Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkGAME Studio has enticed me; have questions!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, guys.

I started to learn DarkBASIC Pro when I was a kid (about 10 years ago), but didn't get far. Now I'm thinking about getting back into it after finding the DarkGAME Studio pack on offer, and I have a few queries:

-after I install and update everything, should I start coding in DarkBASIC Professional, or just use DarkGDK? What are the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of coding in either one?

-is it possible to use eXtends in Windows 7 in XP Compatibility Mode or something? (I know so little about computers, forgive my ignorance.)

-what would be the absolute best tutorials for me to start with, and in what order?

I have also been studying maths and science on the side in preparation for higher education, so I'm hoping that what I've learned can be applied to this.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, and I apologise if I have disregarded any noobie etiquette!
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 01:30
i believe you have to know some c+ to use DarkGDK. so if you know it you can use it.

i do not believe extends will run on windows 7 even in xp mode.

look in the new comers to dark basic pro board. there are many pinned topics containing basic tutorials. Dan Foreman just released more video tutorials and they're worth watching.....

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 11:25
If you don't have very much experience in programming I'd stick to dark basic for now. It lets you concentrate a lot more on actual game development instead of why things like initializing direct x and whatnot aren't working

The fastfood zombie killer
Daziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your answers. That is a shame about eXtends, those features look like fun to use. And I will be sticking to DBP. So does Dark GDK basically let you use DarkBASIC code alongside C++? To offer more flexibility?
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 11:21
Quote: "So does Dark GDK basically let you use DarkBASIC code alongside C++? To offer more flexibility?"

It's been a while since I've touched DarkGDK but here's what the differences look like in essence:

DBP:

DGDK:

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 13:41 Edited at: 6th Jun 2012 13:51
Quote: "I have also been studying maths and science on the side in preparation for higher education, so I'm hoping that what I've learned can be applied to this."

;D
Check my code snippets posts.

C++ is a great language but it's difficult to learn. There are so many things you have to know, about namespaces, constructors, destructors, programming practices, polymorphism, and inheritance just to name a few. Of course you can program in the language without knowing all of these things, but that's essentially treating C++ as if it were C (that's really what hodgey's code does). I learned DBPro then java, THEN C++. The linker/compiler setup alone is enough reason to avoid it for now. I'd stick to basic!

[edit]
And if you want any advice on math/science, e-mail me! two things before I go:
1) If you haven't, learn calculus! The basics aren't as hard as you might think and it's necessary for physics.
2) Book recommendations: Math - Velleman's "How To Prove It", Physics - MIT Introductory Physics Series.

Daziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 17:22 Edited at: 6th Jun 2012 18:03
Okay, so DBP looks delightfully simple. I'll mess about with DGDK if I ever give myself the time to delve deeper into other areas of programming.

Neuro, those snippets look great! I was going to do something simpler in DarkBASIC myself, like make small programs to demonstrate forces, reactions, replication, etc. I shall enjoy tinkering around with your work.

I'm glad I have a contact in you, too. :3 I plan on going back to college and getting 4 A Levels, so the more help, the better. I've been reading through the Collins Advanced Science series in preparation just to get myself familiar with the concepts, as well as YouTubing lectures and what-have-you. I have sort of picked up bits 'n' pieces of calculus out of sheer necessity, but I will dedicate more time to it soon. Working my way through a Maths textbook at the moment, but I will definitely check out your recommendations when I get chance. Cheers!

Edit: before I forget, is there any way to create basic sounds in DBP? Such as beeps, or tones. Or is there any way to manipulate sound, such as adjusting the frequency?
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
There is, but you have to create them manually using memblocks. The documentation for the "make image from memblock" and the "make sound from memblock" commands specify the structure of the data you need to put in to the memblocks. There have been a few posts about this in the past, this looks like a good jumping off point:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=49008&b=6

But yeah, the basic parts of calculus aren't as hard as people say they are. What's hard about calculus is the tediousness of making sure everything's written down correctly in your giant equation (integrals can really explode in length).

The math book I suggested is the first taste you get of "real math" (the kind of math that math majors do, and which all real math it built on), so by the end of it you'll be an expert on sizes of infinite sets and countability and what not. The physics series is an oldie-but-goody, and is still used today in some classes. I like it because the text derives almost everything. Also, the questions in it are great. From what I've seen of my community college's physics courses, the series definitely covers the material better

Epiphora
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Dalziel

This may be too simple for you but it is the best step by step guide I found for DB.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116567&b=7
Daziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 00:18 Edited at: 7th Jun 2012 14:39
Ahh, excellent! I just wanted to know if you could. Seems like a lot for me right now, but I might find a use for it somewhere down the line.

I still have yet to get to integration, differentiation, etc. I'm going over quadratic and polynomial functions at the mo. A lot to work through! But I want to learn calculus and maths skills purely for their utility. Then, when the times comes... I'll be ready.

I had better buy that book then -- I plan on doing Theoretical Physics at university (with games design as my 'Plan B'). I don't suppose you're aware of any good online resources as well?

All this ambition, but I want to make 2.5D sidescrolling platformers... Maybe I can have slightly impressive physics displays and functions going on in the background. 8D

EDIT: Thanks for linking me those tutorials, Epi. They'll come in handy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 10:37:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 10:37:02