Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK 2.0 RC4 is now available

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
RC4 is out! Thank you for your comments and bug reports. Keep them coming.

There have also been some minor adjustments to the website to correct a few glitches and improve user experience.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196865&b=22

Quote: "
DarkGDK 2.0 Release Candidate 4
-------------------
Bug fixes:
- Fixed various errors in the documentation and example projects regarding constants.
- Fixed a few syntax errors in the plugin example projects which caused them to throw an error.
- Fixed a project error that was causing Visual Studio 2010 projects to fail on compile since RC3.
- dbScrollObjectTexture was incorrectly passing integers where floats were expected.
- Restored the missing 'effects' folder with its shader files which created problems for a number of object appearance commands.

Updates:
- Removed legacy code which may have caused stability issues in some very rare situations.
- Made a few minor adjustments to the plugin authorization tool."

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2012 20:06 Edited at: 4th Jun 2012 21:32
Nice, the projects just work straight away now

A few issues still:
- I'm guessing this line in "initDarkGDK.cpp" is supposed to be static: "bool callOnce = false;"
- The following errors and warnings are generated when compiling the C++ language plugin and its support files with VC++ 10.0:

- Example programs still crash on exit.

gdkengine.dll also appears to be accessing some memory it shouldn't, but I haven't tracked it down yet. Normally this is simply ignored, but in cases where the program has stricter memory protection it causes an access violation.

edit:
I've tracked it down as far as I can. For some reason when calling InitDarkGDK() it is trying to call a null function pointer. There is some function called directly by InitDarkGDK() which passes a null function pointer to another function which calls it. I'm not sure why it's only showing up in this situation as the examples work fine... (Same gdkengine.dll)

[b]
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Diggsey, would you sign onto MSN to help me troubleshoot this crash on exit? I cannot duplicate it.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 02:19
I got the memory violation while running with two cameras and very fast FPS (sync rate 0). The debugger broke out to a call to fastsync I think.

Didn't have any problems other than that.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Where can I download and test this out ?
silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I noticed something strange for the rotation of the camera with the mouse.

the rotation of the camera with mouse in the GDK window stop when the mouse hit the border of the WINDOWS screen, so the rotation for the camera with mouse (like FPS) stop rotating.

in GDK 1.0 the rotation was not limited with the Screen border.
how I can do? Maybe a propriete in the command open window?

You can test the prob with sample GDK2.0 where camera rotating with mouse.

I hope you had understood me
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You can test the prob with sample GDK2.0 where camera rotating with mouse."

You have to centre the mouse in current window. So if the game window is active lock the mouse in the middle of it. Mouse outside the parent window will return either negative or greater than window size coordinates.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Website, main page:
Quote: "pixel and certex shader support"

And community page still links to PureGDK forum.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 13:56 Edited at: 5th Jun 2012 13:58
Fixed and fixed, Olby.

Quote: "in GDK 1.0 the rotation was not limited with the Screen border."

This is a feature. It allows you to continue to obtain a delta x and delta y even when the mouse passes the border of the screen.

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is a feature. It allows you to continue to obtain a delta x and delta y even when the mouse passes the border of the screen."

Ok, but what is this feature?

It's a GDK command or I must make it in C+
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 17:36 Edited at: 5th Jun 2012 17:37
Quote: "Ok, but what is this feature?"

Quote: "It allows you to continue to obtain a delta x and delta y even when the mouse passes the border of the screen."

Self-explanatory.

Quote: "It's a GDK command or I must make it in C+"

It's the way it works, you don't have to do anything else. If you want mouse to work same as in the GDK v1 then please use the method I mentioned earlier in this thread.

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's the way it works, you don't have to do anything else. If you want mouse to work same as in the GDK v1 then please use the method I mentioned earlier in this thread."

You say to set the Mouse in the center windows ok, but the mousse don't stay on the middle of th GDK screen, so, when the mouse hit the Border of the Windows Screen (and not the GDK window).

