parameter.
- Added missing command SC_Start to (Sparky's) DBP Collision plugin.
- Fixed a bug where dbPlayObject and dbLoopObject were evaluating an internal check on every call which should only have been done once.

Updates:
- Added include guards to simpleWindow.h and split simpleWindow.h and initDarkGDK.h definitions into their respective .cpp files. C++ users, update your projects accordingly by adding initDarkGDK.cpp and simpleWindow.cpp along with the updated headers.
- Updated documentation help entry for dbKeyState with the updated url from MSDN; also fixed the link so that it is now clickable.
- Renamed dbSetGlobalObjectCreationMode to dbSetObjectCreationFlags, modified its acceptable values, and clarified the documentation regarding its behavior. Please update your code accordingly.
- Added icons to various files."

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you looked into the DBO loading error? Or is dbo not supported by DarkGDK 2.0?

Nice to hear those bugs are fixed! Good job so far!

Cheers,

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 17:31 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 17:31
Quote: " Have you looked into the DBO loading error? Or is dbo not supported by DarkGDK 2.0?"

It's difficult to examine a bug like this without some example code.

Also, did you see in the documentation that the parameters for this function have changed?

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 17:42 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 18:24
If you try to load "any" .dbo file format with dbLoadObject it will fail. I have double tripple checked the documentation four times.

EDIT: It worx now, sorry for wasting your time. Thanks for the update!

Cheers,

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 18:10 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 19:01
you might wanna add an uninstall option
so the files wont get confused ...

downloading it now hope it will be better then before.

edit: found an uninstaller at the DarkGDK path.

2nd edit: got collision working , ty matt.

but i do have one question , what is the time period for this release?
how long can i use it?

3rd edit:
also in the new cpp files
you wrote

and it should be

the first method gives an error
cause it search the h files in the wrong directory.
ravensan
Years of Service
User Offline
the install issues I had with RC2 have apparently been fix. Thanks!

And is there any documentation or the like on "builddocs.exe" ? It's still telling me I don't have a hard drive...

"imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstien.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jun 2012 15:59
still strugling with dbScrollObjectTexture

i see that the new version accept only integers
which is diffrent from darkGDK 1.0 where it uses floats

i tried

dbScrollObjectTexture(id,+1,0,0); but it dosent work

also tried

int cf = 0; at startup

then

but that also dosent work.. wondering what am i doing wrong or is this a bug..
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@haliop: Shouldn't the dbScrollObjectTexture command be called once at startup to activate the scroll, thus not in a loop. I believe I heard that somewhere.

Cheers,

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2012 22:17
@Mistrel
Is DarkGDK 2.0 still using the same code-base as DBPro for the core DLLs?

Also, the "Basic3DDebug.dll" that comes with DarkGDK takes one or two integers and two floats as arguments (check the string table or decorated function name), but the entry in 3D.gdt for it accepts four integers.

[b]
Prextel
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded the beta, but I do have a few questions:

1) Is there a limit on how long this beta version will work? I recall there being some disagreements on how this thing should be distributed, whether it should be free or paid, ect.

2) I noticed haliop's queries above, regarding how functions differ in DGDK2.0 - Are there differences from DGDK1.0 that defy the functionality of previous versions?

3) Is the cake REALLY a lie?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I noticed haliop's queries above, regarding how functions differ in DGDK2.0 - Are there differences from DGDK1.0 that defy the functionality of previous versions?"

Yes. The behavior of some command's parameters is completely different. Namely dbKeyState() accepting virtual-key codes instead of scancodes and vector/matrix commands accepting pointers instead of IDs.

Any command where you would normally create something has had the "ID" portion moved to the end of the parameter list and is now optional. If you do not specify an ID then one will be created for you an returned as the result of the function call.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 00:51
I wonder why did you make it impossible to check DarkGDK's price on www.darkgdk.com after clicking purchase without logging in?

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 02:59
I'm guessing you missed my post?

Quote: "@Mistrel
Is DarkGDK 2.0 still using the same code-base as DBPro for the core DLLs?

