Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [x9] Darkness Descending

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 21:32 Edited at: 17th Jun 2012 16:17
So I've decided to return to FPSC after a few years, and I'm having fun

Plot: The story is still a WIP, but it revolves around you being an investigator and searching for clues about mysterious cases of the hotel residents. I don't plan on making this a very big game, but who knows, maybe I'll expand it to multiple levels. But for now, the game takes place in an abandoned ghostly hotel.

Gameplay:This game is a horror/mystery game. There will be some action in this game, but it won't revolve around you killing monsters. Instead, it's more about the exploration and revelation of info as you search around the hotel.

Some screenshots:

This is the main "central" area of the hotel. It is actually a pretty big level, and there will be many explorable rooms and areas.

Some more shots of the central area:

Corridors: (These will each contain a few explorable rooms)

And a shot of one of the hotel rooms: (These will look similar, but I plan on including different articles, items, notes, etc)

This isn't the full level, but I would like to know what you guys think. I haven't used FPSC in maybe two years, so forgive me if it's not on par with all the other amazing projects out there.

Update: 1-Level Demo Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?uu0uagw6igpyn9r

-Adrian
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Lighting is good, I do feel that the rooms could be a little smaller so they feel a lot more detailed, unless you intend to have some sort of firefight in there you can reduce the scale. Most hotel rooms are pretty small and claustrophobic unless its the penthouse then you can go overboard.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 01:17
Thanks for the feedback rolfy Many people have probably asked this already, but where can I find a script which involves you pressing a key which then pops up an image on the screen? I remember there was one somewhere, but I forgot where...
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 06:41 Edited at: 8th Jun 2012 06:43
Some more screenshots:

Anyone?

-Adrian
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 06:54
So uh... no one?
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 15:59
atmo is quit good, also lightning. would be interesting with life in it, so characters (if there are) and the illusion that these are not empty speculation objects. newspapers, people, garbage, etc.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 20:07
The lighting in the last 3 screens are looking quite dark, but maybe it's just me, but they look like they might just work well with the scene. Darkness in also other earlier screens. The darkness IMO works better in outside scenes than inside scenes, I don't know why, but they just seem to do so.

Anyways, this is looking quite good!

AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 09:40 Edited at: 15th Jun 2012 09:45
Thanks guys! Yeah, a lot of the time you don't see much, but it's more than enough to find your way.
First level is done, just gonna polish it a bit for a day, and then release it as a demo. I'm gonna add more details, items to investigate, etc. But this level is almost reaching its size limit, looks like I'll have to split it up...

I'll need opinions whether to make this a short 2-3 level game or a longer one.

However, each level should be fairly long considering you don't blaze through the whole thing. Maybe 15-30 minutes, since there's a lot to explore (as the levels are fairly large in size).

-Adrian
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 06:33
Ah the good old FPSC design aesthetic oozes out of these screens!!

Looking forward to how you incorporate stuff into the 2-3 levels which you have planned out! '

I would just recommend you to make it as polished as possible, without taking the playtime into account. You'll see how well this turns out!

By the way, which part of Ontario are you in? I just moved to Whitby!

Abdul Ahad

AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 16:02 Edited at: 17th Jun 2012 17:10
Thanks guys! And AbdulAhad: I live in Scarborough. That's cool! We're not too far away

Anyways, I've revamped the level by a ton. Here's an update:

You can view more on my photobucket album.

And I've finally managed to pretty much "finish" the first level! Please download it and give it a try. It's about 180mb compressed to 50mb for a smaller download.

Demo Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?uu0uagw6igpyn9r

-Adrian
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 03:42
I give you some input on that one soon Adriano

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 04:51
Thanks a lot Wolf! I always appreciate it when someone with skills like yours give input. Always helps me get better

-Adrian
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 21:36 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 00:31
Alright! I gave it a play and I'll give you a quick rehash:

Its a very big level without lagging (I had a few slowdowns though) and you gave it a bunch of legit attempts to make it look scary and abandoned. I also like the fact that you add textmessages even though they are mostly a bit wierd or out of place.

If you add textmessages like this. You need to ask you the following questions every single time:

Who is my character and how would he react to this at this very moment?

Would a message like this make sense or is it even necessary?

What would I, personally, think in this moment and how does my reaction differ from the one of my character?

I noticed a lot of messages that where a bit clumsy or wierd but this one really stood out to me: You enter a room and comment that a skeleton sitting there must be an old victim as there isn't any flesh left (which is obvious btw... even though there is a fresh red bloodpool below) however, in the same room there is a bottle of wine to which the character suggests that "someone must have been drinking". Thats a bit out of place there.

The level design isnt horribly bad but I never got a feeling that I'm in a hotel. If your imagination is not that strong you might want to look up some images on google first. (just type in hotel lobby or hotel floor) and work from there. If you enter the hotel you get a lot of scattered desks,becnhes and metal lockers...which don't make any sense in this setting whatsoever.

What you need is a check-in counter. Maybe some chairs and couches... a bit of old luggage and some decorative furniture.

There is also a set of glowing fluorescent tubes on the floor...how do these lights get powered if they fell from the ceiling without any visible cord?

The lightmapping has 2 gears: VERY BRIGHT and PITCH BLACK. Especially the entrance hall would be much more effective if it would be lit entirely but in darker colors.

Also: why is there a world war 2 radio set in an hotel lobby? Just because you have some models doesnt mean you should use them.

Okay, thats enough criticism on the leveldesign for one post
Lets get to some other things:

The Gameplay: There is none. You dont investigate anything. In fact, all messages are displayed automatically if you approach something and even if there are some interactive objects like a secret button behind a bust and a hidden passage way behind a wardrobe... the game flatout tells you to use it. So there is no sense of gameplay or exploration.

The sounddesign: I think you might have gotten some of the whispering and breathing sound ideas from my game (might be mistaken as its not exactly and innovative idea). But you might want to add some echo or put some extra work in these sounds as they are too "in your face" and "out of nowhere" for a realistic setting. This works in a fantasy realm like in "Euthanasia" but if you want to have heavy unnatural breathing in a real world, you must add some echo and make the sound less loud to suggest that its source is somewhere behind a dark corridor or similar.

Another golden rule: never add a completely empty room just to shove dead bodys in it. That just feels lazy

Well, you got some good ideas and its certainly already a very decent game. Keep it up and this might end up beind something good

-Wolf

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 15:55
I just played it for the first time.

Will make another 2 runs and give you a review then, I am also working on a script that does what you need

PS: did I miss out weapons/monsters or are there none? There is a boarded door but I found nothing to break it down with...

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 03:18
Thanks for the review Wolf. Yeah, I should work on fixing everything you said

The Storyteller 01: I couldn't find a way to implement combat in this level yet, so there are none as of now, at least. I was working on editing the script to do what I want but it didn't exactly work out as I wanted it to...

-Adrian
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 04:34 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 04:35
Here's a script that might beef exploration up a bit:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198128&b=23&p=0
Review is pending, I just wanted to be sure I haven't overlooked the monsters

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2012 19:09
Thanks for the crit guys, I'm currently doing a big polish for my level for all the flaws you guys mentioned. If I'm not lazy, I should be done by tomorrow or the day after.

-Adrian

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:08:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:08:39