Try with the terrain-advanced SAMPLE, you can't make 3 turn view with the mouse in X coord. the camera stop to turn when mouse hit the border of WINDOWS screen.

Or, I don't understand what do you say..
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 19:20
You would do something like this:

You probably want to keep the mouse pointer hidden when doing this or only do it when say the right mouse button is held down or something. The idea is that you read the mouse movement and then re-position the cursor (in the middle of the screen makes sense as that gives you the biggest possible delta positions that you can detect movement of within a single frame).
The risk is that you manage to slit your cursor off-screen in a single frame, but that isn't very likely to happen unless you have a very low frame rate, a small window and / or a very high mouse speed.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 19:26 Edited at: 5th Jun 2012 19:27
A few more things before I forget:
- It would be nice if the installer read the install settings of a previous installation. At the moment every time I install I have to change the installation path, user data path, and type in my email address. The installer already has access to that information, so should fill it in for me. Also, I'm not sure if it does it already but you can pick up the DBPro installation directory from the registry too.

- The language plugin support files do alot of things that are non-standard and don't work in VC++, for example accessing the character after the end of a std::string throws an exception in VC++ whereas presumably your compiler allows it and returns 0.

[b]
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 19:43 Edited at: 5th Jun 2012 19:44
Quote: "You can pick up the DBPro installation directory from the registry too."

It does that for me so I suppose GDK setup reads the reg key properly.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 19:49
Quote: "It does that for me so I suppose GDK setup reads the reg key properly."

Do you have DBPro installed to a non-standard directory? I think it currently just defaults to "%PROGRAMFILES%\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional"

[b]
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
Sites down, anyone have a mirror?

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
The RC4 demos look promising and some of them are really fantastic. But some of them are not working/behaving correctly

Specially the basic3d-4 example. In some cases while pressing 1 - 7
the rock vanishes abruptly from the scene. I am using NVIDIA 9400 GT with latest drivers ..... hope my card is not that old for those effects to run properly.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do you have DBPro installed to a non-standard directory?"

Yes, I have it installed in:
Quote: "D:\Software\DarkBasic Professional\System"

And the setup finds it nicely.

Shyft
Years of Service
User Offline
I am getting the following errors since installing RC4. I am using the standard code for main that is in the tutorial.

I have run through multiple times to make sure I did not miss anything with the tutorial and every time I end up with this error:

Error 3 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl initDarkGDK(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >" (?initDarkGDK@@YA_NV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@0@Z) referenced in function _WinMain@16 E:\Dropbox\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\testgame\main.obj

Error 2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "struct HWND__ * __cdecl openWindow(int,int,int,int,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,int,bool)" (?openWindow@@YAPAUHWND__@@HHHHV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@H_N@Z) referenced in function _WinMain@16 E:\Dropbox\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\testgame\main.obj

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "unsigned int __cdecl windowEvent(void)" (?windowEvent@@YAIXZ) referenced in function _WinMain@16 E:\Dropbox\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\testgame\main.obj

thanks in advance

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 10:51
AWESOME DOWNLOADING NOW!

tnx matt.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 11:04
btw since 2.0 i get lower fps then 1.0
i do not understand why :/
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I am getting the following errors since installing RC4. I am using the standard code for main that is in the tutorial."

Since RC3 you now have to add initDarkGDK.cpp and simpleWindow.cpp. The documentation has not been updated yet to reflect this.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "btw since 2.0 i get lower fps then 1.0
i do not understand why :/"

@haliop: Are you sure about that ?
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 18:28 Edited at: 6th Jun 2012 18:30
Quote: "btw since 2.0 i get lower fps then 1.0
i do not understand why :/ "

Not sure what kind of code you're testing, but it has been done before and it shows that PureGDK/DarkGDK 2.0 is faster than DarkGDK v1.0.

Here, read this (PureGDK is now DarkGDK v2.0):

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=192633&b=5

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=192633&b=5"

DBPRO showing better FPS than Dark GDK !
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DBPRO showing better FPS than Dark GDK !"