Also, the "Basic3DDebug.dll" that comes with DarkGDK takes one or two integers and two floats as arguments (check the string table or decorated function name), but the entry in 3D.gdt for it accepts four integers."

[b]
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure why this uses integers instead of floats. I've corrected this for RC4.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 09:44 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 09:46
keep it up matt! we cannot wait for the final release.
Quote: "@haliop: Shouldn't the dbScrollObjectTexture command be called once at startup to activate the scroll, thus not in a loop. I believe I heard that somewhere."

red eye , i want it to always scroll a tiny bit in each loop cycle.
so it will give a "moving" feeling
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 10:07
also sometimes i get a brake point here

most of the time it runs good but from time to time it brakes there.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 10:58 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 11:04
@haliop: What I mean, that if you activate it at the start, you don't need to call it every loop, as it will scroll the texture when Sync is called. But then again, I just heard that on some thread, haven't test it for myself.

@haliop: I get a breakpoint anywhere whenever DarkGDK2.0 looses focus for too long.

Cheers,

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 13:00 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 13:01
@Mistrel:

When licensing multiple plugins in a row every time I click the 'Back' button instead of my email address it says 'Order Key'. It would be great if it could retain the email address in that field. Additionally, tabbing order is wrong (tabbing out of email field focus jumps to 'Finish' button). A trifle but yet could be a nice improvement to speeden up the licensing. Thanks.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mistrel:

DarkLights has some undocumented commands only mentioned in "Dark Lights Changes.txt" file located in the licensed plugins folder. Here they are:

Quote: "New Commands:
LM Set Light Map File Format <mode> (0=png, 1=dds, 2=bmp)
LM Set Light Map Folder <folder>
LM Set Verbose <mode> (0=don't display warnings, 1=display warnings)

Additional/Modified Parameters (marked with *):
LM Build Light Maps <texture size>, <quality>, <blur radius>, <*num threads> - does light mapping across multiple threads, does not return until complete
LM Build Light Maps Thread <texture size>, <quality>, <blur radius>, <*num threads> - does light mapping across multiple threads, returns immediately to allow status checking with LM Get Complete()
LM Add Light Map Object <obj>, <basestage>, <dyn light mode>, <*flat shaded> - allows forcing of flat shading on objects
LM Add Shaded Light Map Object <obj>, <LMstage>, <*flat shaded> - allows forcing of flat shading on objects

Notes:
The lightmapper now supports multi-material objects (more than one texture per limb)
Additional threading and format commands opened up (added for FPSC X10)"

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 14:12 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 17:37
@Mistrel:

Sorry for all the posts but here's another one.

First of all you should mention that core commands like:

Quote: "dbSetShadowShadingOn
dbSetRainbowShadingOn
dbSetCartoonShadingOn
dbSetBumpMappingOn
dbSetScreenEffect
dbTextureScreen"

require external FX files from original DBPro placed somewhere near the binary. I could only find them in the examples folder, guess it's not really obvious for a novice to locate them.

Secondly I was not able to activate shader based flavour of dbSetShadowShadingOn() it kept crashing on me whenever I set the shader flag to 1 (shader files where included). Could you please test this for next RC.

Very much appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 14:28 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 14:35
Quote: "you should mention that core commands like .. require external FX files from original DBPro placed somewhere near the binary."

The whole effects folder seems to have disappeared. These files are normally built into the engine from this path. I've fixed this for the next RC.

Quote: "I was not able to activate shader based flavour of dbSetShadowShadingOn() it kept crashing on me whenever I set the shader flag to 1 (shader files where included)."

I reported this a while ago, actually:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187876&b=15

IanM is already working on this bug for 7.7. I'm not yet prepared to jump into fixing inherited bugs unless it is very easy to do so until after the beta.

I will look into the other issues you mentioned.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The whole effects folder seems to have disappeared. These files are normally built into the engine from this path. I've fixed this for the next RC."

Great, so we won't have to supply them as they are already "baked" into the GDK dll?

