Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 02:02 Edited at: 8th Jun 2012 23:17

now on the droid coming soon on ipod, and kindle.
two player game that you can play with your friend.

this game also has snake speller a kids game that help them learn the alphabet. Almost the exact same game that I submitted to the contest except a few things changed. might have to resubmit because i spell veteran wrong, and in my signature I need the spelling game I guess.

google play link
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=snake+veteran&c=apps

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 21:46
Link?

There are a lot of snake games on Google Play - A LOT
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 23:30
i need to redesign my most downloaded app on google play piano basic. made it in a day and already have a few hundred people downloading it.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 01:18
Why are you putting all these kind of apps for free on Google Play?
I have the ReadMusic app, that in my opinion is very useful to learn how to read the music (I use it too), and I think the same for your app PianoBasic, and I think that this kind of job worth at least 1$...or not?
It is easy to have hundreds of people downloading your app for free, try to put a price and will see the number very low.
This happens because people is accustomed to download for free from Google Play. iTunes has more big spending people (because to become an Apple developer you have got to spend a lot of money, and Apple stuff is trendy and fashion), but the situation is not far more different.
So let's try to give a minimum value to our hobby!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Marco, it depends is they have adverts in them or not. They could make more with ads than selling, as more people give it a try because it is free. I have heard the android market is not great sales wise. I agree that 1$ is not a lot to pay for an app you will use a lot, but if a free app exists that does a similar job, it will probably be a lot more popular.
Best bet is to release 2 versions I suppose one with ads and one without ( or with extra features and no ads of course).

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 20:20
The problem is exactly the one you mentioned: too many people put free apps that do similar things. So their job does worth nothing (economically speaking, of course, maybe there are excellent free apps), and the other people's job is zeroed too.
From this point of view, Apple (that I do not love very much), is more cunning than Google, because they prevent people from publishing apps that are not exactly complaint to their standard, discouraging open-source and occasional developer.
Question: why do not revert to Apple? Because even earnings from iTunes have been mythologized a lot, and are not so high, and require a lot of investments (expensive subscription to Apple developer program, buy a Mac and at least one iStuff, etc).
I see a lot of talented people that literally throws their effort out of the window. Ok, it's an hobby, maybe they earn a lot with their primary job, they are generous people offering their work to humanity...
Earning by ads is not very high too. I collected 1.68$ in two months (having 32 downloads). Ok, 32 is nothing, but even if you have got 1000 downloads, the earning are (proportionally) about 52$. I know about countries where you can live with 1$ a day, but it is not the case of Europe, US, or even China or India.
And to have 1000 downloads we have to work very hard.
Even the belief that free version (or ads based) of the apps push sales of the paid version has been overestimated. Apart Angry Birds, Where's my water (DISNEY!!!), Cut-the-Rope or FIFA 20XX (EA!!!), and few others, I am ready to bet 10€ that most of people (including me) keep the free version and do not download the paid version.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't released anything yet myself so I am yet to see how downloads go. Hopefully, Moonsnaker will be released on ios soon, so I will get to see how it goes. TGC encouraged me to release it as a free app, as they are the ones putting it out I have had to go that way anyway. To earn a living from it, I would have to earn a few hundred pounds a week at least. I doubt it will earn anything like that, but it's nice to test the water. I imagine to earn any decent money you need a lot of apps out there, serious ad investment, or a lucky break of course!

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 17:30
Good luck for your Moonsnaker! As soon as you release an Android version, I'll try it.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 22:12
32 downloads and 1.6$ my apps have 50 active installs, and I have only made 0.18$
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 00:22
things are worse than I supposed, maybe your apps are so amusing that people do not click on ads
Seriously, or we are wrong about something, or the business model does not fit to the real world.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 00:22 Edited at: 16th Jul 2012 00:38
this is why I am going back to school too teach other suckers this stuff. you only make pennies for what you do not even worth coding a game that give you head ache. Might as well go to school into medical stuff or social work because only a hand full of programers actually sell something.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 00:31
Excuse me, 3d Point in space,
I am not English-speaking, I am Italian, you use some US slang I cannot understand. What are your exactly teaching to your pupils (suckers?)
Are you saying that the games we write do not give us headaches? I guarantee that I had a lot of head-aches from my games. The problem is that headaches are not converted into money. My current WIP is giving me a lot of troubles. It's about 2 months I has been working on that.
Maybe I can learn something interesting from you.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 00:42 Edited at: 16th Jul 2012 01:25
I am going into teaching apparently because the school district sees this as an essential skill. The only reason I have been able to program for so long with no pay is because I get a 1000 a month from the military for being disabled.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:16:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:16:44