A slight difference. This is due to the overhead that DarkGDK 2.0 has in addition to the engine itself. It's lighter weight than DarkGDK 1.0 but there may still be room for improvement.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 22:39
yes i am positive.
but it might be becouse im using a laptop
however the laptop specs:

i3 m350 2.27 GHZ

4 GB ram

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

BattleField Heroes for example runs very well everything on high with HD resolution.

however my laptop hears extremly fast so that might be the issue
i posted both on DarkGDK thread and the WIP thread
the current project im working on in order to test it on as much pcs i can , please help out and post the fps you getting.

the post is called Project M - Needs help.

when i used GDK 1.0 i got a stable 60 fps.
also i made some changes
instead of creating boxes and plains
i create One source Box and instance it trough out the enviorment
also did this to the barrel models, but still sometimes when i run it
it slows down to 40 fps which is really not playable especially if im aiming for a fast paste 3rd person shooter online.

if you have some spare minutes pls help out, this is crusial for the project.

ty , nadav.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 23:04
Quote: "it slows down to 40 fps which is really not playable especially if im aiming for a fast paste 3rd person shooter online."

In the good old days we played our video games in 25FPS over here in Europe and everyone was quite merry with that.

(Sorry, couldn't resist )

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In the good old days we played our video games in 25FPS over here in Europe and everyone was quite merry with that."

Haha, so true. Back in the days I was lucky to squeeze 24 FPS out of my old Voodoo 3.

Quote: "BattleField Heroes for example runs very well everything on high with HD resolution."

You cant compare a project created in a bedroom to a multi-million game project design by hundreds of professionals. They use all possible optimizations known to human race to keep the FPS at that rate. Unless you have the same capacity don't hold your breath.

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 13:06 Edited at: 7th Jun 2012 14:49
Hi,

How can be sur the command "dbSetEffectConstantMatrix" sent really the matrix with the values in the shader?

Because I think dbSetEffectConstantMatrix seems to be sending constant value 0

Ps: the shader and code work with GDK 1.0

But maybe it's me, who don't understand the new matrix Structure

EDIT1:
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Were the old GDK dbSprite and dbScanCode depreciated?

What alternatives can i use in GDK 2?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 14:15 Edited at: 8th Jun 2012 14:15
dbCreateSprite and dbKeyState. dbKeyState now uses portable virtual-key codes which will work regardless of the user's keyboard layout and language.

Now if you want the letter 'a' you use: VK_A instead of trying to figure out what scancode it is.

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you confirm the command "dbSetEffectConstantMatrix" sent the good value or "0" for the matrix4?

thx
silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I had see you sample Basic3D-2 with effect file et set random value when press space .. there a the command :

dbSetIdentityMatrix4(&matrix4Result);
dbSetEffectConstantMatrix(1, name, &matrix4Result);

but in update value fonction the matrix value shader are everytime 0 value .

It's really a problem or it's me who don't understand?
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone confirm a constant access violation on:

Most of the times when the window loses focus, (changing volume for instance using shortcuts).

Cheers,

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can anyone confirm a constant access violation on.."

I have no experienced this and have not seen a similar report of this crash. It's possible that you've stumbled upon a rare bug or you're corrupting memory somewhere.

Any additional information would be helpful. Narrow it down to the simplest code possible where it still crashes and post it here.

Quote: "Can you confirm the command "dbSetEffectConstantMatrix" sent the good value or "0" for the matrix4?"

I will take a look at this when I can. Don't worry.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 18:02 Edited at: 9th Jun 2012 21:02
I will narrow it down later, as the code is massive. It occurs after some time running the game. It thought it would be because the Aspect Ratio wasn't set to the Desktop Aspect Ratio, so I fixed that. And after some time during the game, I had this:

I am not using any pointers after they are freed + I set them NULL after deleting them.

That's all information I have so far, I will try and narrow the code down.

EDIT: When I set dbSync(0,1); somewhere during gameplay the fastSync variable gets set to rubish:

Cheers,

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Unless you can reproduce it in a code snippet then there is no way for me to confirm the bug.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:51:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:51:41