By the way can I use your DGDK banner in my signature as well? I feel we need greater exposure for these RCs.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 15:40 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 15:41
I have been getting an awfull alot of memory leaks using this example:

This the log:

Cheers,

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 16:07 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 16:16
Quote: "Great, so we won't have to supply them as they are already "baked" into the GDK dll?"

Correct. This directory was most likely deleted accidentally during the restructuring between RC1 and RC2.

Quote: "By the way can I use your DGDK banner in my signature as well? I feel we need greater exposure for these RCs."

Of course. Go ahead.

Quote: "I have been getting an awfull alot of memory leaks using this example"

It's not leaking memory unless it's leaking memory at runtime. Checking for memory leaks at the end of your application does not provide a whole lot of useful information. Instead you should look for memory leaks while the application is running. Otherwise all you've found is memory that wasn't deallocated before the process terminated (which isn't important anyways).

See here:

That Old New Thing: Exiting is one of the scariest moments in the lifetime of a process

Quote: "The kernel will close all your open handles to kernel objects. Any memory you allocated will be freed automatically when the process's address space is torn down. Just let the process die a quiet death."

The only way to provide a perfectly clean shutdown would be for me to give you a function where DarkGDK will go and tear everything down and free all of its memory for you; which probably suggests you're planning on terminating the process. At which point why even bother..

The function dbCloseScreen() is provided to prevent a possible crash-on-exit race condition due to the way DarkGDK attaches to a window with dbOpenScreen(). That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, I always make sure that everything that is allocated is deallocated, thought that would be important. But thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
If your program is running and its memory usage keeps going up and up and up according to Task Manager THEN you have a leak. Otherwise, no leak.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 18:30
Found a couple of bugs with the example projects:
- The example projects (at least for VS2010) have "initDarkGDK.cpp" and "simpleWindow.cpp" marked as include files rather than code files, so they don't get compiled causing linker errors.

- The example programs crash on exit (both the pre-compiled versions and when I compile them myself) regardless of whether pressing escape or closing the window with messages such as "Unhandled exception at 0x0efb4e7c in terrain_basic.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x10889004.". The stack trace shows that "dbprobasic3ddebug.dll" is being called by the exit handler, and the crash is coming from some deeper level.

[b]
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 18:35 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 18:37
Quote: "examples\projects\purebasic\plugins\dark-ai\ai-demo.pb: Line 59: Syntax error.
examples\projects\purebasic\plugins\dark-lights\lights-demo.pb: Line 143: Syntax error."

dbCloseScreen has missing brackets.

Quote: "Search "#kGDK_Default" (3 hits in 2 files)
D:\Software\DarkGDK\System\examples\projects\purebasic\plugins\dark-clouds\sky-demo.pb (1 hits)
Line 60: dbLoadObject("pelican.dbo",0,#kGDK_Default,1)
D:\Software\DarkGDK\System\examples\projects\purebasic\plugins\dark-physics\physics-demo.pb (2 hits)
Line 254: dbLoadObject("skybox.x",0,#kGDK_Default,3)
Line 266: dbLoadObject("Wood\physXcrate.X",0,#kGDK_Default,1)"

Missing constant #kGDK_Default. Well at least it's not recognised on my system.

Quote: "examples\projects\purebasic\plugins\dark-physics\physics-demo.pb: Line 54: dbSprite() is not a function, array, macro or linked list."

Thanks!

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0
ravensan
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had some problems with the buildDocs.exe telling me "There is no disk in the drive. please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk2\dr2." and repeats the message twice before the program exits.

After thinking on it for a while, I do not have IDE harddrives. They are SATA. So could that be an issue?

Also, at least the parts of the GDK I have used so far haven't seemed to cause any issues after recoding some of my old projects...

Thanks for the great work.

"imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstien.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've had some problems with the buildDocs.exe telling me "There is no disk in the drive. please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk2\dr2." and repeats the message twice before the program exits."

The builddocs tool is provided as-is during the beta. It is undocumented and is a low-priority. Don't worry about it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:46:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:46:02